Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I didnt know manfrotto made Gitzo too! nice... I love it when we learn things like this. - genuine...

How was the show? did you get on OK? how are your feet and legs? I wish they would let us wear running shoes at those things!

As you know, the put up and put down bit gets on your proverbials after a while and the screw locks are better for me, I am more inclined to use the tripod because I can "pop it up" rather than having to resort to using it. I find the MeFoto great for that. I had the lever locks before and well, in cold weather they made my soft hands a bit tender after a while of opening and closing them. #wuss
[doublepost=1490265533][/doublepost]

Hi,

So I am no expert but...

Compared to my other tripods and especially the older twist lock ones, I find them easier to fine tune the positioning, they are much faster to put up and down and the fastenings dont make my fingers so sore in cold weather.

Net net I tend to use them more so for me they are a winner.

The twisty bolt types are my least favourite as they are such a faff to tighten and loosen. So I only use that tripod when I have to - and I havent had to use it since getting the MeFotos.

I shoot mirrorless Sony A7 series mainly on tripod so I dont need a hulking great stable base so it opens up the lower end of the market to me and the MeFotos are a very good price for what they are. I have the day trip which is a little tripod that only extends to about 60 cm in height. This is fine for a lot of what I shoot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Tripods-...id=1490265063&sr=8-12&keywords=mefoto+daytrip

I used to put a Canon 70d and the 100-400L lens on this and it was fine though they were slightly over the weight rating for it. Tilting screens are a godsend with this one as unless you stand it on something it is low to the ground and hard to look through a viewfinder - thinking about when I shoot with a Leica here. It folds up to a tiny little size and so is perfect for travelling light.

For heavier duty and pretty much my main use tripod now, I use this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MeFOTO-Roa...id=1490265236&sr=8-4&keywords=mefoto+roadtrip

I find this one to be fantastic. It is not amazingly light but compared to the main tripod it was replacing in my arsenal it feels positively featherweight to me. You can get the carbon version but like the other poster said, in for a penny, in for an extra half a kilo. Also, buy the time I load up my bag with bodies and lenses, then the weight of this is irrelevant to me. It is rated to 8 KG so can hold a full frame DSLR and a 70-200 f2.8 perfectly fine. Having said that the heaviest I put on it now is a A7Rii and a 70-200 f4.

Both are ball headed, both are twist fitting legs, have hanging hooks and work a treat for me.

Food for thought... your mileage may vary....

Oh yes, the picture in the POTD thread for march of the rocks that I posted. That was taken on the roadtrip in horrendous crosswinds. The water in the shot looks weird because it is a long exposure and the rain and snow were hammering down on us - While the picture isnt going to win any awards, you can see it is sharp and so the tripod has managed to hold steady quite well.

Had another thought - Remember for the occasional use of the 200-500, you can use the tripod collapsed down, the load bearing weight is only when fully extended so drop the centre column and maybe only open out the first section, then yes, it will be shorter but assuming this would be only occasionally, it could save a few bob on the cost of one that can hold the full weight capacity. I know they are really solid and can hold WAY more than advertised when collapsed down - my daughters tend to use my tripod collection as structural support when building play dens in the house... :mad:

I really like the 3 legged things Leo but it is a bit costly for my needs.

Ken.

Wow, man! That was a great reply! Thank you super much for sharing your experiences. The bit about sore hands in the cold weather I can really empathise with, haha.

Reactions: kenoh

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Wow, man! That was a great reply! Thank you super much for sharing your experiences. The bit about sore hands in the cold weather I can really empathise with, haha.
Thats because @kenoh has lots of free time on his hands as he is only pretending to work!
:D

Also living in Scotland he see's a lot more cold weather than me!

Still thinking about it. Decisions, decisions.

