Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I put my order in beginning of March I don't expect to see the camera to June/July earliest. There is a very real probability it may be later.

It seems many other countries e.g. Europe and US are moving quicker on orders than the U.K..

I did briefly have the 50 lux, lovely lens by my dealer for me the black chrome instead of the standard black (good price too, only 50 more than the normal version)

But it's heavier and I wanted to save some weight, so I returned it and am awaiting the standard version..I have the 35 cron in the mean time...and I keep looking at 90 f2!!!

And oh yeah I am gonna be so happy when it arrives I am really loving my M-E so far, could do with some more DR as shooting wider to make up for my lack of skill manual focusing.

But yeah defo think I am going to be a full blown leica convert!

M-E. Good machine. I got news today that the M9 and MM will be heading home from Leitz in the next day or so after being in sensor surgery.

I adore them. I have missed them so much. Yes the 50 lux is heavy. Standard one isnt that much lighter I am afraid but IMHO so worth it. I know the 50 Apo Cron is a lot lighter but I am closing my lips now and not saying another word!

90 f2 is a pig to focus on the RF (nature of the beast) but the live view of the M10 will negate any issues there. I have a 90 Summarit and it is just jaw dropping sharp. Just wish I could focus it accurately on the RF.

So looking forward to seeing it in June. Roll on roll on... so very excited for you!
[doublepost=1492109513][/doublepost]
@kenoh regarding Lee / HiTech Firecrest filters - expensive but worth it :) Buy once.

ha ha ha... You arent helping! :)

to get a flexible 16 stop setup on the filters though I am staring down the barrel of £600 right? I need some time to decide I need filters that much - I am only just starting out with the long exposures stuff, a long way off your level of skill....
[doublepost=1492109583][/doublepost]
Oh dear. Did you have to get a manicure?
#realman!

Harumph!!!

Reactions: Mark0

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
kenoh said:
ha ha ha... You arent helping! :)

to get a flexible 16 stop setup on the filters though I am staring down the barrel of £600 right? I need some time to decide I need filters that much - I am only just starting out with the long exposures stuff, a long way off your level of skill....

I myself have been considering a 16 stopper. Specifically the Hitech Firecrest. I've been stacking a 2 stop on top of my Big Stopper, so getting 12 stops which is pretty good. However it takes up two slots and I can only use one grad after that. However, the extra four stops at 16 would let me leave diffraction land of f16-f22 and shoot at a more palatable f8-f11, whilst getting more productive shutter speeds.
I'm probably going to buy a polariser first so will start saving.

By the way, if you want to get into Lee, checkout ffordes.co.uk for 2nd hand gear. they are VERY reputable and great to deal with.

Here are some links you might like ;)

Firecrest 16 stop £69: http://ffordes.co.uk/product/17022111533981

Lee Holder £39: http://ffordes.co.uk/product/17041311422481

You can also find adapter rings in different sizes for a bit cheaper there too. I would strongly advise you get the wide angle adapter rings though. http://ffordes.co.uk/category/Filters/Lee#&&SortDirection=Ascending&PageIndex=2&SortExpression=

Sorted ;)

Reactions: kenoh

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Last bike I rode was a Honda 250cc. It was my dads. About 30 years ago!
30 years ago I would have been on an MZ 250, having chopped in my Suzuki as it was getting expensive to run.
I've had a 125 scooter for the last 2 years as I found the BMW 650 too heavy to move around. However, the scoot was so gutless I've gone for a lightweight real bike - looks something like an old Triumph Bonneville or Scrambler but with more modern bits.
I've some more fettling to do then I'll show you all what it looks like.

Cheers :)

Hugh

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
30 years ago I would have been on an MZ 250, having chopped in my Suzuki as it was getting expensive to run.
I've had a 125 scooter for the last 2 years as I found the BMW 650 too heavy to move around. However, the scoot was so gutless I've gone for a lightweight real bike - looks something like an old Triumph Bonneville or Scrambler but with more modern bits.
I've some more fettling to do then I'll show you all what it looks like.

Hugh

Brave man, if I ever did anything like that I'm afraid I'd take the cowards way out and get a convertible!

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I myself have been considering a 16 stopper. Specifically the Hitech Firecrest. I've been stacking a 2 stop on top of my Big Stopper, so getting 12 stops which is pretty good. However it takes up two slots and I can only use one grad after that. However, the extra four stops at 16 would let me leave diffraction land of f16-f22 and shoot at a more palatable f8-f11, whilst getting more productive shutter speeds.

