Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluecat456

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2022
I was just about to order the magnetic adapters, but this thread made me think about it more first.

My situation is, that I would like to switch between a Windows laptop (with USB-C) and a MacBook Air. I'm really wondering why there are no switches for Thunderbolt on the market. I think the need for this should be very high. How many people use a mac for their private device, but their work give them a Windows laptop.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I was just about to order the magnetic adapters, but this thread made me think about it more first.

My situation is, that I would like to switch between a Windows laptop (with USB-C) and a MacBook Air. I'm really wondering why there are no switches for Thunderbolt on the market. I think the need for this should be very high. How many people use a mac for their private device, but their work give them a Windows laptop.
The market of TB displays is very small, so the market for such a switch would be even smaller. I'm not sure if the TB specification even allows for a 'switch' in the sense we're looking for. Also, it would be relatively expensive, given the high cost of TB chips.

bluecat456

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2022
For me, this is actually a big problem and keeps me from buying an Apple Studio (or an LG Ultrafine 5K) display. On the other hand, I don't want to compromise for a 4K display either. Difficult, difficult.

bluecat456

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2022
Yes, I also believe that it works. After the linked Reddit thread, however, the danger is there that something goes up in flames. The arguments why you should not use it were convincing for me.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Yes, I also believe that it works. After the linked Reddit thread, however, the danger is there that something goes up in flames. The arguments why you should not use it were convincing for me.
When someone posts a picture of the magnetic connectors burning up their display, I'll reconsider. Until then, I'll keep enjoying the flexibility.

Also, you can get 'static electricity' with just using regular connectors.

Reactions: thedon1

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
When someone posts a picture of the magnetic connectors burning up their display, I'll reconsider. Until then, I'll keep enjoying the flexibility.

Also, you can get 'static electricity' with just using regular connectors.

I've had experience of the connectors you purchased just falling apart and leaving bits stuck to the magnet surface. It's not a huge leap from there to magic smoke escaping, given the amount of power TB can pass.

☕️

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I've had experience of the connectors you purchased just falling apart and leaving bits stuck to the magnet surface. It's not a huge leap from there to magic smoke escaping, given the amount of power TB can pass.
Can’t speak to how safe these connectors are but TB and USB4 ports, especially those that pass a lot of current, have extensive ESD and overcurrent protection. They are designed to support being yanked from the sockets and to deal with shorts on the cables when they get crushed, crimped, or cut. Doesn’t mean people shouldn’t be wary of using these but TB is a much hardier spec than people seem to be aware.

iSuzan

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2020
Germany
This is my setup:
06_ASD.jpeg

On the left my private Intel 27' iMac 2019, in the middle the ASD, on the right my office M1 MBP 2021. Both the iMac and the MBP have to work with the ASD.

My plain solution is to use an USB4 extension cable on my iMac and on the MBP. The one on the iMac is a bit longer, the one on the MBP is very short. Only using it on the MBP to spare the USB-C-socket a bit. I use the original cable on the ASD and plug it into the matching extension cable when needed.

Probably not the most elegant solution, but very pragmatic. And it works very well.

Only one warning: if you want to update the ASD software you have to plug the original cable DIRECTLY into your mac. Otherwise the software update won't work!

Oh.. btw, this is the extension cable I am using (German Amazon, sorry):
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B09MTK6V33/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 0,8m on my imac, the 0,3m on my MBP.

Ah.. this may be the link for US amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Th...ix=usb+c+extension+40gbps,aps,216&sr=8-3&th=1

fun.bowl7425

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2022
This is my setup:
View attachment 2011339

On the left my private Intel 27' iMac 2019, in the middle the ASD, on the right my office M1 MBP 2021. Both the iMac and the MBP have to work with the ASD.

My plain solution is to use an USB4 extension cable on my iMac and on the MBP. The one on the iMac is a bit longer, the one on the MBP is very short. Only using it on the MBP to spare the USB-C-socket a bit. I use the original cable on the ASD and plug it into the matching extension cable when needed.

Probably not the most elegant solution, but very pragmatic. And it works very well.

Only one warning: if you want to update the ASD software you have to plug the original cable DIRECTLY into your mac. Otherwise the software update won't work!

Oh.. btw, this is the extension cable I am using (German Amazon, sorry):
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B09MTK6V33/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 0,8m on my imac, the 0,3m on my MBP.

Ah.. this may be the link for US amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Thunderbolt-Support-Transfer-MacBook/dp/B09L1475T3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=22QY28QXZIOEP&keywords=usb+c+extension+40Gbps&qid=1653932968&sprefix=usb+c+extension+40gbps,aps,216&sr=8-3&th=1
Hi, @iSuzan!

