Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2016
I'm really happy with it, I really like the keyboard, I love the screen, the huge touchpad is really convenient and the speakers are awesome. Also the battery life is very good.
I can even do light gaming with it, this week I played a bit Diablo 3 with it.

Awesome, thanks for the input!! It sounds like a great computer. I'm going from a 2012 13" MBP so it's gonna be a huge upgrade internally and physically. I realized that since I don't use my computer much anymore a nTB model would be more cost effective.

person123

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
How is y'all's battery? I have the NTB and am thinking of exchanging it as the battery is not as good. Maybe 3 minutes per percent. Sometimes 4. 70% brightness on safari or iTunes. Nothing too heavy. No chrome.

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
Is the non touch bar will throttle and noisy went the graphic card not run just CPU on top speed ?
I mean that i like to use this for programming and need long time for compile (may be few hours build),
i don't want the fan like plane engine.

febLey

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2016
Germany
How is y'all's battery? I have the NTB and am thinking of exchanging it as the battery is not as good. Maybe 3 minutes per percent. Sometimes 4. 70% brightness on safari or iTunes. Nothing too heavy. No chrome.
When I'm just Browsing and writing think I'm getting around 6 - 7 hours, I've got some programs always running in the background like Dropbox, 1Password, Spectacle, Alfred, Flux and Telegram. My screen brightness is always at 75% and my keyboard backlight is off.

flyingspur

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2013
Dallas TX
Just picked up a nTB MBP base, silver. Must have been pure luck today. In Best Buy, stopped by the Apple
area. Just looking at new Macbooks, rep asked if interested, someone just returned one unopened, I can
sell it to you for $1049.99. Like say again! Yes, that is correct. I'll take it. But, he then said you have
to use BB card. Don't have one , do not want one. How about AMEX? Pause..... talking to someone, ok.

Mine! :D But I do not need it, I'll keep it though. Crazy to pass that up imo.

Reactions: jksu

conifer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
Time on battery 6 1/2 hours with 50% remaining.
Brightness about 50% most of the time.
Word, excel and webpages.
(activity monitor says only 4 hours remaining, but. my bet is closer to 5, given that I still have 50% left.)

edit: I do not have a lot in the toolbar, Alfred and one or two others, but nothing polling an outside service, like dropbox. I am going to install Crashplan and see how it changes the results.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2016
Just picked up a nTB MBP base, silver. Must have been pure luck today. In Best Buy, stopped by the Apple
area. Just looking at new Macbooks, rep asked if interested, someone just returned one unopened, I can
sell it to you for $1049.99. Like say again! Yes, that is correct. I'll take it. But, he then said you have
to use BB card. Don't have one , do not want one. How about AMEX? Pause..... talking to someone, ok.

Wow!!! You definitely got lucky for sure. How do you like it for sure?

scoobysnax

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2016
I just received my base nTB model yesterday from B&H and had a few hours to play with it before bed. The space grey version is a VERY nice machine! Not much larger than my 11" MBA either. I upgraded for the screen and storage (double my 128gb Air), but the keyboard doesn't disappoint either. Took some getting used to, but I've come to like it and do find myself being able to type a bit faster as well. Battery life seemed good as well - turned on at 56% and after 3 1/2 hours of browsing, light gaming, listening to music and downloading/installing apps, I ended up at 46%.

Again, only a few hours in, but definitely happy with my purchase!

Reactions: jksu

febLey

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2016
Germany
When I'm just Browsing and writing think I'm getting around 6 - 7 hours, I've got some programs always running in the background like Dropbox, 1Password, Spectacle, Alfred, Flux and Telegram. My screen brightness is always at 75% and my keyboard backlight is off.
With turning down the brightness from 75% (12 notches) to 62.5% (10 notches), under the same conditions I'm getting 1 hour per 10% so looks like I'm going to hit the 10 hours mark.

MacMau5

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2010

How is 1049 possible. That's below "open box" pricing no?

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana

Not doubting you but something seems shady there. First off open box is only 10% off unless there is some promo and there is never a situation at Best Buy that you have to use a Best Buy card to purchase a item. I know this because I worked there for 5 years and I also just bought a open box 13" MacBook Pro and was able to get it for $1250.

Good for you but something doesn't seem right.

kmac007

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2016
Not doubting you but something seems shady there. First off open box is only 10% off unless there is some promo and there is never a situation at Best Buy that you have to use a Best Buy card to purchase a item. I know this because I worked there for 5 years and I also just bought a open box 13" MacBook Pro and was able to get it for $1250.

Good for you but something doesn't seem right.

How do you find the open box deals? Do you just ask one of the associates?

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Hey guys I haven't posted here in a while but I just wanted to say that I absolutely love my new 13" nTB MBP. It represents a significant upgrade over my mid 2012 MBA.

Reactions: racostaf

Hallvalla

Suspended
Nov 13, 2006
I'm in for the base model Space Grey, should have it tomorrow. My 2010 17" is still fighting, but barely.

Adorama with the AppleInsider discount = $1350 USD.

StlCards80

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2017
St Louis, MO
This is driving me nuts, because more than anything I want the battery life. The problem for me is losing processor power to opt out of the touch bar.

peter1984

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2016
This is driving me nuts, because more than anything I want the battery life. The problem for me is losing processor power to opt out of the touch bar.

I can tell you I happily use the non-touch bar every day (play some older games at times, mostly programming). It doesn't feel slower than the TB version (which I also had). This is not advice but I was on the fence like you. Really wanted to the two extra ports, too. In the end, the nTB model was right. What did it for me was realizing that I wanted the old 2015 but with a slimmer profile and faster video... and this :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...t-thunderbolt-3-usb-c-hub-for-m?ref=user_menu

Hope you find the one for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.