Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
I too struggled with the 2.0/2.4 Upgrade. After much consideration I went for 2.0/16/512 and have been very happy with my choice. and IMO, your money is much better spent on 16GB RAM or more SSD Storage.

For context, my daily usage consists of Chrome (15-20 Tabs), Chrome Remote Desktop, Windows 10 x64 VM, Spotify, Messages, Slack, Mail, Tweetbot, Terminal and some word processing.
What sort of battery life are you seeing with that use?

scoobysnax

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2016
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the $1349 base model from B&H. Too good of a deal to pass up. I'm coming from a 2013 MBA 11/128/4GB, and I believe this will be the perfect upgrade for me. Wish I had the two additional ports, but I'll live. Looking forward to getting this in hand.:D

Reactions: clunkmess

jksu

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the $1349 base model from B&H. Too good of a deal to pass up. I'm coming from a 2013 MBA 11/128/4GB, and I believe this will be the perfect upgrade for me. Wish I had the two additional ports, but I'll live. Looking forward to getting this in hand.:D

b&h is awesome. better than edu discount and no tax for many of us

Reactions: scoobysnax

conifer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
I am right on 10 hours with constant use of web (no video), word processing, downloading docs from cloud, only 15-20 min of FaceTime video, about 40-60 percent brightness.
Earlier I ran Netflix for about 4 hours plus light use at about 40-70 percent brightness and battery drained in 7 1/4 hours. Apple genius saiid Netflix gets inefficient after it runs for a bit.
Skimmed briefly some of the threads on the 2015 pro and it seems similar life, maybe the air was better but I would rather have the great screen.
I would like to see if a standard portable battery used for an iPad would be able to charge the Mac.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
Was looking to update my Macbook Pro late 2013, however put off by the price hikes.

But yesterday pc world had a cracking deal so i was torn between the non and touchbar variants. But after reading this thread i decided on the Non TB. So popped down this morning and picked myself one up. I doubt i would have if it was full price, but Pc world have them with £150 quid off, i get 8% discount from my works reward scheme and Quidco were doing 11% cashback yesterday so all in all i picked up the base model for only £1085 instead of £1500 so was a no brainer to be honest.

Have to say its a nice piece of kit, i even like the keyboard which many complain about but i find it to be pretty sweet. Now its time to setup and streamline this baby.

Very happy start to the new year indeed

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Was looking to update my Macbook Pro late 2013, however put off by the price hikes.

But yesterday pc world had a cracking deal so i was torn between the non and touchbar variants. But after reading this thread i decided on the Non TB. So popped down this morning and picked myself one up. I doubt i would have if it was full price, but Pc world have them with £150 quid off, i get 8% discount from my works reward scheme and Quidco were doing 11% cashback yesterday so all in all i picked up the base model for only £1085 instead of £1500 so was a no brainer to be honest.

Have to say its a nice piece of kit, i even like the keyboard which many complain about but i find it to be pretty sweet. Now its time to setup and streamline this baby.

Very happy start to the new year indeed

That's a cracking deal for sure!

Reactions: thering1975

clunkmess

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
California
Returned my 13" tb yesterday and got a non touch bar. They had an open box that looked brand new so i got it. Battery life is night and day difference.
Is battery life the only reason you exchanged? I got the nTB version: $1349 but now B&H has the Touch Bar version on sale for $1649. I'm wondering if i made the wrong decision?

parkersquared

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
Is battery life the only reason you exchanged? I got the nTB version: $1349 but now B&H has the Touch Bar version on sale for $1649. I'm wondering if i made the wrong decision?

Battery life was the main reason. I was only getting 4 - 5 hours of normal browsing with it. I tried talking myself into ignoring it and that it wasnt a problem but it got to the point that i kept my eye on the battery percentage and was watching it decrease. If i wouldnt have been used to good battery life i think it would be different. I don't think its the end of the world to only get 5 hours on battery from a high powered laptop but when its advertised as 10 hours thats the problem.

