Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Today Siri can tell me the time ! Imagine if it is a car ? Shame

You wouldn't believe how many times Siri told me it will get the web results from my phone when I asked Siri the time.

I don't believe anything good will come out of Apple based on their track record.

• Disagree
Reactions: I7guy

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
Apple wanted to be the leader but invested in the wrong things as well as neglected the next big thing. Now it's playing the follower.

As an Apple user I hope for my own sake that Apple catches up and much more. But I am resentful that Apple has wasted so much of our time and let us down again and again.

Apple has not messed up enough to make me leave yet and I'm heavily invested in their products and ecosystem. So although there is much bitterness I am still rooting for Apple for my own benefit.

I would suggest the AI race is only in its infancy.

Just because AI has captured all the attention the past 18 months doesn't mean that the race is even out of the crib yet.

Apple hasn't missed anything yet. Have patience.

Reactions: eldho and Tagbert

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
WAI is just a hype train going to nowhere.
Apple wanted to be the leader but invested in the wrong things as well as neglected the next big thing. Now it's playing the follower.

As an Apple user I hope for my own sake that Apple catches up and much more. But I am resentful that Apple has wasted so much of our time and let us down again and again.

Apple has not messed up enough to make me leave yet and I'm heavily invested in their products and ecosystem. So although there is much bitterness I am still rooting for Apple for my own benefit.

Leader and follower? Generative AI isn’t even ready for prime time yet. The first company to solve gen AI’s MANY problems will be the market leader. And no, Google, MS, OpenAI et al do not have fully baked AIs. They are toys with insane error rates that wouldn’t be acceptable if they came from a human.

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Although Tim really needs to think about firing his whole PR/comms department for such a bland and dry “announcement”, I am looking forward to see how it comes out and which distinctive features will Apple/Siri AI get

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
They're going to retire Siri who is now the target of (justified) jokes and ridicule...

Tim: "Meet our new Apple Intelligent Navigator... named 'Steve'... Steve knows what you need before you do. Steve knows you're holding it wrong. Steve knows who's a bozo"

To shareholders: "Steve will bring back Apple's reality distortion field"

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
The benefit will be in speed, security and privacy thanks to on-device processing. It's not really a secret, Apple are shouting about the M3 MacBook Air being the 'best AI computer' based on external reports of what constitutes an 'AI computer' and I reckon M4 will have significantly more Neural Engines than M3 to further improve local AI performance.

Reactions: Tagbert

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
He didn’t say they look alike. He said Apple copied flat design from Microsoft (windows 8) which surprisingly not a lot people seem to acknowledge.
99% of companies use a flat design now. Google uses a flat design. The current UI trend for graphics, UIs, and websites is a flat design. Also, big, bold, easy to read fonts. It’s the current design trend. And Microsoft wasn’t the trend setter. In fact, they’ve been far behind everyone else. And what they’ve done until very recently has looked very awful. This is just silly. Microsoft didn’t create flat design. Nobody wants to mimic the visual diarrhea that Microsoft has created with Windows. Nothing about macOS resembles any design cues from Windows 8. If anything, Windows 11 is starting to look like macOS. And do you even remember the aqua UI from the original version of OS X? That was back in 2001 when Microsoft was still on XP. Apple was way ahead of the times. If you want to talk about the factual stealing of UIs then we can discuss the original Apple/Xerox debacle. Short of that, spare me the revisionist history. Nobody has the energy for gaslighting in here.

Last edited:

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
This Apple AI initiative is getting spicier 🌶️ 🥵 by the minute. As Steve Jobs would say “one more thing”
One more thing; our AI has connected to all of your credit card numbers and ordered you a new iPhone! Enjoy, and thank you for your purchase!

• Haha
Reactions: TVreporter

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
You wouldn't believe how many times Siri told me it will get the web results from my phone when I asked Siri the time.

I don't believe anything good will come out of Apple based on their track record.
Are you in the U.S.? I ask because I'm U.S.-based and never had this issue. Siri has always told me the time in the hundreds of times I've asked over the years. Even with the reported recent HomePod bug in time reporting I had no problems with getting the time.

I know people have issues with Siri, but it's been excellent for me in the 8 years I've been using it.

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
I call total BS on this… It seems like a desperate throw of the dice for Timmy et al caught on the hop. “Let’s quickly jump on the AI bandwagon. Hang on, we’ve done nothing ourselves here, so let’s pay a partner to make Siri less useless!” But we shall see.

Reactions: arkitect

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
They just started talking about "AI". Roll back a year, and all keynotes talked about "Machine Learning".
Roll back 4 decades and the whole world was talking about “Expert Systems” replacing skilled humans. A few companies, with PhD’s on staff were actually doing it - but it was really hard. But so much of it in the 80’s was just hyped-up sales talk.

Roll back a further decade and all of computing academia was talking about Artificial Intelligence like it was just around the corner.

50 years later and I feel like we still haven’t turned that corner. Properly.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
It feels so weird that Apple is embracing something without renaming it. I would have expected them to call it "Synthetic Cognition" or something instead of AI.
It will be in the product names: aiPhone, aiPad, aiMac. Or maybe M(AI)cBook Pro, Air, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The fact that Apple trademarked the name, Siri?

Not sure what advantages they have, but their competitors aren't behind.

The advantage apple has is on board neural engine on pretty much every device since the iPhone 11. They can push hard on the software side and know that every iPhone sold new in the past what... 5 years will run AI workloads that use the onboard neural engine.

Which means any software dev knows they can get a significant user base if they write AI software for iPhone, as any iPhone 5 years old or newer can run it. Android? Crapshoot. PCs? Don't make me laugh.

CM5

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2024
The advantage apple has is on board neural engine on pretty much every device since the iPhone 11. They can push hard on the software side and know that every iPhone sold new in the past what... 5 years will run AI workloads that use the onboard neural engine.

Which means any software dev knows they can get a significant user base if they write AI software for iPhone, as any iPhone 5 years old or newer can run it. Android? Crapshoot. PCs? Don't make me laugh.
I remember when I hear how far ahead Apple was with Siri. That didn't go so hot.

Reactions: arkitect

Contact_Feanor

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2017
Belgium
What advantages could you possibly have when other companies are far ahead compared to Apple
A month before apple announced the iPhone, Research In Motion and microsoft were "far ahead compared to Apple" in mobile phones, I do believe Apple back then would also have believed themselves to be ahead.

Reactions: gusmula
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.