Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple's shares were $5 higher in 2011, so in 5 years, the price has fallen. Compare that to 2006-2011; it's a brutal comparison. There are many dissatisfied shareholders.

There is a growing question of whether Cook is the man to lead Apple into the future, and it seems more and more that the answer is no. His big Get out of Jail card was the financial side for several years, but even this is now deteriorating. I think that Apple is already quietly both looking for and preparing a successor to Cook. Almost all of Apple's profits still comes from products, which shows how crucial they are to Apple, and also how vulnerable Apple are to the end of growth.

I think a large part of the share's poor performance in the past year is due to the lacklustre response to the Apple Watch. Even if it finds a niche, it is clear that it is not going to replace the iPhone, or even become as big as the iPad. And that begs the question: can Apple produce another huge hit beyond the iPhone? I don't think it can.
I can't bemoan too loudly my apple holdings, but according to yahoo the adjusted close is double that of 2011, but down in a year...but the whole market is a bit off.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The dude seriously tried to make "iPod socks" a thing. I'm not seeing where watch bands would make him cringe.

View attachment 638870
Yeah well did he introduce them at every possible keynote ?Coz it really annoys me when Cook introduces them at every keynote and there is applause as if it's something out of this world

That's something Jobs wouldn't approve of

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The world in general, how could YOU possible know that? Do you have a source that cites the "world in general" or is it a wee bit of hyperbole?

Who was CEO when there were 10 record breaking quarters in a row and apple became the most valuable company in the world?

Seems like this CEO is doing his job.
The world has spoken.Sales of iPad continue to tank. iPhone sales to continue their decline .Apple Watch Sales reportedly subpart.Yup Outstanding job Timmy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The world has spoken.Sales of iPad continue to tank. iPhone sales to continue their decline .Apple Watch Sales reportedly subpart.Yup Outstanding job Timmy
Nice deflection, however you didn't answer the question and forgot to add the most valuable and admired company in the world. Outstanding job Timmy. The world has spoken.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Apple's shares were $5 higher in 2011, so in 5 years, the price has fallen. Compare that to 2006-2011; it's a brutal comparison. There are many dissatisfied shareholders.
Where are you getting that from, the shares are currently trading 85% higher than they were 5 years ago. :confused:

2016-07-05.png

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
I conveniently clicked the 5 years button to show the share price from 5 years ago. :p

Fair enough. ;)

It just goes to show how much the shares have fallen from their all-time highs, as they went so much higher than their current price.

Edit: my mistake.

You are correct; Apple are up 86% on 2011. It was 2012 that they reached 100.1$, not 2012.

So yes, five year performance is excellent—up 86%. Four year, poor—down 5%.

Reactions: simonmet

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
So you believe that Apple should trickle all innovative ideas as slowly as possible, while Android makers overtake them in every aspect? (See S7 edge – not that I have or want one, but iPhone is lacking in so many areas compared to it that it's laughable. Before you begin, I'm not comparing operating systems here.)
All I'm saying is that I don't see the logic behind Apple "playing their entire hand at once". I think smartphones are quickly becoming like PCs in terms of innovation, where just about everything that can be done has already been done, and most people are happy with the tech in their current phone.

I think that when Apple finally comes out with waterproofing, OLED, etc, it's going to be a big deal FOR THEM and a lot of their customers are going to consider upgrading that year (whereas they likely wouldn't have).

It'll be interesting to see what Samsung, LG, etc pull out of their hats in the upcoming years to make folks want to upgrade.

So he introduces something that people actually seem excited about, and you complain? You're a tough crowd, man. lol

Four year, poor—down 5%.
I haven't seen the financial pundits clamoring about Apple's performance in a good while. Used to be any ebb would set off a storm in the financial blogosphere. Seems like it's been crickets for awhile.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
All I'm saying is that I don't see the logic behind Apple "playing their entire hand at once". I think smartphones are quickly becoming like PCs in terms of innovation, where just about everything that can be done has already been done, and most people are happy with the tech in their current phone.

I think that when Apple finally comes out with waterproofing, OLED, etc, it's going to be a big deal FOR THEM and a lot of their customers are going to consider upgrading that year (whereas they likely wouldn't have).

It'll be interesting to see what Samsung, LG, etc pull out of their hats in the upcoming years to make folks want to upgrade.

So he introduces something that people actually seem excited about, and you complain? You're a tough crowd, man. lol

I haven't seen the financial pundits clamoring about Apple's performance in a good while. Used to be any ebb would set off a storm in the financial blogosphere. Seems like it's been crickets for awhile.

Yes, the quietness is odd, considering the poor share performance.

One could interpret it as ominous or nothing. I lean to the former.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
This is quite true. But one of the reasons I ditched iPhone was the lack of water/dustproofing. Not even Sony's Sales Prevention Team could stop me from buying two Xperias, and S7 is going to be my next. I work in a very dusty environment and ruined my iPhone 4's back camera just by using it there. And having been spoilt by Android goodies I can't see myself returning to iPhone unless they slash the price by half and finally introduce on-screen widgets (which, when Apple adds them, will be Revolutionary(TM) of course).

