Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lou-X

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Almost one week with this new toy (2.0/16/512) and I'm testing it stressing it on hard multitasking plugged into two external monitors (1080p). My average usefor now is 20/60 chrome tabs in 2/3 windows + some Adobe Acrobat pdfs+ Ps +In/Ai + Fantastical +vlc +Filezilla + Transmission and activity monitor in background.

So far so good, I'm very happy. Zero problems (a minor lag in Indesign happened twice but an app restart fixed it).

I tried few (old) games but I think I will buy a ps4 for casual gaming, don't want to stress gpu and cpu: it gets too hot. While working on the other side cpu temperature are extraordinary low.

I just hope I can have the same performance with the LG 27ud88-W I want to buy in few months.. I wonder if it can handle 1x4k +2x1080p at the same time.

If yes it's 100% my perfect machine . Powerful workhorse at home and portable as a tablet for clients meeting.

hululu

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
Almost one week with this new toy (2.0/16/512) and I'm testing it stressing it on hard multitasking plugged into two external monitors (1080p). My average usefor now is 20/60 chrome tabs in 2/3 windows + some Adobe Acrobat pdfs+ Ps +In/Ai + Fantastical +vlc +Filezilla + Transmission and activity monitor in background.

So far so good, I'm very happy. Zero problems (a minor lag in Indesign happened twice but an app restart fixed it).

I tried few (old) games but I think I will buy a ps4 for casual gaming, don't want to stress gpu and cpu: it gets too hot. While working on the other side cpu temperature are extraordinary low.

I just hope I can have the same performance with the LG 27ud88-W I want to buy in few months.. I wonder if it can handle 1x4k +2x1080p at the same time.

If yes it's 100% my perfect machine . Powerful workhorse at home and portable as a tablet for clients meeting.

Hows the battery life?

Do you hear the fans?

Lou-X

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Hows the battery life?

Do you hear the fans?
I cannot tell you about the battery life because I haven't used it much yet out of the home setup.

I don't hear fans, I monitor em with smcFc and they are often at 0rpm. Running at 1000/2000rpm some times while working multitask (still not loud).
They kicked it at 6/7k rpm when I tried some games, but again : I think this machine is not suited for gaming .

MacMau5

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2010
I cannot tell you about the battery life because I haven't used it much yet out of the home setup.

I don't hear fans, I monitor em with smcFc and they are often at 0rpm. Running at 1000/2000rpm some times while working multitask (still not loud).
They kicked it at 6/7k rpm when I tried some games, but again : I think this machine is not suited for gaming .

derive2

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2016
I don't understand why people expect the fan not at 6000/7000rpm while gaming :rolleyes:

It's normal so cope with it.

MacMau5

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2010
I am looking at buying MacBook Pro. But can't pick one!
Either a 2015 retina (mf839ll/a) for 1100 OR a 2016 no touch bar (mluq2ll/a) for $1375
At Best Buy.
Which one would be better?
The 2015 has a faster processor at 2.7 while the 2016 has a 2.0

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Don't just look at the specs / numbers.. The 2.0 in the 2016 is actually faster than the 2.7 in the 2015.. The difference will be negligible though so it boils down to do you want to save the cash?

The 2015 wins on price and ports and the 2016 wins on just about everything else. Some are taste type things like the keyboard and the larger trackpad on the 2016.. You won't know if you like those until you get some in hand usage.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I am looking at buying MacBook Pro. But can't pick one!
Either a 2015 retina (mf839ll/a) for 1100 OR a 2016 no touch bar (mluq2ll/a) for $1375
At Best Buy.
Which one would be better?
The 2015 has a faster processor at 2.7 while the 2016 has a 2.0

Both good computers but the 2016 is nearly double the GPU speeds of the 2015.

The 2016 2.0 in bench marks 3602 single thread 7001 multicore, Open GL 26403
The 2015 2.7 3476 single thread, 6545 multicore and 16836 Open GL.

All to be seen on Geekbench Mac benchmarks.

Reactions: DeApp1e

Trixs

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008

Yeah, it's pretty sweet, I very rarely hear the fans. I don't do much that will stress processors though, and don't game..

Reactions: Lou-X

MacMau5

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2010
Both good computers but the 2016 is nearly double the GPU speeds of the 2015.

The 2016 2.0 in bench marks 3602 single thread 7001 multicore, Open GL 26403
The 2015 2.7 3476 single thread, 6545 multicore and 16836 Open GL.

All to be seen on Geekbench Mac benchmarks.

Idk what those number mean. But i assume bigger number is better.

