Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
It's simple, battery life matters. Bigger batteries weigh more than smaller batteries.

You want better battery life? Your phone is gonna be heavier.

Battery life on my 8 Plus is just fine. Great, in fact. I love it.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Thicker and heavier gives you 35% left in the tank and this ?off the charger at 6:24am currently 9:30pm ? love it, hope they make the next one a lot more thicker. ???

6A6AD0CC-3C2E-48EE-92E4-651533C905B8.jpeg

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
It's simple, battery life matters. Bigger batteries weigh more than smaller batteries.

You want better battery life? Your phone is gonna be he
The problem is with the Pro models. They again used poor build materials and thus the weight is ridiculously heavy in the final product. Look at the regular 13, the weight is really good for the size phone that it is because they used better build materials which doesn't make sense because that is the less expensive phone.

I think the Pro users really got screwed by Apple again that is why I decided to get the regular 13. I wanted the features on the Pro (and that light blue color) and would have gladly paid more for it but there was no way I was going to pay more for a phone with worse build materials that increased its weight.

I should add that even if the Pro and regular 13 were the same price I still would have chosen the regular 13 for the better build materials and less weight.

Reactions: Pat96 and mel823

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
I asked this in another topic but I will ask again. For the people that say they prefer a thicker and heavier phone, do you still prefer CRT tv's for your home over the thin flat screen tv's also? Just curious.

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
I personally like the weight of my 13 Pro, makes it feel premium rather than some cheap toy (Samsung, looking at you! ?). Don’t like it buy the 13 mini, job done.

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
The problem is with the Pro models. They again used poor build materials and thus the weight is ridiculously heavy in the final product. Look at the regular 13, the weight is really good for the size phone that it is because they used better build materials which doesn't make sense because that is the less expensive phone.

I think the Pro users really got screwed by Apple again that is why I decided to get the regular 13. I wanted the features on the Pro (and that light blue color) and would have gladly paid more for it but there was no way I was going to pay more for a phone with worse build materials that increased its weight.

I should add that even if the Pro and regular 13 were the same price I still would have chosen the regular 13 for the better build materials and less weight.
Agreed. My fiancée got the regular iPhone 13 and I got the 13 Pro. Her phone feels great, but my Pro felt like a brick to the point where I had to return it. Apple needs to address this... the battery isn't the main issue as her 13 has just as good battery life as my Pro did. It's the other materials mainly.

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015

It’s really not that heavy, and you adjust anyway. My old 11 Pro feels just as heavy.

Reactions: Saladin12

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
It’s really not that heavy, and you adjust anyway. My old 11 Pro feels just as heavy.
I disagree with the adjusting comment. When I got my iphone 11 it felt heavy to me and I too thought I would get used to it. I never did get used to it and it still feels heavy to me to this very day. I was so glad when I ordered the much lighter iphone 13 and can't wait until it arrives.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
I asked this in another topic but I will ask again. For the people that say they prefer a thicker and heavier phone, do you still prefer CRT tv's for your home over the thin flat screen tv's also? Just curious.

If they're from Apple, you bet! ;)

1632838223969.png

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
Strange comparison - how often do you carry your TV round?
Of course we don't carry tv's around (other than when a person is moving to a new house, etc). My point is that CRT tv's are considered ancient technology now, and cutting edge technology for these types of devices that show their advancements result in something that is better, thinner, and lighter.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Of course we don't carry tv's around (other than when a person is moving to a new house, etc). My point is that CRT tv's are considered ancient technology now, and cutting edge technology for these types of devices that show their advancements result in something that is better, thinner, and lighter.

Apple used to tout thin and light. Guess thin and light ain't so cool anymore. ;)

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
Apple used to tout thin and light. Guess thin and light ain't so cool anymore. ;)
The thing is, we know what is going to happen next year. If Apple does redesign the Pro models and switch to a Titanium build, thus making the Pro models much lighter, all of a sudden these same people are going to be praising how light and better those new phones are.

ok3wire

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
The thickness and weight of these phones is insane.
Yes, you’re right - it’s absolutely insane.

Having a wireless, battery operated device that gives you a day’s worth of run time and a TB of digital memory, while allowing you to make phone calls, video phone calls, take stunning pictures even in low light, record HD videos, send your entire library of music to your wireless ear buds, receive and reply to emails and text messages, surf the web, know your precise GPS position anywhere on the planet, while also including accelerometers and an ultra HD glass screen - all at a weight penalty of a mere 7 oz. is truly a miracle.