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
I'm looking to upgrade my tripod and it's between these two options.
My current 190 Aluminium mostly doesn't get taken out because of the weight and the bulk.

https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/190-go-carbon-4-section-camera-tripod-with-twist-locks

View attachment 693166
Advantages are it's lighter than what I have but is just as stable.
Disadvantages are although lighter it is still bulky and heavier than my number two option.

https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/befree-carbon-fibre-travel-tripod-with-ball-head-black
View attachment 693165
Advantages are it's light weight and compact.
Disadvantages are it's a little flimsy especially for my heavier glass.

Can I have opinions as I need to order this week (as I have a discount).

I've got the same aluminium 190b as you but I mostly use the tiny Sirui T-025X with ballhead. Works great with the 6D and 16-35mm f4L and even the 70-300 f4 L if you give it a little time to settle or mount on the lens foot. I think every tripod-based picture I've posted here has been with the T-025X. Realistically, it wouldn't compare to the 190B under any really windy conditions but for travel, it's difficult to beat. The weakest part with the heavy lens is creep but you can always change the supplied ballhead over to whatever you currently use with the 190B, albeit with added bulk for those occaisions.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I've got the same aluminium 190b as you but I mostly use the tiny Sirui T-025X with ballhead. Works great with the 6D and 16-35mm f4L and even the 70-300 f4 L if you give it a little time to settle or mount on the lens foot. I think every tripod-based picture I've posted here has been with the T-025X. Realistically, it wouldn't compare to the 190B under any really windy conditions but for travel, it's difficult to beat. The weakest part with the heavy lens is creep but you can always change the supplied ballhead over to whatever you currently use with the 190B, albeit with added bulk for those occaisions.

Cheers. Still reading up on different options. Hard to find anything bad written about the Gitzo traveler series. But even then there is so much choice.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I had a Manfrotto 190 something (carbon fibre) for travel but found it wasn't stable enough for a ff body and 24-70 mm lens.

Sold the Manfrotto and bought a Sirui NX2204. IMO, the Sirui line are as well made as Gitzo and Really Right Stuff but cost about 30% less. Don't let "Made in China" be a negative influence...it's an awesome tripod.

~ Peter

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I had a Manfrotto 190 something (carbon fibre) for travel but found it wasn't stable enough for a ff body and 24-70 mm lens.

Sold the Manfrotto and bought a Sirui NX2204. IMO, the Sirui line are as well made as Gitzo and Really Right Stuff but cost about 30% less. Don't let "Made in China" be a negative influence...it's an awesome tripod.

~ Peter
Not to bothered about the price as I have a very good discount!
Currently narrowed it down with a spreadsheet! Interesting what you say on the 190 carbon. You would be well below the max weight with that set up. Did you use a bag underneath?

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 12.32.15.png

Thinking the Gitzo traveller 0 series. A bit under the weather at the moment but I'll try my current rig at a max height of 133cm when I'm feeling better to see if the max height is too low.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Not to bothered about the price as I have a very good discount!
Currently narrowed it down with a spreadsheet! Interesting what you say on the 190 carbon. You would be well below the max weight with that set up. Did you use a bag underneath?

Sounds like a great discount you've got going AFB...do share. I mean that, please do share with us. :D

No, I didn't hang weight off the Manfrotto. I don't like having to do it as I'm often at low levels with no room underneath.

If you're considering a Gitzo, I would definitely think about Really Right Stuff...I think they make a better product at the same price point (same price point in Canada anyway).

~ Peter

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Sounds like a great discount you've got going AFB...do share. I mean that, please do share with us. :D

No, I didn't hang weight off the Manfrotto. I don't like having to do it as I'm often at low levels with no room underneath.

If you're considering a Gitzo, I would definitely think about Really Right Stuff...I think they make a better product at the same price point (same price point in Canada anyway).

~ Peter
My discount won't run to the really right stuff brand! Lets just say I'm getting a really good deal! If I could share I would of course.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Once you buy this you will own TWO tripods. One that is big and heavy enough for the long lens and one that is light weight. It will be good to have a choice. You SHOULD know what you are going to shoot and then take the best tripod.

