Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cz_

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2022
Ok, I received one of these ConnBull switches and tried it out. This one is labeled "USB-C Bidirectional Switch Data & Video & PD" and not "Type C All In One Bidirectional KVM Switch". Part number is A0206. SKU is A0206-D0103*2-3. This one *does not* switch Thunderbolt but it will switch DisplayPort. Tried with Mac Studio and PC 3080 Ti using the Bellkin cable. Everything works fine at 5K@60Hz with the PC connecting with the Belkin cable and the Mac Studio using a Cable Matters 10 Gbps Gen 2 USB C to USB C Cable 3.3 ft. The Mac is identifying and driving the monitor at 5K but not appearing as Thunderbolt. Neither a Cable Matters 40Gbps Active Thunderbolt 4 Cable 6.6 ft nor the Apple Thunderbolt cable 1m from the Studio Display box nor a Corning Optical TB3 cable work with the switch. Would be great if @cz_ could post what if theirs is the same unit or whether they received a "Type C All In One Bidirectional KVM Switch".

"USB-C Bi-Direction Switch DATA & VIDEO & PD"

Where are you seeing a part number/SKU? [edit: found it on the bag it came in, same as yours A0206-D0103*2-3]

Last edited:

cz_

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2022
I wonder why the DisplayPort I2C failed to the Studio Display (but it worked with the built-in display). Is the display connected directly to the Mac? Maybe I need to test with displays connected by Thunderbolt.
It's connected thru the switch. I'm not sure if you changed something relevant in AllRez, but the DisplayPort I2C dump looks better for the Studio Display now.

I suppose you could try different dscTargetBPP values between 8bpp and 18bpp. IOFBTimingRange says the GPU supports DSC@6bpp but I don't know if that applies to RGB - try it to see if it works or not. The reason to test lower dscTargetBPP values is because the default 12bpp is too much for 8K60. 10bpp is needed for 8K60 HDMI 2.1 using HBR3. 8bpp is needed for 8K60 CVT-RB using HBR2. I think you just need to disconnect and reconnect the display to make the setting take effect? Otherwise you may need to restart between tests. Verify that the display is using the new dscTargetBPP by checking the output of AllRez or AGDCDiagnose.
This doesn't seem to have any effect, even after reboot. Tried values lower & higher than 12. Attached AllRez output when set to 8bpp in case I'm misreading it. To confirm the setting:

Code:
% defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.CoreDisplay dscTargetBPP

You need Boot Camp with AMD drivers to test 6bpc and YCbCr and chroma sub sampling (4:2:2 and 4:2:0). You may need to add YCbCr and 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 manually to the EDID (using CRU) if the options don't automatically appear in the Radeon software. I expect YCbCr 4:4:4 to show weird colors and I expect 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 to have no image.
When you make the change to bpc or YCbCr/RGB or chroma sub sampling level, verify the results (and active resolution) in the Advanced Display Settings in Windows Display Settings.
Can't do this I'm afraid (work managed laptop).

Attachments

• bpp8.txt
    442.7 KB · Views: 92

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
"USB-C Bi-Direction Switch DATA & VIDEO & PD"

Where are you seeing a part number/SKU? [edit: found it on the bag it came in, same as yours A0206-D0103*2-3]
Thanks! Sounds like the same ConnBull model in terms of part number and labeling. If there's some difference to these, I'm not sure how one would identify it then or if there's any difference between ConnBull and CableDeconn. It does appear to work as advertised for DisplayPort signals assuming the right cables even if Thunderbolt didn't work for me. No problems whatsoever from the PC side of things using known good DP cables. Interesting to see that the Mac somehow is able to figure out to switch to DisplayPort DSC depending on the cable. I wonder what the mechanism is for that? Anyway, not sure I want to force my Mac into DisplayPort DSC mode, that's actually the opposite direction than I want to go in - I'm still trying to get my PC to do Thunderbolt or even DP without DSC (not that I've been able to see DSC nor is there any way on the PC to tell if DSC is happening).

