Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
University
Mainly word processing etc....

Yea but, do want want higher portability or bigger screen? If it sits on your desk all the time and you don't want to use a monitor, consider the 15 inch. If you want to take it with you everywhere, consider the 13 inch. Both are powerful enough for your needs. Actually, any laptop made in the last 5 years would be good enough for your needs so it all depends on how big it is, how it looks and how much it costs.

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2013
Yea but, do want want higher portability or bigger screen? If it sits on your desk all the time and you don't want to use a monitor, consider the 15 inch. If you want to take it with you everywhere, consider the 13 inch. Both are powerful enough for your needs. Actually, any laptop made in the last 5 years would be good enough for your needs so it all depends on how big it is, how it looks and how much it costs.
Yes
I'm thinking of going for the 2015 15' MacBook Pro

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2013
If you are willing to settle for a 24" monitor at 1080p you could get the 13" (more portable) and a monitor for much less than the 15"
Hmmm something to consider
But then that means might as well get an iMac
[doublepost=1479840972][/doublepost]
If you are willing to settle for a 24" monitor at 1080p you could get the 13" (more portable) and a monitor for much less than the 15"
Hmm might as well get an iMac then

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
True. I really wish Apple had released a third model with just Touch ID, and make it $100 more than the base. I would have been all over that. My base model arrives tomorrow (UPS has updated again). Looking forward to putting it through its paces the next 10 days. If I see a great deal on the TB version, I might jump just for the Touch ID.
unlock with apple watch.

vishavg

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
University
Mainly word processing etc....

I was in a similar situation as you a couple of years ago. I had the 15" first, and while I loved it, once I switched to a 13" I never looked back. The portability of a 13", in my opinion, trumps the extra screen real estate. I plan on getting the 13" nTB and pairing that with a 24-27" wide screen monitor. It's the best of both worlds and I would recommend that as a college student.

If you have some extra cash, get the 13" nTB + screen, or you could get a refurb 2015 13" + screen and that would save you 200-400$.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
unlock with apple watch.
While true that not everyone owns an Apple Watch, it is so nice to just lift the lid on the computer and have it pop to life. And Apple Pay on the web will also go straight to the Watch (asks you to double click the side button like you would to activate/select Apple Pay source card). Both are incredibly convenient.

The only thing I wish was that 1Password could sense that when an Apple Watch is on and unlocked on the user's wrist, typing in the password wasn't needed to unlock the app.

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2013
I was in a similar situation as you a couple of years ago. I had the 15" first, and while I loved it, once I switched to a 13" I never looked back. The portability of a 13", in my opinion, trumps the extra screen real estate. I plan on getting the 13" nTB and pairing that with a 24-27" wide screen monitor. It's the best of both worlds and I would recommend that as a college student.

If you have some extra cash, get the 13" nTB + screen, or you could get a refurb 2015 13" + screen and that would save you 200-400$.
Yeah that's a good idea actually
Is there much difference between the 12015 13' and the
[doublepost=1479844865][/doublepost]
While true that not everyone owns an Apple Watch, it is so nice to just lift the lid on the computer and have it pop to life. And Apple Pay on the web will also go straight to the Watch (asks you to double click the side button like you would to activate/select Apple Pay source card). Both are incredibly convenient.

The only thing I wish was that 1Password could sense that when an Apple Watch is on and unlocked on the user's wrist, typing in the password wasn't needed to unlock the app.
That's a good idea
Is there much difference between the 2015 model and the new non touchbar?

coopercoop

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
The non-touchbar is quite similar to the 2015 MPB pro in terms of performance, the non-touchbar is slightly faster 5-10%.

supajam

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
Just got my base non touch MBP 13 (in timeless silver :)). Very happy with the overall build and aesthetics of the machine. I'm having some UI lag here and there but I'm assume it's doing the customary indexing and iCloud syncing.

Not that it's totally relevant in this thread, but I definitely feel they've rolled out this gen 2 keyboard on the 12" MB's. My recently returned m7 BTO had pretty much the same travel, feel and clicky noise.

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
The non-touchbar is quite similar to the 2015 MPB pro in terms of performance, the non-touchbar is slightly faster 5-10%.

That's true for CPU and RAM, but not for SSD and GPU.

SSD and GPU performances on the non-Touch Bar MBP 2016 are significantly superior than 2015 13" rMBP.

Garage Battle

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Orlando, FL
That's true for CPU and RAM, but not for SSD and GPU.

SSD and GPU performances on the non-Touch Bar MBP 2016 are significantly superior than 2015 13" rMBP.

i dont understand why users dont get this.

2016 NTB macbook advantages (over 2015):

Much faster storage
Much better iGPU
Slimmer
Lighter
Smaller
Better screen
Better speakers
Better/larger trackpad
Single cable docking solution
External battery capable

2016 NTB macbook disadvantages
Noisier keyboard (less refined)
Less physical ports
Need for dongles (depending on what you're doing)

Find a 2016 ntb macbook on sale and call it a day.

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2013
Macs are tools not investments. ;)

I ended up returning the non touch bar for the 13"touch bar, because of the port issue, along with wanting Touch ID.

If you are a power user and are used to having ports on both sides, you might consider the upgraded 13" or 15."
Sorry to sound stupid but what's the difference in ports
The touchbar Mac 13 has more ports?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.