Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jksu

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
What do you think about the nTB? Can I get it last 4-6 years on two USB-C, or should I eat the cost and get the touch bar model?

depends. do you currently plug in a lot?

i don't use an external monitor so just use 1 to plug in to power up each night. if i do get an external monitor it will be one that will be able to power the macbook too so i would still have 1 free usb-c port.

my headphones are bluetooth. if i do a desktop setup i'd get bluetooth keyboard and mouse

so for me, 2 is fine

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
depends. do you currently plug in a lot?

i don't use an external monitor so just use 1 to plug in to power up each night. if i do get an external monitor it will be one that will be able to power the macbook too so i would still have 1 free usb-c port.

my headphones are bluetooth. if i do a desktop setup i'd get bluetooth keyboard and mouse

so for me, 2 is fine

Well, currently all I have is the little dongle for my wireless mouse which stays plugged in all the time (aside from power when I need it) but other than that, not really. Although I guess with the bigger track pad I probably won't need the mouse.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
there is one upside to two ports on nTB: no dongle clutter (comparatively)

spaghetti wiring coming from both side+dongle/adapters/dongle adapters looks fugly as fug,

Two ports will also discipline you to use your peripherals, and not the other way around: your peripherals using you,

Kill-Bill.gif

BLight

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2017
I finally got my MacBook Pro 13' 2016. All seemed ok, I like it. it has 101% of battery health. But it had 3 cycles. Though I guess it's normal. how many cycles out of the box did yours have guys?
And the second more bothering issue is that it`s having rattling sound or loose object when screen is open and gently shaking MacBook Pro side-to-side.
According to forums seems it`s a common problem in these year no touch bar computers and back to 2015 year MacBooks pro too. I called Apple Care and the assistant said it's not normal and I should bring it back to the store. But I also read next one MacBook can have same problem, or they can take it to repair and bring back in the same condition.
So please tell me if anyone else have the same issue with some sound in side of MacBook during shaking it left-right?

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
No ratling sound here. I had 2 cycles when i unwrapped mine so i guess 3 is within normal range.

BLight

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2017
No ratling sound here. I had 2 cycles when i unwrapped mine so i guess 3 is within normal range.
Thanks a lot. It's more not just when shaking it's when tilting the notebook to the left and the right (backward and forward is all right) is heard a thud, as if body something rolls over and hits the walls inside the MacBook. It's heard clear with the open lid. With closed lid it's barely heard.

Last edited:

koenfi

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2017
Thanks a lot. It's more not just when shaking it's when tilting the notebook to the left and the right (backward and forward is all right) is heard a thud, as if body something rolls over and hits the walls inside the MacBook. It's heard clear with the open lid. With closed lid it's barely heard.

That is definitely not normal! You should return it and get a new one. I received mine last week and even when I shake my laptop it has no such sound..

tCC_

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2016
Does anyone know how well the nTB MBP handles 4K editing?
It does, I am comparing the nTB with TB for several days now to see which I want to keep, since the nTB is almost as quick with all things thanks due it's turbo I guess, I don't see any reason to buy a TB version (touch id is the only pro)

Using GoPro 1080p and Mavic Pro 4k footage without proxy media and works like a charm

peter1984

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2016
What do you think about the nTB? Can I get it last 4-6 years on two USB-C, or should I eat the cost and get the touch bar model?

It's hard to look into the future. Something to consider is the daisy-chaining of Thunderbolt: an eGPU can also power your laptop; a screen can have additional USB ports and a power supply so you literally only need one USB-C port for the majority of your needs. At worst, you can get an adapter that gives you 1xUSB C 3.1, 1xHDMI and 1xThunderbolt from a single Thunderbolt port.

e.g. http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=8b

I'm okay with 2 ports but that's because my employers always provide me with a laptop for professional work. If I were freelancing, I would heavily invest in one of those new 4K screens Thunderbolt monitors with additional ports.

In summary, I think I will be fine with 2 ports for a long time. I don't do video or use external hard-drives so my needs may not match yours... :)

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
It does, I am comparing the nTB with TB for several days now to see which I want to keep, since the nTB is almost as quick with all things thanks due it's turbo I guess, I don't see any reason to buy a TB version (touch id is the only pro)

Using GoPro 1080p and Mavic Pro 4k footage without proxy media and works like a charm

Awesome! Now that 4K is becoming more popular it's good to know that this machine can handle 4K editing. Did you by any chance have either MBP connected to an external display? I'm curious if the nTB MBP can drive a 4K display and edit 4K content simultaneously or if that's too much.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Does anybody else's laptop get a little warm when driving a 1080p monitor? I figured modern iGPUs like the 540 were plenty powerful to drive a simple monitor without getting warm. Not hot, just warm.

Other than that, I'm pretty impressed by the little CPU and GPU in this thing, and I love having the Fn row, especially the escape button. SSD, speakers, and battery are excellent, as well.

Mixolyd

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2014
Oregon
I'm curious what kind of battery drain are you guys getting overnight? I'm used to 0% drain on 2014 13'' rMBP. I am getting about 5-6% overnight now with 2016 13'' nTB. Upgraded to latest OSX beta and still same. I'm wondering what the norm is?

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
It's hard to look into the future. Something to consider is the daisy-chaining of Thunderbolt: an eGPU can also power your laptop; a screen can have additional USB ports and a power supply so you literally only need one USB-C port for the majority of your needs. At worst, you can get an adapter that gives you 1xUSB C 3.1, 1xHDMI and 1xThunderbolt from a single Thunderbolt port.

e.g. http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=8b

I'm okay with 2 ports but that's because my employers always provide me with a laptop for professional work. If I were freelancing, I would heavily invest in one of those new 4K screens Thunderbolt monitors with additional ports.

In summary, I think I will be fine with 2 ports for a long time. I don't do video or use external hard-drives so my needs may not match yours... :)

Yeah, I just want it to be safe I guess, but it's not needed. I rarely use the ports on mine and it's just nice to have cause they're there.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014

Ooooh thanks for this. I'm still back and forth and hearing this makes me happier.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Alright guys.. about to put in my order for the nTB MBP from B&H. Cannot wait to get it!! Took a lot of going back and forth about which model to get but I decided that the nTB will work for me since it seems like a pretty powerful machine.

racostaf

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2015
Colombia
Does anybody else's laptop get a little warm when driving a 1080p monitor? I figured modern iGPUs like the 540 were plenty powerful to drive a simple monitor without getting warm. Not hot, just warm.

Other than that, I'm pretty impressed by the little CPU and GPU in this thing, and I love having the Fn row, especially the escape button. SSD, speakers, and battery are excellent, as well.
Yes, happen to me, but i think is normal... the fan work usually

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Haha definitely! Do you have any good accessories for yours at all?

I just ordered a pro case 12-12.9" off amazon for 19 sleeve with a handle. I have a similar set up for my 12" from another vendor and it's perfect. My oversized in case sleeve I've had since classic 13" days is too big

Otherwise I got a USB-c av adapter from my 12" and two USBc to a adapters that's about it. Guess I'm kinda simple

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I just ordered a pro case 12-12.9" off amazon for 19 sleeve with a handle. I have a similar set up for my 12" from another vendor and it's perfect. My oversized in case sleeve I've had since classic 13" days is too big

Otherwise I got a USB-c av adapter from my 12" and two USBc to a adapters that's about it. Guess I'm kinda simple

Nice. My 2012 has been in a speck case for the longest time, and it doesn't seem like there are too many options for cases out, but I definitely don't want to scratch it or anything. Think I might get a sleeve and keep it in there till good cases come out. LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.