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
It's connected thru the switch. I'm not sure if you changed something relevant in AllRez, but the DisplayPort I2C dump looks better for the Studio Display now.
Not sure why you couldn't see the DPCD before - I don't think I changed that part of the code.

This doesn't seem to have any effect, even after reboot. Tried values lower & higher than 12. Attached AllRez output when set to 8bpp in case I'm misreading it. To confirm the setting:

Code:
% defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.CoreDisplay dscTargetBPP
dscTargetBPP is definitely the correct name and case. It exists in CoreDisplay for Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey. I guess I need to do more digging to see how it's used. I wish this part was still open source. InstallTiming functions (including scaled resolutions) were last seen in HighSierra 10.13.6 open source code (IODisplayLib.c) which predates DSC support. The timing and scaled modes functions were moved to CoreDisplay starting with Sierra 10.12.

Reactions: Amethyst1

meltedbutter

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2022
Ok, I received one of these ConnBull switches and tried it out. This one is labeled "USB-C Bidirectional Switch Data & Video & PD" and not "Type C All In One Bidirectional KVM Switch". Part number is A0206. SKU is A0206-D0103*2-3. This one *does not* switch Thunderbolt but it will switch DisplayPort.

I just got the "USB-C Bi-Direction Switch DATA & VIDEO & PD", and it doesn't seem to work for Thunderbolt plugging the switch into the monitor with its built-in cable, a MacBookPro i7 or MacBookAir M1 to the switch via a short 40Gb/s-rated TB3 cable (and powering the switch with the included USB cable).

No signal on my monitor (BenQ PD3220U).

Reactions: BeatCrazy

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
Is anybody using the magnetic USB C adapters? Is it a viable solution?
This one works fine with my Satechi Thunderbolt 4 Dock. However, I had to cover the LED on the front because it's bright like the sun.

IMG_1587.jpeg

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I am, and I love it! The APEX Sun and "young selly" version mentioned earlier in the thread (I ordered both) are identical. There isn't any branding on either, aside from the '40Gbps', so they certainly are from the same OEM.

I switch between 3, or even 5 computers, for using the Apple Studio Display:
  • As the main monitor for my WFH MacBook Pro 13" (2019 4 Thunderbolt ports)
  • As an extended display for my Mac Studio Max, main monitor is Pro Display XDR
  • As an extended display for my Framework Windows laptop
  • As an extended display for my M1 MacBook Air
  • As a main monitor for my headless Windows PC, via TB3 (rare, and I can only get 2560x1440 resolution)

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
I am, and I love it! The APEX Sun and "young selly" version mentioned earlier in the thread (I ordered both) are identical. There isn't any branding on either, aside from the '40Gbps', so they certainly are from the same OEM.

I switch between 3, or even 5 computers, for using the Apple Studio Display:
  • As the main monitor for my WFH MacBook Pro 13" (2019 4 Thunderbolt ports)
  • As an extended display for my Mac Studio Max, main monitor is Pro Display XDR
  • As an extended display for my Framework Windows laptop
  • As an extended display for my M1 MacBook Air
  • As a main monitor for my headless Windows PC, via TB3 (rare, and I can only get 2560x1440 resolution)
Nice, and is it very quick and responsive when changing input? I have an M1 Mac mini as my personal machine and the new M1 MacBook Pro as my work machine.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Nice, and is it very quick and responsive when changing input? I have an M1 Mac mini as my personal machine and the new M1 MacBook Pro as my work machine.
Super fast when switching. Just as fast as if you'd physically plug in the cable to a port. Maybe 1-2 seconds for the sync to start? It's never failed to actually display the image, either.

Also, I am using it in conjunction with the CalDigit Element Hub, and that doesn't add any delay, either.

I'm actually surprised this 'poor man's KVM' is working as well as it does. And cheaply!

Reactions: sigamy

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010

Yup! I switch between two Macs almost daily without any issue using these magnetic connectors. I switch the connection right at the input of a Thunderbolt 4 hub which then connects to two Studio Displays, etc. Each Mac has its own Thunderbolt cable with an adapter connected at the end. The hub then has the male connector for the quick connect.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Yup! I switch between two Macs almost daily without any issue using these magnetic connectors. I switch the connection right at the input of a Thunderbolt 4 hub which then connects to two Studio Displays, etc. Each Mac has its own Thunderbolt cable with an adapter connected at the end. The hub then has the male connector for the quick connect.
Basically the same set up I have.