I'd go for the smaller tripod because it is less like the one you have now. I have many tripods some I collected when I did studio work with medium format. Still use this one for indoor video. I place my tiny little cam corder on it then weight down the legs with sand bags. I'm saying you will find uses for the big tripod and you will use the smaller one too.

If you have two tripods it is a waste to have them very much alike, you want a range so you can choose the best match to the days work

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
My discount won't run to the really right stuff brand! Lets just say I'm getting a really good deal! If I could share I would of course.

Two comments (both of which spend considerable amounts of your money):

1. Think carefully before choosing a ballhead with a non-Arca-Swiss compatible mounting plate. Having an A-S compatible ballhead and plates means that if you start changing equipment you won't have to change the plates. And if you're shooting with someone else using A-S you can swap tripods, other mounting equipment, etc. I had a Manfrotto ballhead for a while and it was a PTA. As an additional equipment example, I offer what I did when I needed a focus rack/rail for closeup work. Kirk makes one in which the entire bottom rail is A-S compatible. The rig just slides onto the ballhead and gives me yet another way to manage shooting distance.

2. About the 200-500. Take a look at the Kirk tripod collar for it. It's A-S compatible and the foot is very long. It's easy to balance the D810 / 200-500 combo on (in my case) an Arca-Swiss ballhead. When I got the 200-500 Kirk was out of stock on the collar, so I spent about a month using an awkward setup with a A-S plate screwed to the Nikon collar. I have Kirk collars on all my teles.

I use a Gitzo Series 3 tripod and, 5 years into using it, just love it. I got the model with the center post because that fits my use case (often in cramped quarters, needing to go up and down a bit) but otherwise I wouldn't have.

Anyway, my strongest recommendation, no matter which sticks you choose, is to go with some manufacturer's A-S compatible ballhead. There are many out there.

Finally, I've been pushing Kirk but I have several Wimberly plates and clamps. They are fine too. I know you're in the UK and I should have written, above, "Kirk make," but I couldn't bring myself to.

Reactions: someoldguy

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Two comments (both of which spend considerable amounts of your money):

1. Think carefully before choosing a ballhead with a non-Arca-Swiss compatible mounting plate. Having an A-S compatible ballhead and plates means that if you start changing equipment you won't have to change the plates. And if you're shooting with someone else using A-S you can swap tripods, other mounting equipment, etc. I had a Manfrotto ballhead for a while and it was a PTA. As an additional equipment example, I offer what I did when I needed a focus rack/rail for closeup work. Kirk makes one in which the entire bottom rail is A-S compatible. The rig just slides onto the ballhead and gives me yet another way to manage shooting distance.

2. About the 200-500. Take a look at the Kirk tripod collar for it. It's A-S compatible and the foot is very long. It's easy to balance the D810 / 200-500 combo on (in my case) an Arca-Swiss ballhead. When I got the 200-500 Kirk was out of stock on the collar, so I spent about a month using an awkward setup with a A-S plate screwed to the Nikon collar. I have Kirk collars on all my teles.

I use a Gitzo Series 3 tripod and, 5 years into using it, just love it. I got the model with the center post because that fits my use case (often in cramped quarters, needing to go up and down a bit) but otherwise I wouldn't have.

Anyway, my strongest recommendation, no matter which sticks you choose, is to go with some manufacturer's A-S compatible ballhead. There are many out there.

Finally, I've been pushing Kirk but I have several Wimberly plates and clamps. They are fine too. I know you're in the UK and I should have written, above, "Kirk make," but I couldn't bring myself to.
Thanks for the detailed answer. More things to consider! I use the 200-500 on my current manfroto with the standard collar.
But only occasional. More often it's on a monopod. It's more flexible that way for most wildlife I shoot.

I'll have a read on the Kirk and Wimberley plates.

