Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I tend to notice comparative differences more and when I stop having something to compare it with I stop thinking of it as heavy. I went through that when I went from an 11 Pro to a 12 Pro Max. My 12 Pro Max felt heavy at first, although in fairness never intolerably so. My 11 Pro went back for a trade in almost a year ago and is a distant memory and now when I pick up my 12 Pro Max I sometimes catch myself thinking "Did I really get a Max last year or did I make a mistake with he order? This feels too light to be a Pro Max".

I went through the same process when I upgraded from an 11" iPad Pro to the 12.9" model. At first the 12.9" felt very heavy to me and going back to the 11" was, if I'm honest, something of a relief at least as far as the weight was concerned. Now I use my 12.9" iPad for hours every day and never even notice the weight.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I tend to notice comparative differences more and when I stop having something to compare it with I stop thinking of it as heavy. I went through that when I went from an 11 Pro to a 12 Pro Max. My 12 Pro Max felt heavy at first, although in fairness never intolerably so. My 11 Pro went back for a trade in almost a year ago and is a distant memory and now when I pick up my 12 Pro Max I sometimes catch myself thinking "Did I really get a Max last year or did I make a mistake with he order? This feels too light to be a Pro Max".

I went through the same process when I upgraded from an 11" iPad Pro to the 12.9" model. At first the 12.9" felt very heavy to me and going back to the 11" was, if I'm honest, something of a relief at least as far as the weight was concerned. Now I use my 12.9" iPad for hours every day and never even notice the weight.
Yeah I would have to agree. Coming from a 12 mini to a 12PM it was like holy hell this thing is a monster and I considered returning it. But having for 6 months I’ve gotten used to it. When I need to use my wife’s 6.1” XR it’s sometimes like d’awww so dainty ?

Reactions: Misheemee

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I wish I hadn’t clicked that. Amazon will be offering me adult diapers for the rest of my life.

Dodgy Amazon product links are the new Rick rolls.
yikes. I use DuckDuckGo and regularly burn my data so thankfully wasn’t logged into Amazon in the browser

SicTransitGloriaMundi

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2016
Totally agree. Apple has gotten crazy. I don't understand the people who need so much battery that they hold a brick 100% of the time in their hands. I would rather take a small battery with me or a charger than holding a brick in my hands all day. I can get used to holding the normal 12/13 but never the 12/13 Pro.
lol about not being able to hold the 12pro.
ad batter size: 13pro/max have 120hz screen. of course these devices need a bigger battery compared to regular phones with a 60hz display.

People have always complained about Apple's continuous efforts to make things thinner and lighter and the expense of functionality. They've finally done what should be done and it make it thicker and heavier for better performance.
this. it's true what they say - whatever apple does, there'll always be a group of people complaining about it.

an_apple.a.day

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
Totally agree. Apple has gotten crazy. I don't understand the people who need so much battery that they hold a brick 100% of the time in their hands. I would rather take a small battery with me or a charger than holding a brick in my hands all day. I can get used to holding the normal 12/13 but never the 12/13 Pro.

To me as a Mini user size is important but weight so much more. I would rather buy the 14 Max Non Pro next year than the 14 Pro Non Max. Just because of weight alone. Over 200g for the 13 Pro, the big XS Max was only a few grams more. And now 236g with the Max. My new iPad mini 6, well in a week, weights 296g with cellular connectivity. An 8.3inch device with 10h of battery life. Sorry, no, thx. But to each his own. Everyone can buy what he or she wants.

Next year it seems they do give us a choice. Weight or material/features. To the cost of my beloved Mini.

From a happy 12 Mini user.
yo bro. that's 188 words.

people who complain about a next gen device they've paid over $1200 on is "heavy" only to place it into some massive block of a case is just beating a dead horse.

slap a vinyl skin on the back, get AppleCare+ theft and loss, go case-less and complain maybe 2000 words less?

iMelhado

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2018
United States
I love that they have some weight! It makes feel that I’m actually carrying a premium device; otherwise, the lighter it is, the more likely I am to drop it.

v386

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2019
But it is contributing to pollution and is terrible for the earth. Yes plastic was great when we used it on phones. Older cars were awesome until we realized how much garbage they blew out their tailpipes. Now that we know how bad plastic is there is no going back. Apple has already committed to zero plastic within the next decade. Just let it go.
Few companies are as bad as Apple when it comes to making stuff that is designed to be replaced in a fraction of its potential lifetime. Many plastics can be recycled and recycling of aluminum is not without cost and energy expense also, particularly when the amount of aluminum actually in the product is trifling the relative cost would be high.

Reactions: klasma

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
It was nice for a time but that time was when it wasn’t my primary device. Aside from watching tv on a 65” in the evenings or occasionally using my iPad for meetings and Netflix I use my phone 90% of the time. A 4” screen would definitely not be suitable nowadays.

Reactions: Misheemee

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
What’s the deal with wanting thin iPhones? Thinner means small thin battery. Besides, the thinner they get the more folks complain about the battery. Ironic isn’t it! If Apple would make the iPhone frame the same thickness as the camera bump it would be better. We would have a better battery as a result. If the pocket space is an issue, get rid of the tight skinny jeans.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Agree.

And you know, my old Blackberry phone was delightfully light, small, and durable--and it used plastic! What's more, I dropped that phone many times. The back flew off, battery fell out, and in 30 seconds I had it back together. Never an issue with durability.

and by the way, I could replace the damn battery myself!

Reactions: Eftihis

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
The thickness and weight of these phones is insane. So what did Apple do? Made them thicker and heavier!

I used to think the picture below was a joke. Now I know it's just a leaked image of the iPhone 14 in its case.

View attachment 1834432
That’s the low orbit satellite version ?

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
It absolutely is worth it.

People have always complained about Apple's continuous efforts to make things thinner and lighter and the expense of functionality. They've finally done what should be done and it make it thicker and heavier for better performance.
The glass back does add to the weight, been waiting on that liquid metal for sometime now.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
My guess is, everything is interconnected.

For one, the new cameras are that much thicker. No point making the rest of the frame so thin that it bulges out like a tumour. At the same time, you know that most people are going to be using a case with their phones anyways, so you make the frame thick enough that the case evens out the camera bulge just nicely.

What to do with the extra space? Put in more battery, especially when the main highlight of the 13 pro is the improved video recording functions (which will eat up a lot of juice very quickly), and the faster refresh rate.

Reactions: pdxa4

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
again,its not marketing its physics , metal is not a thing anymore, the whole industries moved to Qi charging...on iphones only the frame can be titanium but the front and back will remain glass which is heavy
Apple is offering iphone 13 mini for those that cant carry 200 grams phones and its ok , Apple is among the only ones who still offer compact smartphones in 2021
Then why are the non pro models 30grams lighter? The only reason i dont get the pro models is the weight. Ditch the cheaper stainless steel like any other manufacturer and there wouldn't be a problem. No reason to use SS other than marketing and profit margin.

Reactions: v386 and jcorbin

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Seriously Apple needs to be dropping the Stainless Steel chassis. When phones are piling on weight with bigger screens, cameras and batteries it seems nuts to be purposely using a heavier material, you need to save weight where you can.

Aluminium is about one third of the weight of stainless steel and is the material Apple should be using, period. When put in a case the only think you'll notice is that it's lighter.
Bingo!

Reactions: jcorbin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.