Reactions: aristobrat

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I'll never get this forums obsession with Cook..

He's doing fine if you don't like the iPhone/iPad/AW/MBP/iMac/MP don't buy one.

IMHO Apple lost it's mojo in the PowerPC to Intel switch not from from Sandy Bridge to Skylake

Reactions: xaqt93

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Nice deflection, however you didn't answer the question and forgot to add the most valuable and admired company in the world. Outstanding job Timmy. The world has spoken.
What deflection?Factually sales have decreased.World's most admired company is because of Jobs products .Lets list out CEO accomplishments

Tim-Watch and Watch Bands,Emojis,

Jobs-iPad iPhone and iPod

Cook is doing a brilliant job filling Job's shoes

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Isn't the next earnings call coming up? I'm not expecting anything more or less than the last earning call, but it will be like Apple is on its last breath if records weren't broken.
It will be another decline which you will attempt to downplay as usual

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It will be another decline which you will attempt to downplay as usual
Ha, talk about how the world is ending and apple is on it's last legs. You will give it more importance than it deserves; totally ignoring the record breaking quarters that preceded it.
[doublepost=1467862461][/doublepost]
What deflection?Factually sales have decreased.World's most admired company is because of Jobs products .Lets list out CEO accomplishments

Tim-Watch and Watch Bands,Emojis,

Jobs-iPad iPhone and iPod

Cook is doing a brilliant job filling Job's shoes
Cook. 10 consecutive record breaking quarters. 1 down quarter. New products, new directions. Most admired company. Most valuable company. Most imitated company in terms of culture of innovation. Ipad pro, best screaming tablet on the market. Touchid, most imitated finger-print eco-system.

Seems you left a few accomplishments out of cooks' resume.

Reactions: Zirel

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
So you believe that Apple should trickle all innovative ideas as slowly as possible, while Android makers overtake them in every aspect? (See S7 edge – not that I have or want one, but iPhone is lacking in so many areas compared to it that it's laughable. Before you begin, I'm not comparing operating systems here.)

Samsung OLEDs always gain burn marks, it's kind of a tabu, bit they are there.

If it were Apple, it would be front page news. In fact, I bet that if iPhone adopts OLED, the next day after commercialization, there will be a burngate.

209884d1450198072t-nexus-6p-burn-img_20151120_174557.jpg

Reactions: aristobrat

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Ha, talk about how the world is ending and apple is on it's last legs. You will give it more importance than it deserves; totally ignoring the record breaking quarters that preceded it.
[doublepost=1467862461][/doublepost]

10 record breaking quarters are a thing of the past.Now it a downward spiral from hereon in according to Cook himself.And it will continue to go down until they listen to what their customers want.
Cook. 10 consecutive record breaking quarters. 1 down quarter. New products, new directions. Most admired company. Most valuable company. Most imitated company in terms of culture of innovation. Ipad pro, best screaming tablet on the market. Touchid, most imitated finger-print eco-system.

Seems you left a few accomplishments out of cooks' resume.
10 records-Thank you Jobs for providing Cook with a organisation filled with cash and innovative products to maintain momentum

2 down quarters-I think we can agree that the next quarter is also a down quarter

Most admired company-Not for long if they keep this up.Alphabet is closing in

Most imitated-early years?Yes.Now?Nope Competition is coming out with sleeker and better products.The Macbook Air looks like a 1980 laptop compared to the bezel less XPS 13

iPad Pro-So easy to be the best on the market when you have no one to compete against as competitors aren't interested in a declining market

TouchID-Motorola did it first

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
10 record breaking quarters are a thing of the past.Now it a downward spiral from hereon in according to Cook himself.And it will continue to go down until they listen to what their customers want.

10 records-Thank you Jobs for providing Cook with a organisation filled with cash and innovative products to maintain momentum

2 down quarters-I think we can agree that the next quarter is also a down quarter

Most admired company-Not for long if they keep this up.Alphabet is closing in

Most imitated-early years?Yes.Now?Nope Competition is coming out with sleeker and better products.The Macbook Air looks like a 1980 laptop compared to the bezel less XPS 13

iPad Pro-So easy to be the best on the market when you have no one to compete against as competitors aren't interested in a declining market

TouchID-Motorola did it first
So wrong on all counts. The iPhone 7 will be a block buster. Alphabet is no where as admired as Apple, rich yes, admired no. Competition has a long way to go, look at the sheer number of phones sold for your answer and the revenue of phones. Better is not bloat hardware. Don't kid yourself, android(Google) wants the tablet market but Apple owns it. Finally it's never about first with Apple it's about best. Haven't you been paying attention? And now Apple Pay integration in websites; innovation galore.:D

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
The only CEO I can think of at the moment that is Jobs like is Elon Musk. But he is busy saving the planet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.