OzBok

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I'd have a good look at the carbon fiber 3 legged thing equinox series I have an older one which has always been fine with my Nikon and a 80-400mm lens not as heavy as yours, but it's got a good weight rating. Mine is probably shorter than you'd like, but if you use a monopod, it actually has one leg detachable to use as a monopod, worth thinking about to have the two in 1 option.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Through various contortions to purchase glass and some lighting, I ended up selling my RRS TVC-33, which was absolutely awesome. I ended up with a Feisol 3372 and couldn't be happier. Similar twist locks to the TVC-33. It's rock solid with an old Nikon 500mm MF lens on a Wimberley and it is very light (under 4 lb without ball head). You can throw on whatever ball head you prefer and you're good to go. Rock solid, reasonably priced, well made, available in the UK. ~430 GBP so not sure if it wins with your discount code, but thought I'd throw it in the hat for consideration.

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
[/QUOTE]
Interesting what you say on the 190 carbon. You would be well below the max weight with that set up. Did you use a bag underneath?
If a tripod has a low maximum weight capacity how does hanging a weight/bag under it help? This is adding to the weight being held by the tripod and so could make the problem worse, or is it that weight underneath 'cancels' weight on top?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

If a tripod has a low maximum weight capacity how does hanging a weight/bag under it help? This is adding to the weight being held by the tripod and so could make the problem worse, or is it that weight underneath 'cancels' weight on top?[/QUOTE]
Added weight hanging underneath keeps it more stable in higher winds etc.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
If a tripod has a low maximum weight capacity how does hanging a weight/bag under it help? This is adding to the weight being held by the tripod and so could make the problem worse, or is it that weight underneath 'cancels' weight on top?

Good question admwright. Balance (tripod weight distribution) is a big factor in stability and it should be considered.

My Manfrotto was heavier than the Sirui and had a similar load capacity but was less stable because it was very top heavy. The Sirui has thicker and heavier bottom section legs with a less complex and lighter top section. More weight at the bottom and less at the top results in a more stable platform. I think you'll find similar design concepts with Gitzo and RRS.

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
I've had a Manfrotto 055 ProB for over 11 years. I just washed it for the first time yesterday - well, that I can remember anyway. Too much sand and salt building up from recent shoots in the sea. Washed it down, WD40'd the legs and wiped it off and it's back to normal ha!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I've had a Manfrotto 055 ProB for over 11 years. I just washed it for the first time yesterday - well, that I can remember anyway. Too much sand and salt building up from recent shoots in the sea. Washed it down, WD40'd the legs and wiped it off and it's back to normal ha!
Don't get me wrong. My Manfrotto still looks like new. Apart from the size and weight it's great. It gets used quite a bit in the house, but if I'm going further afield it just gets a bit heavy. I'd have no problem recommending them.

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Don't get me wrong. My Manfrotto still looks like new. Apart from the size and weight it's great. It gets used quite a bit in the house, but if I'm going further afield it just gets a bit heavy. I'd have no problem recommending them.

Yeah, mine is kinda heavy but it needs to be for my Fuji GX617 :/

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010

I also have an old Manfrotto 055 ProB (built like a tank, and probably weights as much). I always thought after the bombs fall, all the will be left is giant cockroaches taking pictures on manfortto 055 tripods :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So order placed.
t300_x4_a38479e046ba68362c7b3d4ee039bb2f.jpg

Went with the Gitzo GK154T-82TQD and bag.
I don't think there was a bad choice when you look at all I was considering, but ultimately the height/payload and folded length worked well on this for me.
Currently 15% off sale but I did a little better ;)

I'll have to find some nice landscapes to shoot now! I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
So order placed.
t300_x4_a38479e046ba68362c7b3d4ee039bb2f.jpg

Went with the Gitzo GK154T-82TQD and bag.
I don't think there was a bad choice when you look at all I was considering, but ultimately the height/payload and folded length worked well on this for me.
Currently 15% off sale but I did a little better ;)

I'll have to find some nice landscapes to shoot now! I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives.
Glad you got your bargain ;)
So, for landscapes, you'll be shopping for one of these next? http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/best-wide-angle-lens-1307770/5
http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/best-wide-angle-lens-1307770/5
Cheers :)

Hugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.