Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
I wanna say it was sarcasm but it’s hard to tell sometimes.
Not sarcasm. Other manufacturers are achieving this, why can’t Apple also? People seem to either ignore this fact, or don’t realize what other manufacturers are achieving exactly this. As Apple customers why do we have to settle for less when it comes to manufacturing?

Apple needs to put on their big boy pants and do better. They do so many things very well, but fail miserably in this regard.

Apple has achieved success in this regard even recently, just look at the iPhone 12. It boggles my mind what went wrong this time though. However, history repeats itself so maybe next year they will right the ship.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
I have said this before and I will say it again:

You can make a big display phone, with a big battery, and it doesn't have to weigh a lot. Many Android flagship phones over the years (I am using this since Android phones really are the only thing to compare to) were big, great battery life, and weighed a lot less than these iphones. I just don't understand what is going through Apple's mind when they are thinking "hey, lets make these phones effing heavy". The only thing that I can think of is that they are doing it, choosing materials, that make the phones cheaper to produce.

I currently have an Iphone 11 and to me it is a heavy phone. My previous phone for example was a Pixel 2 XL. That Pixel had a much bigger screen, MUCH bigger battery, it still had a nice premium build and yet it weighed .6 ounces less than my iphone 11. What gives?
Bingo. Its all marketing. 7000 series Aluminum costs almost four times as much and is a more premium, more expensive metal. They use in the aero space industry to make spacecraft and satellites. It was developed as a cheaper alternative to titanium and has similar properties to titanium. People are going crazy over the iphone 14 possible use of titanium but fail to realize that they have a very similar metal available to them.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Bingo. Its all marketing. 7000 series Aluminum costs almost four times as much and is a more premium, more expensive metal. They use in the aero space industry to make spacecraft and satellites. It was developed as a cheaper alternative to titanium and has similar properties to titanium. People are going crazy over the iphone 14 possible use of titanium but fail to realize that they have a very similar metal available to them.
again,its not marketing its physics , metal is not a thing anymore, the whole industries moved to Qi charging...on iphones only the frame can be titanium but the front and back will remain glass which is heavy
Apple is offering iphone 13 mini for those that cant carry 200 grams phones and its ok , Apple is among the only ones who still offer compact smartphones in 2021

Last edited:
Reactions: Shirasaki

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
They need to be thicker! the iPhone 12 is too F8king skinny to use without adding some bulk just you can you can hold it.

Reactions: Serban55

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
I'm slightly worried about this, I bought the Pro.. coming from a 6s plus, this new phone will be heavier.. I think I might have arthritis or something as I have pain sometimes , will see how it goes.. I'll have two weeks to test it if not return it

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
I'm slightly worried about this, I bought the Pro.. coming from a 6s plus, this new phone will be heavier.. I think I might have arthritis or something as I have pain sometimes , will see how it goes.. I'll have two weeks to test it if not return it

To me, the 6 Plus was already disappointingly heavier than the 6. What is Apple thinking? Who carries these bricks around? They're ridiculous.

My friend tried the 12 max and couldn't deal with it. So heavy that she was afraid she was going to drop it on her face when she was looking at it while lying down. Now the 13 is heavier and thicker? A joke.

It's a pain (in the wrist).

Fluttershy462

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2019
Albuquerque, NM
It's good that its thicker. It makes it that much more usable without a case, plus more battery is obviously better.

It's so dumb to keep wanting thinner phones when it costs features and usability.

Reactions: compwiz1202

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
It's good that its thicker. It makes it that much more usable without a case, plus more battery is obviously better.

It's so dumb to keep wanting thinner phones when it costs features and usability.

The mind caught in the grip of "I want" will reach for any justification for the temporary satisfaction. That is why "want" is so dangerous--and antithetical to wellbeing.

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
I am thinking about upgrading from my vintage iPhone 6 but thickness is a key concern of mine. One of the key reasons holding me back and have me thinking about the SE2020 as an alternative.

Mostly carrying the phone around in my front pocket so every inch/ millimeter counts.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
To me, the 6 Plus was already disappointingly heavier than the 6. What is Apple thinking? Who carries these bricks around? They're ridiculous.

My friend tried the 12 max and couldn't deal with it. So heavy that she was afraid she was going to drop it on her face when she was looking at it while lying down. Now the 13 is heavier and thicker? A joke.

It's a pain (in the wrist).

I feel the same, yet many people clearly don’t mind carrying bricks judging by the sales of Plus/Max models.

tomtad

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2015
Seriously Apple needs to be dropping the Stainless Steel chassis. When phones are piling on weight with bigger screens, cameras and batteries it seems nuts to be purposely using a heavier material, you need to save weight where you can.

Aluminium is about one third of the weight of stainless steel and is the material Apple should be using, period. When put in a case the only think you'll notice is that it's lighter.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Seriously Apple needs to be dropping the Stainless Steel. When phones are piling on weight with bigger screens, cameras and batteries it seems nuts to be purposely using a heavier material, you need to save weight where you can.

Aluminium is about one third of the weight of stainless steel and is the material Apple should be using, period. When put in a case the only think you'll notice is that it's lighter.

Agree.

And you know, my old Blackberry phone was delightfully light, small, and durable--and it used plastic! What's more, I dropped that phone many times. The back flew off, battery fell out, and in 30 seconds I had it back together. Never an issue with durability.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Not sarcasm. Other manufacturers are achieving this, why can’t Apple also? People seem to either ignore this fact, or don’t realize what other manufacturers are achieving exactly this. As Apple customers why do we have to settle for less when it comes to manufacturing?

Apple needs to put on their big boy pants and do better. They do so many things very well, but fail miserably in this regard.

Apple has achieved success in this regard even recently, just look at the iPhone 12. It boggles my mind what went wrong this time though. However, history repeats itself so maybe next year they will right the ship.
Historically Apple has always lagged behind other OEMs because the technology is typically new and imperfect. Usually Apple fans will get a feature that android has had for years and be happy knowing that the wait was worth it because it’ll work and be reliable. I wouldn’t be surprised if that were the case with battery technology as well. And since we’re not talking about a notification pane or App Library but the life blood of the phone, it stands to reason that they would give it even more scrutiny. Especially with the Note 7 fiasco as precedent for bad battery publicity.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Agree.

And you know, my old Blackberry phone was delightfully light, small, and durable--and it used plastic! What's more, I dropped that phone many times. The back flew off, battery fell out, and in 30 seconds I had it back together. Never an issue with durability.
But it is contributing to pollution and is terrible for the earth. Yes plastic was great when we used it on phones. Older cars were awesome until we realized how much garbage they blew out their tailpipes. Now that we know how bad plastic is there is no going back. Apple has already committed to zero plastic within the next decade. Just let it go.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
The thickness and weight of these phones is insane. So what did Apple do? Made them thicker and heavier!

I used to think the picture below was a joke. Now I know it's just a leaked image of the iPhone 14 in its case.

View attachment 1834432
Buy an iPhone mini

Reactions: mizzourah

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Agree. All of these people complain about weight and then a good portion of them throw a giant case and screen protector on it. There always has to be something to complain about I suppose

Reactions: mizzourah
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.