Battery life has been great on the non touch bar so far. So far i am pleased with it and plan to keep this one.

clunkmess

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
California
Battery life was the main reason. I was only getting 4 - 5 hours of normal browsing with it. I tried talking myself into ignoring it and that it wasnt a problem but it got to the point that i kept my eye on the battery percentage and was watching it decrease. If i wouldnt have been used to good battery life i think it would be different. I don't think its the end of the world to only get 5 hours on battery from a high powered laptop but when its advertised as 10 hours thats the problem.

Battery life has been great on the non touch bar so far. So far i am pleased with it and plan to keep this one.
Was the Touch Bar even useful or was it more of a gimmick?

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
I am also completely satisfied with my build - 2.4/16/256.

Today i was able to play Everquest using Wine for almost 5. Battery was at 15% and i plugged in the cable.

Meanwhile CPU temp was mainly around 50-60 Celsius and the fan was off most of the time. When it kicked in it was inaudible.

Great machine!

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL

You will definitely love it, that is a good jump in performance. Good luck!

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
I am also completely satisfied with my build - 2.4/16/256.

Today i was able to play Everquest using Wine for almost 5. Battery was at 15% and i plugged in the cable.

Meanwhile CPU temp was mainly around 50-60 Celsius and the fan was off most of the time. When it kicked in it was inaudible.

Great machine!

What sort of battery are you seeing with this configuration for more casual (non-gaming) use like Safari, etc?

On my touchbar model, it died at 7 hours just word processing and research via Safari with brightness around 40% which is not great. I'd like to see 10 hours with that kind of use.

peter1984

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2016
So I got my 2.4/16/512 ntbMBP yesterday. Happy to report that battery is great and so is the laptop. So far, no issues although it does appear to have been pre-owned (6 cycles on the battery). No biggie, battery is great. Getting about 9 hours of battery life on this machine if I continue using it the way I have been so far (video, mail, web, dev with javascript). I'm at 77% battery with two hours of work.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
So I got my 2.4/16/512 ntbMBP yesterday. Happy to report that battery is great and so is the laptop. So far, no issues although it does appear to have been pre-owned (6 cycles on the battery). No biggie, battery is great. Getting about 9 hours of battery life on this machine if I continue using it the way I have been so far (video, mail, web, dev with javascript). I'm at 77% battery with two hours of work.

What makes you think it was pre-owned besides 6 battery cycles. Was the apple box sealed complete in plastic?

clangers23

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2016
Just to chime in, still getting between 9-11 hours constant use on a single charge. Charging by USB Type-C external battery is great, I rarely use the power adapter.

peter1984

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2016
What makes you think it was pre-owned besides 6 battery cycles. Was the apple box sealed complete in plastic?

Just a guess. My TB MBP (returned) had 0 cycles. Besides, wrapping up a laptop is pretty easy. What do they do with all those laptops we return?

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
Going to take my touchbar model back, just ordered a non touchbar 16GB/512GB SSD, decided to skip the upgrade to 2.4GHz too, should be here tomorrow. Decided mobility and longevity were near the top of my list of importance, and now the screen has spoiled me too much to go back to my 2012 MBA.

Reactions: peter1984

iasix

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2016
Going to take my touchbar model back, just ordered a non touchbar 16GB/512GB SSD, decided to skip the upgrade to 2.4GHz too, should be here tomorrow. Decided mobility and longevity were near the top of my list of importance, and now the screen has spoiled me too much to go back to my 2012 MBA.
Same!
Ordered a nTB and will return this one as soon as I receive it. Wish it was different but the battery life just ruined it for me.

hululu

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
Same!
Ordered a nTB and will return this one as soon as I receive it. Wish it was different but the battery life just ruined it for me.

I guess we re all in the same boat.

ill be on nTB for now, if they come up with a solution in the next few weeks (doubt it with their secretive attitude) I might go back to TB...

iasix

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2016
I guess we re all in the same boat.

ill be on nTB for now, if they come up with a solution in the next few weeks (doubt it with their secretive attitude) I might go back to TB...
I had the nTB, loved it..
Then after the MacOS update figured the battery life of the TB couldn't be thát bad so got the TB.
5 to 6 hours max however is terrible, so back to the nTB. Bought the nTB at adorama so no turning back for me once I opened it. 1350 is a good price though and I'm open to sell it within a year if the next update of the MB will be way better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.