Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
so the "Loop You in" event has long come and gone. And we have all by now updated to the latest tvOS version.

So..... What do you think Apple would or should do in tvOS 10?

Mine are:

-Create an "Approved controller only" games section
-A "for you" selection of TV and Movies
-iCloud backup and setup

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Most of the features of the iPad.

1. Local copy of content. I.E. Download Option.
2. Full support for Photos like on the iPad. I.E Folders
3. iCloud switching as easy as iTunes Switching. I.E. User Profiles (not on iPad yet).
4. Global Watch List. From Netflix, Hulu, other third party Apps can update (like Channels TV/DVR App).
And of course based on User Profiles.
5. Game Center should be tied to User Profiles. I.E. iCloud switching.

Probably much more. But that is my quick list.

DesertDog

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2004
- Completely reworked store, 2010's Create an "Approved controller only" games section as part of it
- iCloud Syncing so that I can have all of my ATVs automatically have the same apps, folders, TV Station sign-ins
- Dark UI Mode
- 5.1 Flac/Appleloss music support
- VPN support

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
My 2 were posted by DesertDog:

- iCloud Syncing so that I can have all of my ATVs automatically have the same apps, folders, TV Station sign-ins
- Dark UI Mode (or ability to change the background color)

Reactions: bigcahuna12c

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Dark UI Mode
Improvement to Parental controls (so I can buy Deadpool and not have my kids even see it on the list)
4K would be nice (but I don't think the HDMI is up to it, ATV 5 then? Add 3d while you're at it)
Better photos app
Fix all the nonsense in episode sequence/numbering in TV shows (i.e. where it wants to play special features 101 instead of episode 2, or where ep 2 is special features and ep3 is the second ep of the series)
Easier to switch between accounts (too many clicks at this time)

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
Fix all the nonsense in episode sequence/numbering in TV shows (i.e. where it wants to play special features 101 instead of episode 2, or where ep 2 is special features and ep3 is the second ep of the series)
I hate that as well, but Apple doesn't control that, the media companies decide that. It's also has to do with iTunes, not specifically tvOS.

Last edited:

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
tvOS 10 should accompany a hardware refresh consisting primarily of a "Gaming Edition" Apple TV accompanied by an official Apple Game Controller. (With controller available for separate purchase, of course)

Hard to imagine Apple TV apps breaking big without a proper game controller included with the hardware... Moving simple tap-and-swipe games to the big screen is not enough.

Reactions: Menel

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Who knows. Apple has released software on android. Android watches work on IOS. And apple just licensed airplay to HTC for their new android phone.

Yes but googlecast working on Apple TV would mean Google licensing it to Apple.

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
- Allow devs to make games that use an MFi controller only
- PiP, easy switch between main/inset screen.
- Easy way to switch between accounts for GC/Apple Music
- This rumored Apple TV Streaming service
- Some way to track new shows as they're on.
- A way to browse/remotely install tvOS apps on ios.

Reactions: boston04and07

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
-Picture-in-Picture
-H.265 / HEVC / VP9 Support
-24FPS Support
-Higher Quality Audio Support (Dolby Digital Atmos)
-Support for 2 MFi Controllers (would also love support for PS4 Controller)

Atmos is just an extension on TrueHD. If it supports dolby TrueHD it supports atmos. Same with bluray players and cables. The only change one would have to make in their home theater is a new receiver. And of course ceiling speakers.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Don't get your hopes up for Dolby TrueHD - lossless audio requires waaaay too much bandwidth for streaming. Both Apple and Dolby are instead touting Dolby Digital Plus as the solution for higher quality audio for mobile/streaming solutions. To this degree, Dolby Digital Plus is actually supported natively in Core Audio as of iOS 9.3. (and already supported on tvOS and El Capitan.)

Reactions: 2010mini

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Don't get your hopes up for Dolby TrueHD - lossless audio requires waaaay too much bandwidth for streaming. Both Apple and Dolby are instead touting Dolby Digital Plus as the solution for higher quality audio for mobile/streaming solutions. To this degree, Dolby Digital Plus is actually supported natively in Core Audio as of iOS 9.3. (and already supported on tvOS and El Capitan.)

We want it for local content. Not for streaming over the internet.
Though the amount of bandwidth used isn't much when it's with a h.265 encoded video. About the same as todays h.264 encoded video with DD+

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.