Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derive2

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2016
It's about 70C due to iStat. Below 70C the Fan is Out. Don't know how they make it. Just played Civ VI and After closing it the Fan goes immediately down to 1200rpm and 0.

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
Anyone know of a review with deep analysis of CPU/GPU throttling during intensive tasks (like games)?

Ilzx

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2016
I'm planning to return my 13"TB for the nTB as I can only get 6-7hrs while doing light work. Will upgrading the RAM to 16GB affect the battery life of the nTB? How much battery life should I be expecting with the 16GB RAM nTB? If it's not much difference than the battery life of the TB I might just ditch both and wait out for the 2017..

Dexter4

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
Canada
I'm planning to return my 13"TB for the nTB as I can only get 6-7hrs while doing light work. Will upgrading the RAM to 16GB affect the battery life of the nTB? How much battery life should I be expecting with the 16GB RAM nTB? If it's not much difference than the battery life of the TB I might just ditch both and wait out for the 2017..
I think increasing the RAM would decrease battery life. But it would be very miniscule. Unless you really need that extra 8GB go for it (or save the $200).

I am getting 8-9 with mixed usage & 10-12 on light usage on the base nTB MBP 13.

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
Debating swapping my touchbar model for an i7 16GB nTb model I found on sale locally. Anyone have experience with battery life for this? I was working on a publication yesterday with 10 safari tabs and word open with screen around 40% on my TB model base and it died at 7h.

peter1984

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2016
Debating swapping my touchbar model for an i7 16GB nTb model I found on sale locally. Anyone have experience with battery life for this? I was working on a publication yesterday with 10 safari tabs and word open with screen around 40% on my TB model base and it died at 7h.

That's the model I'm getting in replacement for my TB. Will let you know Wednesday :)

k2743

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Same, I decided to order i5/16gb/512gb still worried about color but I think silver will be looking good all the time.

I keep trying to convince myself I like the silver enough.. doesn't help they don't have any 13 inch silver models in my local apple store! They are all grey :(
[doublepost=1483105347][/doublepost]
That's the model I'm getting in replacement for my TB. Will let you know Wednesday :)

Interested in why you're going for the i7? I am debating whether to go with the i5 or upgrade it. Apparently the upgrade is not worth it. I think I'll go for 16GB though.

peter1984

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2016
I keep trying to convince myself I like the silver enough.. doesn't help they don't have any 13 inch silver models in my local apple store! They are all grey :(
[doublepost=1483105347][/doublepost]

Interested in why you're going for the i7? I am debating whether to go with the i5 or upgrade it. Apparently the upgrade is not worth it. I think I'll go for 16GB though.

It's about 10% faster than the i5 and this is my main machine (light gaming, mostly programming). I want it to be as powerful as possible but also take advantage of the battery life. Also, can't stand the touchbar.

k2743

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
It's about 10% faster than the i5 and this is my main machine (light gaming, mostly programming). I want it to be as powerful as possible but also take advantage of the battery life. Also, can't stand the touchbar.

I can't stand it either! Everyone keeps saying 'why don't you just get the touch bar instead of the processor upgrade on the base model', but not having the touch bar is actually a bonus for me! Plus longer battery life, and I can live with two ports.

Reactions: peter1984

peter1984

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2016

It's very distracting when you're switching between code editor/terminal/browser/emulator. The bar controls are always changing and it's annoying. I can switch the touchbar to display static controls but it's subpar in that respect too: no ability to control display, too bright, times out, no physical keys. Maybe it just takes getting used to but it doesn't bring me any value.

For instance, take Safari. It presents a short list of favourites (already accessible via the new tab interface), the search bar (easily accessible via Cmd + l), and all open tabs. There is an argument that it's nice to see all open tabs but either you have just the right number of tabs open to do your work and it's easy to point to them with the cursor or you have too many and the visual representation of a tab gives no context to its utility.

I would argue that the touchbar is anti-pro. It's for people who still look at their keyboard when they type. It would be immensely more valuable if it acted as a slider for horizontal UI controls exclusively, but that would eliminate all the other controls (esc, brightness, etc).

Reactions: k2743

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Touchbar is awesome to show off at Starbucks.

Everything else? Pass.

Initially i had ordered the 13 TB with 3.1 and 16GB. After actually getting to use it in an Apple store i immediately canceled.

Now Benchmarks show that the 540 and 550 GPU are like 10% apart so no loss here.
The 2.4 i7 is a perfect match of the 3.1 i5 so again no loss here.

Im also fine with 2 Ports. I rarely use anything but USB (have the adapter now).

I just received my Spacegrey 2.4 i7 with 16GB Ram. It's a beautiful machine.

Reactions: k2743 and peter1984

peter1984

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2016
Touchbar is awesome to show off at Starbucks.

Everything else? Pass.

Initially i had ordered the 13 TB with 3.1 and 16GB. After actually getting to use it in an Apple store i immediately canceled.

Now Benchmarks show that the 540 and 550 GPU are like 10% apart so no loss here.
The 2.4 i7 is a perfect match of the 3.1 i5 so again no loss here.

Im also fine with 2 Ports. I rarely use anything but USB (have the adapter now).

I just received my Spacegrey 2.4 i7 with 16GB Ram. It's a beautiful machine.

How are you finding the battery life? I'm going to pick mine up in a few days.

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Cant really say. I got it with about 70% left. I installed the 10.12.2 update and everything else. 55% left now. I think it will rock :)

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
How are you finding the battery life? I'm going to pick mine up in a few days.

rrzLuLC.jpg

Display brightness with 3 bars left until full.
Keyboard brightness on the middle.
Safari with 4 tabs open.
WhatsApp standalone app running.
Wi-Fi on.
Bluetooth mouse connected.
DropBox, iStat Menus, BetterTouchTool and SmoothScroll running on the background.

inesc

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2016
Does anyone have any dead display spots like this - seems to be a backlight defect visible on dark/black background only. This is nTB. All Macbooks I've had in the past 3 years have had backlight/display issues (especially horrible on the 12" Macbook) and I urge you to check your display using a black background. Check for backlight inconsistencies and dead spots. Apple needs to be hit hard with complaints and genius bar appointments so they get their slipping display quality act together.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    701 KB · Views: 175

Qwe9203

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2014
rrzLuLC.jpg

Display brightness with 3 bars left until full.
Keyboard brightness on the middle.
Safari with 4 tabs open.
WhatsApp standalone app running.
Wi-Fi on.
Bluetooth mouse connected.
DropBox, iStat Menus, BetterTouchTool and SmoothScroll running on the background.

Whats your system specs?

justabirdy

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
I too struggled with the 2.0/2.4 Upgrade. After much consideration I went for 2.0/16/512 and have been very happy with my choice. IMO, your money is much better spent on 16GB RAM or more SSD Storage.

For context, my daily usage consists of Chrome (15-20 Tabs), Chrome Remote Desktop, Windows 10 x64 VM, Spotify, Messages, Slack, Mail, Tweetbot, Terminal and some word processing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.