Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StlCards80

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2017
St Louis, MO
I can tell you I happily use the non-touch bar every day (play some older games at times, mostly programming). It doesn't feel slower than the TB version (which I also had). This is not advice but I was on the fence like you. Really wanted to the two extra ports, too. In the end, the nTB model was right. What did it for me was realizing that I wanted the old 2015 but with a slimmer profile and faster video... and this :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...t-thunderbolt-3-usb-c-hub-for-m?ref=user_menu

Hope you find the one for you.

I guess I just feel like I'll miss out on speed. I don't need a ton of ports. I blog and I'm taking up programming. I know video will suck a battery dry so I'll stay away from that but is Facebook going to give me 4 hours? That's why I'm here.

peter1984

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2016
I guess I just feel like I'll miss out on speed. I don't need a ton of ports. I blog and I'm taking up programming. I know video will suck a battery dry so I'll stay away from that but is Facebook going to give me 4 hours? That's why I'm here.

From what I've seen, the speed is not so different. Mind you, I did splurge on the 2.4ghz model. The 2.0 is going to be 10-20% slower than the 2.9ghz model.

Reactions: StlCards80

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
From what I've seen, the speed is not so different. Mind you, I did splurge on the 2.4ghz model. The 2.0 is going to be 10-20% slower than the 2.9ghz model.

thats it? dang! thats nada, imo 10-20%

for what I do I'm sure that equates to zero,

macLivesMatter

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
I think i am going to get the non touch bar macbook pro today, after reading mostly positive things about it. Its on sale at microcenter for $1299

vishavg

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
Hey everyone, I've noticed everyone citing battery life numbers, among other things and was wondering what are the most reliable apps to use for this data? I have seen coconut battery and others? Is there one that is most wide spread

peter1984

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2016
Isn't that hassle?

If you want a discount, there isn't much choice. I used to get on fine with 128 on an MBA but it was tight. Had to offload everything I wasn't using that week (e.g. photos, audio, source code, etc.)

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Today i experienced a wiered gfx bug after opening the lid, waking the machine from sleep. All colors were distorted but after i logged in it was gone.

Anyone else saw this?

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Oh wow - thanks for the link. Will
Keep an eye on 10.12.3 as according to posts in the linked thread will habe this fixed.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Quick question, has there been any build defects out the box like the 15"? I know there is a long thread going in regards to the 15" coming with a scratch beneath the speaker grills. Any build issues that arose for the nTB?

peter1984

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2016
Quick question, has there been any build defects out the box like the 15"? I know there is a long thread going in regards to the 15" coming with a scratch beneath the speaker grills. Any build issues that arose for the nTB?

I used to experience graphical bugs out of the box with the nTB. Looks good since the update to 10.12.2

koenfi

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2017
Yesterday I received my base nTb MacBook Pro. This is my first Apple computer ever and I have to say I am very impressed! I still have to get used to the keyboard but I love the large trackpad. I am still learning how to work with Mac OS but I will take my time and enjoy the proces :)

Thank you all! You guys have helped me a lot on deciding which version of the MacBook Pro to buy.
This might be kinda off topic but any tips for a Mac newcomer?

btw: I only charged my MacBook two times now and on both occasions have gotten between 10-12 hours of battery life:D But the real test will start next week when I will start doing some more intensive programming for school.

Reactions: racostaf

peter1984

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2016
Yesterday I received my base nTb MacBook Pro. This is my first Apple computer ever and I have to say I am very impressed! I still have to get used to the keyboard but I love the large trackpad. I am still learning how to work with Mac OS but I will take my time and enjoy the proces :)

Thank you all! You guys have helped me a lot on deciding which version of the MacBook Pro to buy.
This might be kinda off topic but any tips for a Mac newcomer?

btw: I only charged my MacBook two times now and on both occasions have gotten between 10-12 hours of battery life:D But the real test will start next week when I will start doing some more intensive programming for school.

Congrats on your purchase! You're going to love it. Depending on your needs, you'll probably be installing Homebrew and VirtualBox/Vagrant for running Linux machines. You'll also want to install Xcode for all the tools that brings (e.g. gcc) and some variation of IntelliJ's editor. Make sure you have around 30-40 gigs set aside for your dev work. Some of those virtual machines take up a lot of space.

My word of advice is to get an external hard drive and set up TimeMachine. Schedule yourself a regular backup and you'll be happy to know that you have a copy of your life somewhere safe. Most of the native apps are solid (Safari, Mail, Notes, Calendar). Unless you have an Android, I would recommend them over Evernote and AirMail.

koenfi

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2017
Congrats on your purchase! You're going to love it. Depending on your needs, you'll probably be installing Homebrew and VirtualBox/Vagrant for running Linux machines. You'll also want to install Xcode for all the tools that brings (e.g. gcc) and some variation of IntelliJ's editor. Make sure you have around 30-40 gigs set aside for your dev work. Some of those virtual machines take up a lot of space.

My word of advice is to get an external hard drive and set up TimeMachine. Schedule yourself a regular backup and you'll be happy to know that you have a copy of your life somewhere safe. Most of the native apps are solid (Safari, Mail, Notes, Calendar). Unless you have an Android, I would recommend them over Evernote and AirMail.

Thanks! I installed Xcode, pycharm and still debating whether to use eclipse or witch to IntelliJ. I have a 128gb usb drive atm. I think I am going to order the Samsung t3 500gb hard drive as a fast backup device.

I now am completely inside the apple eco system with an iphone 7, iPad mini and now the MacBook. So I am going to switch everything to the native apps of apple to try them all out inside the eco system. After a couple of weeks I will decide on which apps I like or switch back to something like outlook(my current email app).

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I used to experience graphical bugs out of the box with the nTB. Looks good since the update to 10.12.2

What do you think about the nTB? Can I get it last 4-6 years on two USB-C, or should I eat the cost and get the touch bar model?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.