Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
You’re really comparing 2014 iPhones to 2021?
emoji2955.png
God forbid in 7 years people change their mind.
emoji849.png
7 years is a long time but I'm surprised at how bad peoples' long-term memory here is (and I thought mine was bad). Apple went for a long-term trajectory shift that favored battery life and durability over a thin / light design as a response to customer feedback which is not something they do often. Because iPhone development starts 3 years in advance and builds on the designs that came before, it was a gradual shift and not something that happened all at once.

As an aside, I just upgraded from a 6s Plus, only one generation after the Bendgate stuff happened with the 6 Plus. Believe it or not it's actually possible to use an iPhone for 6 to 7 years if you really want to, especially if the battery life is good enough from the start that the normal degradation doesn't make it completely unusable by the end.

Last edited:

tangfish

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I am always a proponent of better battery life, even if it makes the device thicker or slightly heavier.

I wish they’d make a more rugged version so one doesn’t even need a case, which adds weight and bulk but in a very cheap plasticky way.

Reactions: Bow Commander

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
I am always a proponent of better battery life, even if it makes the device thicker or slightly heavier.

I wish they’d make a more rugged version so one doesn’t even need a case, which adds weight and bulk but in a very cheap plasticky way.
I actually think that would be a great idea. Kind of like a cross between the iphone 5c and something like the LG V20 which did exactly this.

ok3wire

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
Annnnnnd my featherweight iPhone X can do nearly all of those but feel comfortable to hold and carry around at the same time. Perspective ;)
Nearly all, but it’s camera isn’t as good, it’s video capabilities are less, it’s memory is less and its battery is smaller. ;)

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
The thickness and weight of these phones is insane. So what did Apple do? Made them thicker and heavier!

Personally, I don't find them overly thick or heavy. As for the 13 line being thicker and heavier? That's the 'moar battree!' everyone kept yelling for.

Laws of physics are funny like that.

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS.
The 0.1% of First World Problems = Complaining about luxury things.

More money doesn't mean companies give you what you want.
It means go buy what you want. You have the options. Many people do not.
If you've exhausted buying all things you want, then that is your rich entitled struggle bus ride. It'll be a long one, you just purposely made yourself unhappy because of something you can buy your way out of but chose not too.

Go work on your decision making skills rather than spending money skills.

thecooler40

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2017
Have an appointment tomorrow to exchange my 13 pro for regular 13, the weight is just too much. I'm coming from an XS Maxx and was surprised to learn they weight the same nearly but the 13 pro feels heavier bc its more dense.

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
Some people equate heft with quality. I personally dont subscribe to that because I use a case so I couldn't care less about the stainless steel sides. Samsung has been making big screen high quality phones for a while now they are much lighter. I showed my wife, who loves big phones (she has a S20+) my 13 PM and she loved it until she actually held it. The first thing she said was "wow this is heavy".

Reactions: yaboid01 and mel823

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Over the last couple of flagship iPhone generations, 3 things contributed to the weight increase(s): bigger batteries, glass backs, necessitated by wireless charging, and stainless steel bands. The latter of which could be partially reversed by using titanium (which is still heavier than aluminium). Battery life is now so good that batteries might get smaller again if future A chips are even more power efficient. I personally prefer lighter devices, but OTOH the sheer quality and luxury the iPhone 13 Pro radiates cannot be denied.

Reactions: yaboid01

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
I'm deciding whether to upgrade my beloved XS or wait a year. According to Apple, the 13 is 3 grams lighter, essentially the same thickness, with 5 additional hours of video-playback battery life. So much for thicker and heavier.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
I'm deciding whether to upgrade my beloved XS or wait a year. According to Apple, the 13 is 3 grams lighter, essentially the same thickness, with 5 additional hours of video-playback battery life. So much for thicker and heavier.

The standard phones are just fine, it really is just the pros. And the main culprit is the stainless steel. People keep going on about the battery and the camera, but it really is the stainless steel making these phones heavier than it needs to be.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
...The 13 Pro is barely heavier than the 12 Pro. You would never notice unless you have both side by side to compare. It also has a great battery (finally) and as a result performs like a powerhouse since it isn't trying to compensate for a small battery.
It's insane. The 11 Pro Max weighs 226g, the 12 Pro Max weighs 228g, the 13 Pro Max weighs 240g. The 13 Pro Max is 14g heavier than the 11 Pro Max. Fourteen grams. A half of a freaking ounce. That's hardly even a detectable amount of weight. This is people looking really, really, really hard for nits to pick, or absolutely irrational obsession.

Makes me wonder if people put this much thought into the weight of the fabric in the clothes they wear, or how heavy their shoes are, which they walk around in all day long. Out of curiosity, I just went and weighed one of my cotton t-shirts and one of my poly t-shirts. The cotton t-shirt weighs 188g, the poly t-shirt weighs 147g. That's a 41g difference, 3 times the difference between the 11 Pro Max and 13 Pro Max! But wait, it gets even worse - I weighed a pair of my cotton shorts and a pair of my poly shorts. The poly shorts weighed 192g, the cotton shorts were 274g - that's 82g difference, almost six times the difference between the 11 Pro Max and the 13 Pro Max. Good Lord, how am I not just completely physically exhausted on the days I wear those cotton t-shirts or shorts, carrying all that extra weight around? How am I not sore and crippled afterward from that hyooge extra burden? 82 grams, that's almost tHrEe WhOlE eXtRa OuNcEs!!1!11!!

rhylin

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
Nowhere, USA
It's insane. The 11 Pro Max weighs 226g, the 12 Pro Max weighs 228g, the 13 Pro Max weighs 240g. The 13 Pro Max is 14g heavier than the 11 Pro Max. Fourteen grams. A half of a freaking ounce. That's hardly even a detectable amount of weight. This is people looking really, really, really hard for nits to pick, or absolutely irrational obsession.

Makes me wonder if people put this much thought into the weight of the fabric in the clothes they wear, or how heavy their shoes are, which they walk around in all day long. Out of curiosity, I just went and weighed one of my cotton t-shirts and one of my poly t-shirts. The cotton t-shirt weighs 188g, the poly t-shirt weighs 147g. That's a 41g difference, 3 times the difference between the 11 Pro Max and 13 Pro Max! But wait, it gets even worse - I weighed a pair of my cotton shorts and a pair of my poly shorts. The poly shorts weighed 192g, the cotton shorts were 274g - that's 82g difference, almost six times the difference between the 11 Pro Max and the 13 Pro Max. Good Lord, how am I not just completely physically exhausted on the days I wear those cotton t-shirts or shorts, carrying all that extra weight around? How am I not sore and crippled afterward from that hyooge extra burden? 82 grams, that's almost tHrEe WhOlE eXtRa OuNcEs!!1!11!!

Small minded… that is all

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I love the new battery life on my 13 pro max coming from a 12 pro max. But these damn phones are too thick and heavy. I can’t even comfortably use the phone with one hand anymore. I’m not one who put ugly cases on my phones and even naked the added thickness is very noticeable as well as the ridiculous weight. I really hope the 14 is lighter and thinner with the same batter life.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
You guys are being absolutely ridiculous. How weak are you that an extra half-ounce and 0.25 millimeters in thickness is somehow too much for you?

Perhaps not everyone sees everything through some uber masculinity lens of "being weak" and something being "too much for them"?

Reactions: mel823

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
Perhaps not everyone sees everything through some uber masculinity lens of "being weak" and something being "too much for them"?

I wasn't trying to make it about masculinity, it seems like you are projecting that. But seriously, complaining about half of one ounce and less than 1 additional millimeter is complete hyperbole.

Reactions: azhava
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.