Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benz240

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
I'm happy with just 2 ports but I wish they could be on opposite sides of the machine!!

wiseoak1

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
I use my ntMBP with my Thunderbolt Display and it works very well. It's not 4K or 5K, but high enough resolution for me now and everything the performance is very smooth.
Great! Do you use the "Thunderbolt 3 (USB‑C) to Thunderbolt 2" cable for it?

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I use my ntMBP with my Thunderbolt Display and it works very well. It's not 4K or 5K, but high enough resolution for me now and everything the performance is very smooth.

Been running a LG 4K external monitor with base ntMBP and it has been great.

That's good to hear. Can each of you comment on how performance has been with this configuration? Are you able to have lots of applications running at once, with video playing in the background, etc.? My only concern is that the MBP will be much more stressed in terms of throttling and heat signatures when in a clamshell position and having to power a higher res external display. There were reports that some MBPs exhibited graphical issues when powering multiple displays at once but I believe these were limited to models with dGPUs.

Also, how much RAM did you guys go with? The 16GB option would be nice but not for $180 and not if it will affect battery life. I'm wondering if 8GB of RAM is sufficient for development purposes and possibly running bootcamp or parallels should I ever have the need to do so.

Also, as a more general question, can anyone comment on how the ntMBP has been for light gaming usage? I know Macs aren't really designed for gaming but if I'm spending $1500 I want some assurance that my investment can run at least some light titles. Sadly, a few of the indie games I'm interested in playing recommend a dGPU so I guess those wouldn't really be options for the ntMBP.

From a price perspective, there really isn't much difference between a 5K iMac and a ntMBP with a 4K monitor. The latter option obviously offers more flexibility in terms of portability and usability but at the cost of power.

benz240

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008

this video shows lag when using Lightroom I was hoping the machine wouldn't lag but it does

Is it plugged in while you're doing that? I wonder if it was throttling down because on battery power.

If not, hopefully that's an optimization thing that Adobe will fix in a subsequent release of Lightroom...

carperjosh

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2016
Is it plugged in while you're doing that? I wonder if it was throttling down because on battery power.

If not, hopefully that's an optimization thing that Adobe will fix in a subsequent release of Lightroom...

that was on battery power same thing happens when on charge too

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
Has anybody who used both a TB and non-TB MBP noticed a difference between the keyboards? The keyboard on my non-TB model feels a lot "clickier" than keyboard on my TB model.

benz240

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
Has anybody who used both a TB and non-TB MBP noticed a difference between the keyboards? The keyboard on my non-TB model feels a lot "clickier" than keyboard on my TB model.

I didn't notice anything. Although I will say, that after having this computer for a few weeks now, either I've gotten better at typing less aggressively or the keyboard has broken in (I'm betting on the latter) - because it's a lot quieter now.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I didn't notice anything. Although I will say, that after having this computer for a few weeks now, either I've gotten better at typing less aggressively or the keyboard has broken in (I'm betting on the latter) - because it's a lot quieter now.

The former is true. Humans can adapt to any environment. You are definitely typing lighter which eventually will lead to faster typing.

fmateo94

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2016
Just reaffirming that we are 2016 MBP Master Race.

1. Best battery life.
2. No bootcamp blown speakers.
3. No graphics artifacts/glitches like 15" crew
4. Better iGPU than 15" (smooth scroll)
5. No missed TB keypresses
6. Way cheaper
7. Removable SSD component
8. No touchbar graphical glitches
9. Physical keys

I think Apple really, really goofed up the 15".

I think the trick the computer does to render the touch bar is really going to cause problems with 1st and 3rd party apps for a long time.

I think most people will agree with me on one point - apple should have given everyone the TouchID sensor. That is the #1 thing we are missing - however with all the money saved I could get a Gen2 Apple Watch to unlock my macbook so....

I'm completely happy with my MBP nonTB except for the fact that my battery life is only getting about 5-6 hours compared to the 10+ everyone else is saying they're getting. Are there any fixes? Or should I go to my local Apple Store for a replacement?

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I went from nTB to TB and noticed the same. The keyboard is slightly better on the TB.

The keyboard is not different.
I've noticed small tolerances between 2 different nTB models aswell, probably the same thing you feel right now.

I am not so sure about that.. I had the nTB for a week and 2 days ago exchanged it for the TB.. I instantly noticed a difference. Could just be different build tolerances but I can say the TB I have now appears to have a tad bit more travel...

Fedevek

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2016
Milan, Italy
Am I the only one experiencing poor battery life on the 13 ntb? Now at 48% with 2:52 hours left.... I've been using it since 3 pm ( currently 7 pm here) and it was pretty much fully charged then.... pretty poor if you ask me. What should I do?

dark_mark

Suspended
Nov 5, 2016
I went from nTB to TB and noticed the same. The keyboard is slightly better on the TB.

It seems like some laptops have clickier keyboards while others are quieter and better.

I have exchanged my 2016 15" twice. The first machine had earlier build date and had very loud and clicky keyboard. The second one was very quite and really good.

Maybe Apple is using different suppliers for keyboards, of they just quietly improved the keyboard with later builds.

Reactions: m-a

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
I am not so sure about that.. I had the nTB for a week and 2 days ago exchanged it for the TB.. I instantly noticed a difference. Could just be different build tolerances but I can say the TB I have now appears to have a tad bit more travel...

Could you both please talk about your experiences regarding battery life with the two laptops?

vishavg

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
I am working on my surface pro 4 at the moment (loaner laptop), and I have 15 tabs open, with 8 of them being youtube videos on google chrome and the fans are going OFF. This is the 8gb i5 model. I am wondering if someone with the base nTB can share their experiences with similar usage. Or better yet open up the same number of tabs and let me know how it goes.

I know google chrome hogs the RAM and is not as efficient as safari, so feel free to use safari.

thanks

Lou-X

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Waiting for the delivery soon (nTB 2.0/16/512).

This thread been quite lately, and that's good. I mean, I hope everyone is enjoying the device without the need of raging for something.

Any new feedback after some weeks of usage? The only 3d that pings like crazy is the one about the battery life, but I don't see messages about this model. Still going good without main issues? Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.