By the way, if you want to get into Lee, checkout ffordes.co.uk for 2nd hand gear. they are VERY reputable and great to deal with.

You can also find adapter rings in different sizes for a bit cheaper there too. I would strongly advise you get the wide angle adapter rings though. http://ffordes.co.uk/category/Filters/Lee#&&SortDirection=Ascending&PageIndex=2&SortExpression=

Sorted ;)

Yes sorted! thank you very much!!!! sorted as in they arrive wednesday.... :mad:

Last edited:

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Brave man, if I ever did anything like that I'm afraid I'd take the cowards way out and get a convertible!
Don't forget I learnt nearly 40 years ago when the roads were a lot quieter and there weren't so may maniacs ready to run you off the road just for being in the space they wanted.
I wouldn't recommend anyone to take it up now, in fact I was very worried when my stepson started biking a few years ago, but he got through the crucial first year without incident and he's experienced now.

Anyway, tripods ...

Hugh

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I really love my GorillaPod. Have you seen these things before?

https://www.amazon.com/GorillaPod-F...F8&qid=1492111237&sr=8-2&keywords=gorilla+pod

If you scroll down the page you'll see a table that lists the different sizes/models for the GorillaPod. Maybe you can find one that meets your needs. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. Good shout but unfortunately in this case the OP is looking to load a camera and lens combo weighing in the region of 8KG which is over the capacity of the Gorilla pods. GPs are great to have handy for a smaller rig but I wouldnt trust one with a Leica hanging off it. :)
[doublepost=1492114016][/doublepost]
Don't forget I learnt nearly 40 years ago when the roads were a lot quieter and there weren't so may maniacs ready to run you off the road just for being in the space they wanted.
I wouldn't recommend anyone to take it up now, in fact I was very worried when my stepson started biking a few years ago, but he got through the crucial first year without incident and he's experienced now.

Anyway, tripods ...

Hugh

It is scary seeing how people in general drive these days, no way I would get amongst that on a bike!

Reactions: v0lume4 and Hughmac

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks for the suggestion. Good shout but unfortunately in this case the OP is looking to load a camera and lens combo weighing in the region of 8KG which is over the capacity of the Gorilla pods. GPs are great to have handy for a smaller rig but I wouldnt trust one with a Leica hanging off it. :)
[doublepost=1492114016][/doublepost]

It is scary seeing how people in general drive these days, no way I would get amongst that on a bike!
No, but when you're stuck in traffic everyday watching the bikes nip through, its tempting (well in summer anyway!)
[doublepost=1492115293][/doublepost]

Sorted ;)
Good tip!

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Yes sorted! thank you very much!!!! sorted as in they arrive wednesday.... :mad:

Oh

I take it that means the 16 stop is still available from ffordes? I might go for it now. Wanted to give you the chance first though. Hmmm, decisions, I could really use the circular polariser

See what you've started!

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Oh

I take it that means the 16 stop is still available from ffordes? I might go for it now. Wanted to give you the chance first though. Hmmm, decisions, I could really use the circular polariser

See what you've started!

How do you do slack jawed emoji on here? I havent started anything! :eek: wasnt me honest!

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
I'm looking to upgrade my tripod and it's between these two options.
My current 190 Aluminium mostly doesn't get taken out because of the weight and the bulk.

https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/190-go-carbon-4-section-camera-tripod-with-twist-locks

View attachment 693166
Advantages are it's lighter than what I have but is just as stable.
Disadvantages are although lighter it is still bulky and heavier than my number two option.

https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/befree-carbon-fibre-travel-tripod-with-ball-head-black
View attachment 693165
Advantages are it's light weight and compact.
Disadvantages are it's a little flimsy especially for my heavier glass.

Can I have opinions as I need to order this week (as I have a discount).
Depends on what camera types you use it for. The lightweight tripods don't support heavy cameras,especially in windy conditions. I prefer a heavy duty tripod,that support all my need,but of course,carrying it longer distances is difficult.
Of course,a bulky Sony alpha with an 800 MM telephoto lens need a heavy duty tripod,but with lighter equipment,it might be different.

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Depends on what camera types you use it for. The lightweight tripods don't support heavy cameras,especially in windy conditions. I prefer a heavy duty tripod,that support all my need,but of course,carrying it longer distances is difficult.
Of course,a bulky Sony alpha with an 800 MM telephoto lens need a heavy duty tripod,but with lighter equipment,it might be different.

OP uses a Nikon D750 FF and 200-500mm tele lens. So he needs a strong one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.