Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Misheemee

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
I tend to notice comparative differences more and when I stop having something to compare it with I stop thinking of it as heavy. I went through that when I went from an 11 Pro to a 12 Pro Max. My 12 Pro Max felt heavy at first, although in fairness never intolerably so. My 11 Pro went back for a trade in almost a year ago and is a distant memory and now when I pick up my 12 Pro Max I sometimes catch myself thinking "Did I really get a Max last year or did I make a mistake with he order? This feels too light to be a Pro Max".

I went through the same process when I upgraded from an 11" iPad Pro to the 12.9" model. At first the 12.9" felt very heavy to me and going back to the 11" was, if I'm honest, something of a relief at least as far as the weight was concerned. Now I use my 12.9" iPad for hours every day and never even notice the weight.
Yup, this!! ☝️☝️☝️

I was soooo worried when buying my 12.9” iPad Pro based on all the reviews and everything I read from people who bought them. Have had mine for 3 years and have never had a second thought about it.

Also went back and forth when getting my XS Max, and forgot about how big it was, and the additional weight of it about a week after I got it.

Pro Max on the way…

Reactions: Saladin12

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
It absolutely is worth it.

People have always complained about Apple's continuous efforts to make things thinner and lighter and the expense of functionality. They've finally done what should be done and it make it thicker and heavier for better performance.
Finally? They have been making the phones thicker and heavier for a while now.

Reactions: mel823

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
… and you know this how? They haven’t even been released yet.
Bigger batteries normally means better battery life or am I missing something?

Apple is betting the house on it as well ?

EF35A07A-C7B6-4A3B-BD09-19F70C634586.jpeg

Reactions: seezar and bnekic

RealSkyDiver

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
The thickness and weight of these phones is insane. So what did Apple do? Made them thicker and heavier!

I used to think the picture below was a joke. Now I know it's just a leaked image of the iPhone 14 in its case.

View attachment 1834432
I like thick things…

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
Stop putting cases on your phones, and it will be lighter. You’re. Welcome.
I would do that if they weren’t crazy slippery. My iPhone 11, whenever I am switching cases it always feels like it’s going to squirt right out of my hand.

The only iPhone that didn’t seem slippery to me was the 5c. I would love if they did a future SE with a grippy plastic back like that again. Or give me a phone with the same back as the Nexus 5, now that was the ultimate build material.

NameRequired

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2020
I would do that if they weren’t crazy slippery. My iPhone 11, whenever I am switching cases it always feels like it’s going to squirt right out of my hand.

The only iPhone that didn’t seem slippery to me was the 5c. I would love if they did a future SE with a grippy plastic back like that again. Or give me a phone with the same back as the Nexus 5, now that was the ultimate build material.
I’m downright full of solutions:

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
It's .25mm thicker and just a tad heavier. You likely wouldn't notice unless you had a side by side comparison.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
It's .25mm thicker and just a tad heavier. You likely wouldn't notice unless you had a side by side comparison.

Oh, yeah? I see others aren't agreeing with you:

Reactions: baypharm

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
The weight of iPhones have always been a make it or break trait on my phones of choice. It's a shame that these phones are getting heavier every year. I'm not interested in carrying TV in my pocket thank you very much.

Good thing the iPhone SE and Mini are still available.

innov8ional

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2021
three words NOT WORTH IT
Actually. 2 days now with my 13 Pro Max and the battery size has actually relieved a lot of battery anxiety. I love it. That being said, though, the phone is heavy enough to be used as a small weapon. LOL!

innov8ional

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2021
six words STEVE JOBS WOULD HATE THESE PHONES
Would he, though? At it's very core it represents a lot of things that Apple embodies. We can be annoyed and frustrated with their incrementalism but the ones to blame is the year on year upgraders that reward this marketing behavior.

Now I do think Steve would be annoyed with the incrementalism reaching such a minute level as it has in 2021.

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
Doing a side by side comparison with the 12 Pro and 13 Pro, the 13 Pro is heavier, but I would never have realized without having both phones on hand to compare. I will gladly take this, and a powerhouse phone with a long-lasting battery over the 12 Pro which constantly felt like it was over-compensating for the battery with reduced performance (yes I checked all the related settings on this).

Also, I prefer heavier phones. A solid, weighty phone feels more luxurious and justifiable for the price. One of the many reasons I am avoidant of Samsung and Google phones is that they (other than the Samsung Ultra series) feel light and plastic-y.

Last edited:

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
So, now that people are getting their new 13s, I see a lot of complaints about the weight.

It's simple, folks: weight matters.

You want to carry a brick? Buy a brick.

You want a phone that you can carry around and hold comfortably? Skip the iPhone 13. ("And hey, let's not only make the phone heavier; let's give it square edges so that people holding it tightly feel some pain!" --T. Cook)

Steve Jobs would have picked this up once and then screamed for T. Cook to come to his office, where Jobs would have started slapping around Cook immediately, saying "WTF IS THIS?!?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.