MacMau5

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2010
Yes bigger is better. You should go to an Apple Store or Best Buy and play around with both. They have both on display.

Yes I've played with both. Browsing the web they both feel the same speed wise. Of course the keyboard and track pad are different. My Main gripe, like everyone, is that the new one doesn't have MagSafe which would come in nice when im on my couch. Worried that the new one would brake off the usbc cord.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Yes I've played with both. Browsing the web they both feel the same speed wise. Of course the keyboard and track pad are different. My Main gripe, like everyone, is that the new one doesn't have MagSafe which would come in nice when im on my couch. Worried that the new one would brake off the usbc cord.

Well then Save $275 and get the 2015 it sounds like that is what you want, And it is a Great Machine.

Aomin3

macrumors member
May 30, 2016
It could be a good thing they went with the old normal battery shape, not the terraced like on the 12" , because many 12" owners are experiencing degrading of the battery life and overall capacity. What do you guys think?

Reactions: Coco Nuts

iasix

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2016
Anyone here went from the TB to the nTB?

I have the nTB, I love it, but I'm contemplating getting the TB version. Not for the TB (I don't think I'll like it), but because of the spec bumps for just a relatively small price difference.

Can anyone please share there experience? I'm worried I'll regret it.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Anyone here went from the TB to the nTB?

I have the nTB, I love it, but I'm contemplating getting the TB version. Not for the TB (I don't think I'll like it), but because of the spec bumps for just a relatively small price difference.

Can anyone please share there experience? I'm worried I'll regret it.

I had the TB and just returned it for the nTB.. The TB is a complete gimmick at the moment. Maybe in a few years once apps and programs get updated it will have more use but time will tell. My TB glitched out constantly and I never got use to having to look at it all the time to figure out what options were there. Part of the issue is the TB functions change from app to app..

The spec bump is very, very minor and I do not see it being anywhere worth $300 more. The reason I went with the TB was for the added ports but even that is not worth the extra price...

I am happy with the nTB and for my home type usage I see ZERO difference in speed.. I do miss the extra ports but I gained back about 4 hours of battery life with the nTB so I am happy... I was getting about 6 1/2 hours on the TB and am getting about 10+ so far with the nTB..

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Still cant make my mind up. I initially ordered the 13" touchbar with 16 gig and middle cpu. After 6 weeks of no shipping and reading all the nightmare stories i cancled my order.

Then i thought i'd get the old 2015 13" with max specs, however it just didnt feel right to pay the top price for 2 year old model.

Then i saw the non touch version and while i like the design, fast ssd and the new screen, i simply dislike the usb-c only madness (love magsafe) and the new keyboard is really loud when typing on it, even in a retail store. Also im not sure if the fan will not kick in too loud after playing a game like Diablo3 for 60 mins since it only has 1 fan.

So now im sitting here willing to upgrade but it appears there is just not this one device that i want. Everything has too many drawbacks for a 2300 Euro purchase.

Last edited:

iasix

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2016
I had the TB and just returned it for the nTB.. The TB is a complete gimmick at the moment. Maybe in a few years once apps and programs get updated it will have more use but time will tell. My TB glitched out constantly and I never got use to having to look at it all the time to figure out what options were there. Part of the issue is the TB functions change from app to app..

The spec bump is very, very minor and I do not see it being anywhere worth $300 more. The reason I went with the TB was for the added ports but even that is not worth the extra price...

I am happy with the nTB and for my home type usage I see ZERO difference in speed.. I do miss the extra ports but I gained back about 4 hours of battery life with the nTB so I am happy... I was getting about 6 1/2 hours on the TB and am getting about 10+ so far with the nTB..
Thanks for your reply!

I don't need the TB to be 'useful', I can always just put it on the static fn-setting so it won't even really matter.
The added ports really matter to me, so that might just seal the deal. Do you really think the battery life is that much worse?

jksu

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009

all valid points but as a compromise machine it's the best overall compared to all the others for the exact reasons listed.

it's got all the features that i want/need now (great display, decent battery life and performance, in size similar to my old mba, future proofed with usb-c) and i'm ok paying premium for it. wish touch id included and 1 port on each side, and kaby lake but otherwise very happy. sure some if not all those features will trickle down to base mbps in the future

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Thanks for your reply!

I don't need the TB to be 'useful', I can always just put it on the static fn-setting so it won't even really matter.
The added ports really matter to me, so that might just seal the deal. Do you really think the battery life is that much worse?

For me it was yes... TB got 6 1/2 hours and my nTB gets 10 hours plus..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.