Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Friend of mine went to the Apple store yesterday to get her 7 Plus battery changed. She played with the 13 Max.

"Soooo heavy," she said. "It hurt my wrist just playing with it."

Massive fail on Apple's part.

1633468887157.png

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Friend of mine went to the Apple store yesterday to get her 7 Plus battery changed. She played with the 13 Max.

"Soooo heavy," she said. "It hurt my wrist just playing with it."

Massive fail on Apple's part.

Yeah, I can't believe Apple is forcing all consumers to buy the max size phone this year. What a fail!

Oh, wait, they aren't? You mean, you can buy a 13 Pro, 13, or Mini as well? You mean, lots of people prefer the 13 Pro Max? Wow!

jcp007

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Third Rock From the Sun
The weight of the iPhone 13 Pro Max is heavier than the iPhone 12 Pro Max but not significantly so. It's something that you will easily become accustomed to. I've had my iPhone 13 Pro since last Thursday and I no longer notice it. It feels solid and premium.

Reactions: Bethanie21

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
You have no idea what their sales numbers are. You also don’t know how many people buy the phone out of “fear of missing out” over actually liking the form factor.

I love it when people try to make it so no one can disprove their point. We could have a ton of 13 Pro Max owner's say they love the weight and form factor, and now you can just wave your hand dismissively and say "FOMO" LOL!

tis

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2020
I love it when people try to make it so no one can disprove their point. We could have a ton of 13 Pro Max owner's say they love the weight and form factor, and now you can just wave your hand dismissively and say "FOMO" LOL!
My point will be factually proven when the phones get smaller and lighter again. At that time, all of the current people who claim the weight and form factor are perfect will be raving about how much lighter and easier to use the smaller and lighter phone is. Give it time.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
My point will be factually proven when the phones get smaller and lighter again. At that time, all of the current people who claim the weight and form factor are perfect will be raving about how much lighter and easier to use the smaller and lighter phone is. Give it time.

Whatever you say. I won't hold my breath, though.

Personally, I can see the pros/cons of BOTH form factors and have enjoyed both. For Apple to remove a Max size option would be a stupid backwards step IMO.

Why do some people have a problem that Apple gives people choices? No one's forcing you to buy the larger phone. I wonder if they are actually the ones with FOMO - so they throw shade at the Max so they feel better about not having one. Sour grapes, and all that.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

Personally, I can see the pros/cons of BOTH form factors and have enjoyed both. For Apple to remove a Max size option would be a stupid backwards step IMO.

Why do some people have a problem that Apple gives people choices? No one's forcing you to buy the larger phone. I wonder if they are actually the ones with FOMO - so they throw shade at the Max so they feel better about not having one. Sour grapes, and all that.
I never knew FOMO was a thing. I wonder if this is a type of phobia. I actually like the weight of the 13 Pro Max. I find its weight reassuring, it just feel well built. The really interesting thing about the 13 Pro Max's battery, its the smallest sized battery in its size category. What an amazing feat Apple did this year, with its improved battery life. No more battery charging anxiety. Imagine if the 13 Pro Max had a 5000 mAh battery like most of its competition.

Reactions: usagora

tis

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2020

Don’t put words in my mouth. I never stated Apple should remove any size option. However, people engaging in hyperbole by saying things like “the phone feels more premium because it’s bigger and heavier”, and “the phone is perfect” is ridiculous. Absolutely everyone would appreciate a reduction in camera bump, a reduction in bezel size, a removal of the notch, and a lighter overall form. Regardless of which phone you choose.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Don’t put words in my mouth. I never stated Apple should remove any size option.

Um, you said phones will get smaller and lighter again, and I simply said it would be stupid move for Apple to eliminate a larger phone option from their lineup. Not sure how that's putting words in your mouth ?‍♂️

However, people engaging in hyperbole by saying things like “the phone feels more premium because it’s bigger and heavier”, and “the phone is perfect” is ridiculous.

No, it's their personal opinion. People have also said the other models (12/13 or 12/13 Mini) are "perfect" - are they "ridiculous" too, then? Everyone's just ridiculous here? LOL! I think it's pretty obvious when people use "perfect" in that context, they don't literally mean there is absolutely no room for refinement/improvement in any way. They're just saying they're really happy with it.

Absolutely everyone would appreciate a reduction in camera bump, a reduction in bezel size, a removal of the notch, and a lighter overall form. Regardless of which phone you choose.

