Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tuslareb

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
I received my basic model nTB yesterday, after returning the TB model. Absolutely love the battery life. I've been working all day from 9 AM. It's now 5:15 PM and battery is at 38% with an estimate of 4 hours and 9 minutes remaining. Synology CloudStation was syncing al day long and still is. No CPU heavy workload today, screen brightness around 50%.

The keyboard looks nice and I love the individual backlighting. I don't have any problems with the shallow travel at all, but I do have a problem with the amount of force required to press a key. They really need quite a firm press. It's more like a button then a key if that makes any sense. As a consequence I need to use more force than I'm used to, which in return makes this keyboard quite noisy and uncomfortable because I'm hitting the bottom quite hard. I hope I get used to it, but for now I can understand the design decision Apple made.

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2013
I received my basic model nTB yesterday, after returning the TB model. Absolutely love the battery life. I've been working all day from 9 AM. It's now 5:15 PM and battery is at 38% with an estimate of 4 hours and 9 minutes remaining. Synology CloudStation was syncing al day long and still is. No CPU heavy workload today, screen brightness around 50%.

The keyboard looks nice and I love the individual backlighting. I don't have any problems with the shallow travel at all, but I do have a problem with the amount of force required to press a key. They really need quite a firm press. It's more like a button then a key if that makes any sense. As a consequence I need to use more force than I'm used to, which in return makes this keyboard quite noisy and uncomfortable because I'm hitting the bottom quite hard. I hope I get used to it, but for now I can understand the design decision Apple made.
Did you get the base model?
Also did you get any dongles?

racostaf

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2015
Colombia
Hello! I think this is my first answer and I'm not from the United States, but happy to enjoy this community ... last Monday ordered my mbp nt, yesterday they charge to my card and today sent it to the store (for pick up).... I'll pick up next Friday, with these config:

mbpnt.png

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
I got the following dongles for the i7/16/512 model I got:

Two USB-C -> USB-A dongles: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2/usb-c-to-usb-adapter?fnode=4c
Two USB-C Digital AV Multiport (HDMI): http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=8b

One USB-C -> VGA (Belkin): http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HJUZ2ZM/A/belkin-usb-c-to-vga-adapter?fnode=8b

And an extra power brick.

Why two of the first you may ask? Well - I'm an SE for a software company so I need to have those in my bag at all times. So one I leave hooked up to my monitor/power at home via HDMI, and one is in my bag to be able to present to customers.

Last edited:
Reactions: threee

Tuslareb

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
Did you get the base model?
Also did you get any dongles?

Yes I did get the absolute base model (2.0/256/8) because I only bought it because of the apparent battery problems with the touchbar model. I probably get a touchbar version in a next revision because I want touch ID and ports on both sides. That said, I don't have any memory or performance issues yet. The basic version is just a great machine. Although a little bit annoying I can live with both ports on one side.

I ordered two third party USB A to USB C adapters, a USB B to USB C cable for my scanner and after Apple dropped the dongle prices, I also bought an original Apple USB A to USB C adapter. The latter one is great because it has a little cable instead of being a fixed unit. This makes it (literally and figuratively) more flexible.

DerRolf

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
Germany
I got my 13" Non Touchbar yesterday and so far I am loving it. I choose the base-model even though I initially wanted to go with the i7 processor and 16 GB RAM however I noticed that the i7 does not justify the additional 400 euros. The same goes for the additional 300 euros for 16 GB RAM.

I really like this device so far - the keyboard is very nice. You got to get used to it however I already like it and when typing on my 2013 MBPr feels very spongy after using the new keyboard.

Also tried to boot Ubuntu on it but it currently seems utterly unusable so far...

m-a

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Does the 13" nonTB work with the 27" 5k-LG Monitor offered in the Apple Store App?

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
I'm having a hard time finding a decent HDMI dongle besides the Apple one. I won't shelve 60 euro on a damn HDMI dongle... 60!! I can't believe it every time I see that price. And I guess it's the reduced price? I wouldn't want to spend more than 20 euro on an HDMI dongle, and still then it's too much.

Reactions: Ma2k5

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Reactions: m-a

racostaf

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2015
Colombia
Isn't there something you can buy where it takes more than one device like an extension?
But it would not be practical for me ... the idea is to have a charger at home and office and half the adapters the same, at home and office. I like to carry the equipment alone, nothing else.

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2013
Yes
[doublepost=1479923944][/doublepost]
Will be slightly big, but usable.

I'm waiting on an updated version myself.
Is that monitor a good one?
It's awfully pricey...is it just another overpriced Apple Store product?
[doublepost=1479927170][/doublepost]
But it would not be practical for me ... the idea is to have a charger at home and office and half the adapters the same, at home and office. I like to carry the equipment alone, nothing else.
I'm confused

racostaf

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2015
Colombia
Is that monitor a good one?
It's awfully pricey...is it just another overpriced Apple Store product?
[doublepost=1479927170][/doublepost]
I'm confused
Really sorry. My English is not good. From home to work I like carry only the Mac. Nothing else. So I buy adapters to keep in home and anothe to the office.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Reactions: ka-spot and m-a
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.