It’s called perspective, folks. ;)

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
Yes, you’re right - it’s absolutely insane.

Having a wireless, battery operated device that gives you a day’s worth of run time and a TB of digital memory, while allowing you to make phone calls, video phone calls, take stunning pictures even in low light, record HD videos, send your entire library of music to your wireless ear buds, receive and reply to emails and text messages, surf the web, know your precise GPS position anywhere on the planet, while also including accelerometers and an ultra HD glass screen - all at a weight penalty of a mere 7 oz. is truly a miracle.

It’s called perspective, folks. ;)
Annnnnnd my featherweight iPhone X can do nearly all of those but feel comfortable to hold and carry around at the same time. Perspective ;)

Last edited:

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
So, now that people are getting their new 13s, I see a lot of complaints about the weight.

It's simple, folks: weight matters.

You want to carry a brick? Buy a brick.

You want a phone that you can carry around and hold comfortably? Skip the iPhone 13. ("And hey, let's not only make the phone heavier; let's give it square edges so that people holding it tightly feel some pain!" --T. Cook)

Steve Jobs would have picked this up once and then screamed for T. Cook to come to his office, where Jobs would have started slapping around Cook immediately, saying "WTF IS THIS?!?"

Are you being a parody of an obnoxious Apple fanboy or are you really this far gone? You don't know what Jobs would have wanted and it's not fair to use it as a complaint against any change you don't like. Disney fans also do this with Walt Disney. Maybe Jobs would have complained that the 12 Pro was aggressively overcompensating for the smaller battery by constantly reducing visuals?

The 13 Pro is barely heavier than the 12 Pro. You would never notice unless you have both side by side to compare. It also has a great battery (finally) and as a result performs like a powerhouse since it isn't trying to compensate for a small battery.

Last edited:

ok3wire

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
The thing is, we know what is going to happen next year. If Apple does redesign the Pro models and switch to a Titanium build, thus making the Pro models much lighter, all of a sudden these same people are going to be praising how light and better those new phones are.

We probably shouldn’t get too far ahead of ourselves touting the perceived advantages of all titanium construction in the next iPhone just yet. Keep in mind that while Ti is a remarkable material, it’s not magical. Ti components that replace aluminum ones will likely be heavier - and Ti components that replace steel ones will have to be thicker to retain the same strength. So barring any new engineering advancements on Apple’s part, it’s at least within the realm of possibility that an all Ti iPhone could end up weighing about the same and perhaps even being a bit dimensionally larger than its predecessor. And let’s not forget that Ti is more difficult to machine and finish than steel or Al. That could mean increased phone costs, or corner cutting in other areas to mitigate the more expensive manufacturing process.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Are you being a parody of an obnoxious Apple fanboy or are you really this far gone? You don't know what Jobs would have wanted and it's not fair to use it as a complaint against any change you don't like. Disney fans also do this with Walt Disney.

The 13 Pro is barely heavier than the 12 Pro. You would never notice unless you have both side by side to compare. It also has a great battery (finally) and as a result performs like a powerhouse since it isn't trying to compensate for a small battery.
Also, beautiful German Porsches are heavy too! No one will argue they are beautiful... and worthy of their reputation.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Customers in 2014: The iPhone is too thin and light, we could have better battery life instead!!! And look how easily it bends, you should be ashamed!!!
Customers in 2021: How dare you make it thicker and heavier with better battery life and almost impossible to bend, I practically need a crane just to lift it!!!

Gotta love the irony here ?

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
Customers in 2014: The iPhone is too thin and light, we could have better battery life instead!!! And look how easily it bends, you should be ashamed!!!
Customers in 2021: How dare you make it thicker and heavier with better battery life and almost impossible to bend, I practically need a crane just to lift it!!!

Gotta love the irony here

You’re really comparing 2014 iPhones to 2021? God forbid in 7 years people change their mind.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
You’re really comparing 2014 iPhones to 2021? God forbid in 7 years people change their mind.
Also, it’s not even necessarily the same people, just different sets of people expressing themselves on either side of the issue.

Reactions: mel823
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.