Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Something else I'd like to see is for the movies/tv show apps to work like the Videos app on iOS and be able to store and play locally-saved content. It's annoying that they only play iTunes Store stuff - I have a ton of unused space on my 32gb device and would love to use it to store some of the family movies I keep in the Videos app on my iOS devices. I know they'll never do that because it miiiight encourage some people to save DVD rips or whatever instead of buying from iTunes, but still. It's really annoying not having the option now. I'd totally upgrade to a 64gb device if this were possible.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Something else I'd like to see is for the movies/tv show apps to work like the Videos app on iOS and be able to store and play locally-saved content. It's annoying that they only play iTunes Store stuff - I have a ton of unused space on my 32gb device and would love to use it to store some of the family movies I keep in the Videos app on my iOS devices. I know they'll never do that because it miiiight encourage some people to save DVD rips or whatever instead of buying from iTunes, but still. It's really annoying not having the option now. I'd totally upgrade to a 64gb device if this were possible.

Steve Jobs was the one that got rid of local storage on the Apple TV. There are a lot of apps that will allow you to stream content stored on a NAS. And if you use iCloud photo, all your family movies shot with an iOS device will be there, ready to stream.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Steve Jobs was the one that got rid of local storage on the Apple TV. There are a lot of apps that will allow you to stream content stored on a NAS. And if you use iCloud photo, all your family movies shot with an iOS device will be there, ready to stream.

Yeah, I remember him doing that...idk, I know I could set up a NAS or add my stuff to iCloud Photos, but for me, it's more about having the organization systems the same on all my devices. They're in the Videos app on my iOS devices and iTunes on my Mac, and I just like having them there - I'm used to it. For simplicity's sake I'd just prefer to have it be the same on my Apple TV, and not have to change my organizational system around or go to the trouble of setting up a NAS or whatever. So yeah, as you mentioned there are solutions to this, but none as easy or elegant as just allowing local storage.

Alternatively, now that I think of it, it would be even better if personal videos imported to the Videos app and/or iTunes could make use of a user's iCloud storage, a la iCloud for iBooks, and sync automatically between devices/be viewable on the Apple TV via iCloud streaming. I would really like that, actually, and would finally have a use for all the iCloud storage that's currently not being used in my account. I'd be surprised if Apple ever implemented that, but they did for iBooks, so who knows.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Yeah, I remember him doing that...idk, I know I could set up a NAS or add my stuff to iCloud Photos, but for me, it's more about having the organization systems the same on all my devices. They're in the Videos app on my iOS devices and iTunes on my Mac, and I just like having them there - I'm used to it. For simplicity's sake I'd just prefer to have it be the same on my Apple TV, and not have to change my organizational system around or go to the trouble of setting up a NAS or whatever. So yeah, as you mentioned there are solutions to this, but none as easy or elegant as just allowing local storage.

Alternatively, now that I think of it, it would be even better if personal videos imported to the Videos app and/or iTunes could make use of a user's iCloud storage, a la iCloud for iBooks, and sync automatically between devices/be viewable on the Apple TV via iCloud streaming. I would really like that, actually, and would finally have a use for all the iCloud storage that's currently not being used in my account. I'd be surprised if Apple ever implemented that, but they did for iBooks, so who knows.

How did videos shot on your iOS device end up in your videos app? All of my home movies are in my photos.

Home videos are in the memories category and belong with photographs.

Reactions: IndianBird
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.