To clarify, do you have to manually unplug the display and plug it to the other Mac every time you want to switch? And if so, are your Macs also plugged in to the wall or do you use their battery every time you unplug the ASD? Thanks.

iSuzan

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2020
Germany
Hi, @iSuzan!

To clarify, do you have to manually unplug the display and plug it to the other Mac every time you want to switch? And if so, are your Macs also plugged in to the wall or do you use their battery every time you unplug the ASD? Thanks.
Yes, I have to manually unplug everytime depends what Mac should use the ASD. That is what I mean with "probably not the most elegant solution...".
If I want to use the ASD as second monitor for my iMac I plug the original ASD Thunderbold cable into the extension cable which is connected to my iMac.
If I want to use the ASD for the MacBook I unplug the Thunderbolt cable from the extenstion cable and plug it directly into a USB-C jack of the MacBook.

The iMac and the ASD are both directly and always connected to a power outlet.
The MacBook is only loading when it is plugged into the the ASD.

I hope this clears it up. Sounds more complicated which it is... ;-)

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
The market of TB displays is very small, so the market for such a switch would be even smaller. I'm not sure if the TB specification even allows for a 'switch' in the sense we're looking for. Also, it would be relatively expensive, given the high cost of TB chips.
In 2022 there should be a TB4 switch. Now with the release of the ASD, I’m pretty sure we should be able to see one in the next couple of months, I hope. Same thing happened with HDMI. I remember back in 1999 I got my first HDMI switch for which I paid close to $500. It was a Gefen HDMI switch. By that time there were literally ZERO HDMI switches available at Amazon. Only specialized retailers carried them at crazy expensive prices.

Last edited:

JerryWest44

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
I am in the same predicament as the original poster. I have a work laptop Dell Latitude 5420 w/ two TB4 ports & a Mac Studio + Display on order --- So far the only option that makes sense is pulling cables either by inserting sacrificial USB_C/TB cables or by using the magnetic adapters.

Another thought - Can the Mac Studio itself accept another video source since it has several TB ports & forward it to the Mac Studio Display?

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Another thought - Can the Mac Studio itself accept another video source since it has several TB ports & forward it to the Mac Studio Display?
Not from a physical standpoint, but you could always use VNC or Remote Desktop (Microsoft).

JerryWest44

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
Then magnetic adapters will be a cheap alternative for you to try.
Another option is to use a switch with two USB-C host inputs and use the best video output like HDMI w/ a HDMI to USB-C cable and limit your resolution to 4K until a 2x1 Thunderbolt switch hits the market.

bluecat456

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2022
This would not be a solution for me. If I buy the expensive 5k ASD, I want to use the full resolution. But yes, this manual changing is really annoying.

bluecat456

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2022
Well, the USB-C switch I bought from amazon still works well. I'm using it for weeks now and I have no complains so far.
I think you're referring to your old link to the YIWENTEC USB-C Hub (Amazon Link). Could you please tell what cables you use to connect? It says it comes with one usb-c cable which needs to be connected to the display. What cables do you use to connect to the two source pcs?

Macs Pain

macrumors member
May 19, 2009
Germany
I think you're referring to your old link to the YIWENTEC USB-C Hub (Amazon Link). Could you please tell what cables you use to connect? It says it comes with one usb-c cable which needs to be connected to the display. What cables do you use to connect to the two source pcs?
One cable is included, you just need to buy another one. The original Apple thunderbolt cable does NOT work, but you will need it for updating the studio display. 😉
I bought THIS ONE and it works fine.

Reactions: bluecat456

trevor-b

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2022
I am, and I love it! The APEX Sun and "young selly" version mentioned earlier in the thread (I ordered both) are identical. There isn't any branding on either, aside from the '40Gbps', so they certainly are from the same OEM.

I switch between 3, or even 5 computers, for using the Apple Studio Display:
  • As the main monitor for my WFH MacBook Pro 13" (2019 4 Thunderbolt ports)
  • As an extended display for my Mac Studio Max, main monitor is Pro Display XDR
  • As an extended display for my Framework Windows laptop
  • As an extended display for my M1 MacBook Air
  • As a main monitor for my headless Windows PC, via TB3 (rare, and I can only get 2560x1440 resolution)

Hi @BeatCrazy Sounds like you have the ASD working with multiple MacBooks. I'm new to Macs, so I don't quite get how you managed to do it. How does using the magnetic connectors over ride the single display input of the ASD?

I have two 2021 MacBook Pros that I would like to connect to the ASD and switch between the MBPs without swapping cables. Would it be too much to ask you to list out the steps involved here?

Thanks for your time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.