Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lou-X

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
I'm using Photoshop and Indesign on daily basis for a week on hard multitasking on two external monitors: not a single lag (2.0/16/512)

k2743

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
I'm using Photoshop and Indesign on daily basis for a week on hard multitasking on two external monitors: not a single lag (2.0/16/512)

I might get the same specs as you then- so do you think the 16gb is worth it? And I'm looking to keep this for ~5 years so obviously need to pick a processor that will do me good for that long.

Lou-X

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
I might get the same specs as you then- so do you think the 16gb is worth it? And I'm looking to keep this for ~5 years so obviously need to pick a processor that will do me good for that long.
I think you should get 16gb as first choice, then if you have the money upgrade the SSD to 512. And that's it.

Reactions: zedsdead

k2743

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
I think you should get 16gb as first choice, then if you have the money upgrade the SSD to 512. And that's it.

Already getting 512GB :) so looks like I'll go for 2.0GHz i5/16GB/512GB. Just need to decide on the colour, worried about it looking really bad after 5 yrs if I get the space grey..

jksu

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
Thanks so much, both really helpful answers!

Would I be compromising at all on battery life with the upgraded processor option?

And yes I will be getting 16GB of RAM as many people have advised me to! So just deciding between processor and colour now.

like everything in life there's trade offs.

so yes, faster processor, more ram = more battery usage. depending on how often you're away and need to be unplugged the trade off maybe worth it

dillonbradley4

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2016

What is the value in upgrading the SSD other than simply having more space to store my files? At the moment I have a 255(ish) Hard Drive and have no issues with storage space. Is there a benefit to performance from having a larger hard drive?

Sorry if this is a really beginner question.

k2743

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Gaming, image processing, data analysis, programming. Maybe video?

I'll be using Adobe Photoshop and illustrator. I've been told that a RAM upgrade would really show 3 years down the line (I aim to keep this machine for 5/6 years).

Lou-X

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
What is the value in upgrading the SSD other than simply having more space to store my files? At the moment I have a 255(ish) Hard Drive and have no issues with storage space. Is there a benefit to performance from having a larger hard drive?

Usually bigger capacities can lead to faster speeds. Anyway the main reason for upgrading it is having more space. I have 256GB on my old white mb and it has been always full, so I went for 512GB this time.

svendobbelaere

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Belgium

I don't have the specifics on these latest MacBook ssds, but often when benchmarking, a higher-capacity SSD of the same product line is faster than a lower-capacity one. Has to do with the ssd being made of modules, and a larger ssd having more of those modules.

See for instance also the reports on the difference in the storage speed between a 16 GB iPhone 7 and a 256 GB iPhone 7.

As a side note, I wish I could manage 256 GB as main storage. I don't know how I'd do it. My current mac mini has a 2 TB SSD and I'm using a whole bunch of external storage on top of that. Different strokes for different folks I guess ;)

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Interesting thanks! Still would like to see if this holds true (not saying it doesn't) for this current generation, or how much they differ exactly.

peter1984

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2016
I'll be using Adobe Photoshop and illustrator. I've been told that a RAM upgrade would really show 3 years down the line (I aim to keep this machine for 5/6 years).

If you can afford it, do it. Over the 5 years, $200 for additional ram is not much. Same with the SSD. CPU, I'm not so sure about.

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Ok, I finally went to the local Apple Store and checked out a non touch bar 13 MBP. Yes it is a beautiful machine, I almost thought i was looking at the 12" MB as it was so thin and pretty.

But:

1) the space grey version seems very prone to scratches
2) I cannot digest the price tag (£1449 for 8GB of RAM and 256GB - my current MBP from 2010 non retina has 8GB and SSD 512GB upgraded it myself in 2012).
3) Currys have an offer - such model can be had for £1300. Even at that price I cannot justify this machine.
4) I read its battery is quite bad. Seems like my 6 yo has still a better battery than this new machine - I can easily get 6 hours. Where is the new battery going to be in 5 years time from now? 2 hours?!?

As a rule of thumb I buy laptops every 5-6 years and the new laptop has to be considerably faster/better than the one it replaces (and not just prettier / lighter).

On that note, it's a defer purchase for me. When time comes, I might have to resort to a Lenovo for 1/3 of the price.

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
I believe you are reading about the TB version rather than NTB. From what I read so far, NTB MacBook Pro has excellent battery life.

I see, thanks for the clarification, with so many negative threads I must have mixed a few things up.

Pity because I really like the design, it feels like something very precious...but my rule about technological advancement still stands as after all it is a computer so its primary purpose is to perform.

k2743

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Still deciding..

What specs would you pick for a student in graphic design (adobe photoshop/illustrator) and also does all the usual word processing, web browsing, watching things etc. I have the budget to buy whatever is worth having but I don't want to throw away money for the sake of it.

jksu

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
Ok, I finally went to the local Apple Store and checked out a non touch bar 13 MBP. Yes it is a beautiful machine, I almost thought i was looking at the 12" MB as it was so thin and pretty.

But:

1) the space grey version seems very prone to scratches
2) I cannot digest the price tag (£1449 for 8GB of RAM and 256GB - my current MBP from 2010 non retina has 8GB and SSD 512GB upgraded it myself in 2012).
3) Currys have an offer - such model can be had for £1300. Even at that price I cannot justify this machine.
4) I read its battery is quite bad. Seems like my 6 yo has still a better battery than this new machine - I can easily get 6 hours. Where is the new battery going to be in 5 years time from now? 2 hours?!?

As a rule of thumb I buy laptops every 5-6 years and the new laptop has to be considerably faster/better than the one it replaces (and not just prettier / lighter).

On that note, it's a defer purchase for me. When time comes, I might have to resort to a Lenovo for 1/3 of the price.

1) can always buy silver if paranoid
2) you're getting faster ram and ssd and architecture
4) you're in the ntb thread which has consistent reports of 10hrs battery life
5) future prepared with usb3

so i would say it is a great upgrade. but you could always get the 2015 and feel more comfortable. great value if not cutting edge

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.