Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Personally not interested in single sign on (my friend and I share logins) so I hope this is not on by default. I am curious though how it will work....?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I am curious though how it will work....?
In the keynote video it looks like you will sign in once with your TV provider's password in any cable-authenticated app, and then all other apps will automatically be authorized without signing in again.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
In the keynote video it looks like you will sign in once with your TV provider's password in any cable-authenticated app, and then all other apps will automatically be authorized without signing in again.

This is a current feature. If you have all the nbc apps and sign into one, all the others automatically authenticate. Same goes for Disney apps.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
This is a current feature. If you have all the nbc apps and sign into one, all the others automatically authenticate. Same goes for Disney apps.

It's not the same. You log In to your cable provider 1 time, much like you would your store account.

Then all apps that are available for your service are available to download and don't require any other login.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
No. The new feature will work globally with all cable-authenticated apps, not just apps from one company.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Who gives a toss about this. Fix the silly stuttering of iTunes Home Sharing Movies. On the 60" screen it still stutters randomly all over the place. Yes after the whole file is already loaded/buffered on ATV4. Yet Infuse, Plex... Plays it all smoothly. Fix it first Apple!

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Who gives a toss about this. Fix the silly stuttering of iTunes Home Sharing Movies. On the 60" screen it still stutters randomly all over the place. Yes after the whole file is already loaded/buffered on ATV4. Yet Infuse, Plex... Plays it all smoothly. Fix it first Apple!

I hope you get your wish.

However, single login has been one of the top requested items for a while now, so someone gives a toss.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
The Apple TV seems to be a very compelling piece of kit for those in the US, but it's just not that great in the UK, apart from as a media player (your own media) - the single sign on thing just isn't an issue as we don't have the same selection, or anything like it for that matter.

Still, dark mode, wahoo ...

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
The Apple TV seems to be a very compelling piece of kit for those in the US, but it's just not that great in the UK, apart from as a media player (your own media) - the single sign on thing just isn't an issue as we don't have the same selection, or anything like it for that matter.

Still, dark mode, wahoo ...

Blame the content owners.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
And they would argue there's just not enough of a user base to warrant an application.
Which then throws the ball back in Apples court to do something to make people want to buy an AppleTV.
The problem being pretty much all our main content providers already have there free to view apps built into Smart TVs, recordable set top boxes and pretty much all streaming devices bar AppleTV.
Anything else worth having is under contract with Sky which is available via the NowTV app for a monthly fee.
Other than iTunes movie purchases and the odd game or too I rarely use my AppleTV 4 now since buying a new TV as the Netflix app streams in 4K, also theres Wuaki to stream my UktraViolet collection too and Amazon if I wish to subscribe.
If it wasn't for my iTunes movie & TV purchases it does kinda make you wonder if AppleTV is actually worth it for a UK user at all.

Reactions: Strutten

Richard28

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2016

no, no, no.

Apple is a big company and if it is serious about the Apple TV it should be helping and encouraging various broadcasters worldwide to port iOS apps to tvOS. It has just never happened. Apple is very US focused with apple tv and always has been. It seems that there is no marketing push/assistance/help from Apple in pushing broadcasters towards this product.

Even when the BBC app did come to tvOS it does not support siri, which, lets face it is one of the few USPs of the current apple product.

I'm in the UK and still have the Apple TV3, there is no reason for me to get the Apple TV4 yet... am considering getting Roku 4 when it comes to the UK - or might just do with apps from my 4K TV which I will be buying soon.

Its a big shame, and apple are in my mind increasingly losing in this market.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
When exactly does that happen? I watch movies and TV shows via homesharing all the time, and I don't have any stutter.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
no, no, no.

Apple is a big company and if it is serious about the Apple TV it should be helping and encouraging various broadcasters worldwide to port iOS apps to tvOS. It has just never happened. Apple is very US focused with apple tv and always has been. It seems that there is no marketing push/assistance/help from Apple in pushing broadcasters towards this product.

Even when the BBC app did come to tvOS it does not support siri, which, lets face it is one of the few USPs of the current apple product.

I'm in the UK and still have the Apple TV3, there is no reason for me to get the Apple TV4 yet... am considering getting Roku 4 when it comes to the UK - or might just do with apps from my 4K TV which I will be buying soon.

Its a big shame, and apple are in my mind increasingly losing in this market.

There is some history that helps put this into context as to why Apple has a hard time securing content agreements with Hollywood.

Apple's success in getting the music industry to bend over backwards to their demands is seen by Hollywood as disastrous. Music labels lost control of their entire business model to Apple. Because of this, Studios and networks banded together to make sure Apple, Netflix etc would not be able to do the same. It is the main reason why they created the UV locker system. And give less and less support to iTunes.

So today when it comes to video content negotiations. The owners and broadcasters own all the keys and are guarding every door. They will not let Apple gain an advantage. For some reason it seems they do not consider Roku a threat. Maybe this has to do with Apple's brand being stronger than that of Roku????

This is the main reason Netflix etc are spending huge amounts of money for original content. My feeling is Apple will also have to join in on this trend. BTW Apple having original content doesn't mean people at Apple will be actually creating it. It just means they will bid against networks and studios for content.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
- Audiobooks app, like CarPlay has. I've been really into audiobooks lately and would love to listen to them locally on my Apple TV without having to AirPlay
- Picture in Picture
- Ability to use Siri to set reminders and the like
- Random enough as this is, a Clock app or some kind of way to set an alarm and have the ATV come on playing something at a certain time. I'm getting one for my bedroom soon and I'd love this. I used to have an old TV come on in the morning in my old place as my alarm and I miss that!
- Better way to keep track of when shows you have from iTunes have new episodes. I like how on my iPad and iPhone it'll say "X more episodes available" or "Show complete season." The Mac and Apple TV could benefit from this.
- Easy mute button. The Pause button works for streaming video but when I'm watching some kind of live feed, I'd prefer mute so I don't have to pause the feed entirely. Perhaps pressing and holding the volume down button, like on iOS devices?

If there's anything I've mentioned that is already there and I've somehow missed, I'd love to know!

Reactions: JBaby and satcomer

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
No. The new feature will work globally with all cable-authenticated apps, not just apps from one company.

I guess this is easier than trying to implement to for all third party apps... eg Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Would have still be good to have.

shpankey

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
Was already listed above, but couldn't agree more...

H.265 / HEVC / VP9 Support
24FPS Support
Higher Quality Audio Support (TrueHD)
Support for Controllers (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox One S Controllers)
[doublepost=1473097604][/doublepost]
Don't get your hopes up for Dolby TrueHD - lossless audio requires waaaay too much bandwidth for streaming. Both Apple and Dolby are instead touting Dolby Digital Plus as the solution for higher quality audio for mobile/streaming solutions. To this degree, Dolby Digital Plus is actually supported natively in Core Audio as of iOS 9.3. (and already supported on tvOS and El Capitan.)
Not all streaming is done over the internet. Some of us stream from our home (Plex/Kodi) servers over our LAN.
[doublepost=1473097695][/doublepost]p.s. I will say, not adding h265 support soon via software (or at least a hardware revision) will be a catastrophic mistake. This is the way of the future and it's here now.

Reactions: Basic75
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.