I am fairly apathetic about all those things you listed. So there goes your theory about "absolutely everyone" ;)

Reactions: Bethanie21 and RRC

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I never knew FOMO was a thing. I wonder if this is a type of phobia. I actually like the weight of the 13 Pro Max. I find its weight reassuring, it just feel well built. The really interesting thing about the 13 Pro Max's battery, its the smallest sized battery in its size category. What an amazing feat Apple did this year, with its improved battery life. No more battery charging anxiety. Imagine if the 13 Pro Max had a 5000 mAh battery like most of its competition.

Don't feel bad - I hadn't heard of the term "FOMO" myself until a year or so ago. I agree the 13 Pro Max is a really nice phone!

MM301

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2020
Don’t put words in my mouth. I never stated Apple should remove any size option. However, people engaging in hyperbole by saying things like “the phone feels more premium because it’s bigger and heavier”, and “the phone is perfect” is ridiculous. Absolutely everyone would appreciate a reduction in camera bump, a reduction in bezel size, a removal of the notch, and a lighter overall form. Regardless of which phone you choose.
I hope this is the last year with the stainless steel. People keep referencing bigger batteries and justifying the weight, but the regular 13 weighs 30 grams less…with a bigger battery. I don’t think those cameras weigh that much more!

In their product roadmap, they knew dang well that these weights were going to increase. They also know dang well that next year by decreasing the weight with the allure of a new ‘premium material’ will result in a lot of the folks who swore by stainless steel and defend the heft become upgraders.

I’m not disparaging the Pros or the features but I cannot get over the size of the camera bump or the unnecessary weight. I think there are a lot of folks that share that opinion. Apple could have easily had an additional $200 from me if those weren’t issues. I’ll be shocked if the 14 doesn’t make improvements on the weight or camera bump.

just my opinion

Reactions: tis and mel823

thermal

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
For me, the regular 13 feels more comfortable in the hand than the 13 Pro (due to weight), so that's what I went for. Not concerned about thickness.

With four variations of the iPhone 13, it's fairly easy to find the right one for you.

Reactions: Bethanie21

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Well Apple did the “paper-thin” phone approach before and guess what, the majority has spoken. They want premium materials, longer battery life, more/better quality camera lenses. There are no evidences, on a significant scale, whereby people are revolted by the huge size of phones, such as mass-returning these large phones they thought they would like.

Those who went to the 13 Pro Max, or any large and heavy phones for that matter, know what they’re getting themselves into. Apple did acknowledge that people do like smaller, lighter and pocketable phones and that’s why we have the regular Pro and Mini models. With all of these options in place, I don’t see why there should be an argument about which path the build and weight of a phone should be going. There’s almost an iPhone for everyone in 2021.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
And don't forget that these phones are damned uncomfortable to hold:

"Even after a year, we’re still missing the curved back of the previous iPhone models, first seen on the iPhone 6. Yes, there’s a nice grippiness to the sharper, more industrial-looking edges of the new iPhone 13 Pro Max, and change is always welcome in the world of smartphone design, but it just feels less comfortable to hold."

So you get thicker, heavier, and uncomfortable for your $1,500.

Yeah, enjoy that battery...maybe.

• Haha
Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020

"Even after a year, we’re still missing the curved back of the previous iPhone models, first seen on the iPhone 6. Yes, there’s a nice grippiness to the sharper, more industrial-looking edges of the new iPhone 13 Pro Max, and change is always welcome in the world of smartphone design, but it just feels less comfortable to hold."

Some people prefer the square sides!

Weight is only on the pro models, the regular and mini are light. There’s a choice, other manufacturers don’t give you this.

Not all of the phones cost $1500?! In fact that would be the largest phone with the largest storage. Minority will have bought that option. Cheapest is $699 or less with a trade in, bargain.

And everyone will enjoy their new battery… definitely.

Last edited:

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
Some people prefer the square sides?!

Weight is only on the pro models, the regular and mini are light. There’s a choice, other manufacturers don’t give you this.

Not all of the phones cost $1500?!

And everyone will enjoy their new battery… definitely.
I upgraded from an 11 Pro to a 13 Pro and definitely prefer the square sides. The phone just feels much more satisfying to hold.

Reactions: Devyn89 and RRC

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017

This will probably come as a shock to you, but not everybody is the same as you. Many others find it perfectly comfortable to hold.

Here's another thing you need to learn: just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they're stupid sheep. I mean, sure, if someone defends their choice of the Pro Max with simply, "Hey, Apple know best and I trust them," then call them a sheep. But that's not what people are telling you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.