Also, it was shown/mentioned above that there is a bright light on the adapter. That light is only on the 'elbow' versions, not on the straight.

phoenixbt

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015
Which thunderbolt 4 hub are you using with this method?

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Which thunderbolt 4 hub are you using with this method?

It's an "Anker PowerExpand 5-in-1 Thunderbolt 4 Mini Dock". Both Studio Displays run at 5k and it seems to also handle charging and powering a 2021 MacBook Pro 16" just fine.

Reactions: phoenixbt

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Looks like the magnetic USB-C/Thunderbolt-compatible connectors are catching on... I noticed the price of the two pack going up to $29.99, from $23.99 (less regular 10% coupon), a few weeks ago.

You can still get the identical 2 pack (with additional 2 extra plugs) for $23.99 from a different seller. No affiliation, this link is hard to find because the 2 pack straight seems to go out of stock often. I just ordered another set.

At this time, I don't see any value in a 2-in-1 USB-C switch vs. the magnetic solution. I haven't followed close, but it seems like there are different versions with no guarantee which will work. And, you're "stuck" with just two inputs, where the magnetic solution offers basically unlimited switching possibility.

Also, I prefer a passive solution, just to eliminate any possibility of incompatibility if/when Apple makes some kind of update which upsets the circuitry in one of these switches.

imipolexg

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2022
I also ordered these magnetic connectors. Using them right now to switch between a Mac Studio and a MBP16 (2019) on a Studio Display. Power delivery, 5k video, camera/microphone/speakers all seem to work fine. They do make me a little nervous though, knowing the history of cheap USB-C cables/devices causing things to... explode. FWIW the connector seems a bit hot, although I never paid attention to that before so not sure if that's normal...

soundboutique

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
I can't really believe that no one else is in this same situation as us. My situation is slightly different,
I don't have a work Mac and a different personal Mac, but jeeshus.. is it a crime to have more than one Mac??
I have a 2020 iMac (intel) and I love it. It just works. Then, not long ago I got a Mac Studio (M1Max) for two editing projects and it also works great. Really great for editing as it scrubs through the timeline pretty dang good. But for other stuff the Intel 2020 iMac still beats it. So much is still not optimized for the M1's.. even after almost two friggin years. So... I'm desiring to use two different Macs and be able to easily switch between them both.

Because of my new Mac Studio purchase I've discovered these killer older apple monitors like the 30" Cinema Display and the 27" thunderbolt. Rather than buy the Studio display, I searched for alternatives. I like the thunderbolt 27 best as it just looks cooler (on the outside) and matches my iMac. So the Thunderbolt 27 Display works with the Mac Studio AND the 2020 iMac. Just using the thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 apple adaptor. BUT, as we've all been learning here.. there's no switch in existence to be able to alternate between 2 Macs. UGH. wtf. How can this be the first time this is an issue? In all the years that these displays have been out, no one has nailed this issue? Even now as folks here who are considering the Studio Display or the Pro XDR it just seems crazy. But that's apple right?? I guess. As fantastic as the monitors are from apple both new and old, I have to say having only ONE input is a major, deal breaking draw back. You can really see the damage from frayed cords on almost all the thunderbolt displays from even the lightest pluging/unpluging. Most of them are trashed at the connections.

Anyways, wanted to jump in here as I tried to use this ConnBull USB switch..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MQ4N8KM?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
But it DID NOT WORK. At least for my purposes and set up. That again was for me trying to use
with this Thunderbolt Display. I am curious though if any of you
who might have a Studio Display or a Pro XDR would give it a try? It seems similar to the above mentioned
USB-C switch from CableDeconn.

So yeah I switch back and forth between my two Macs but that's just the tip of the iceberg... I mean, I also have PC's. Once I set up a long render in C4D, I'm off to use a different computer. Blame it on all the stuff that
only works on Nvidia.
So having some kind of switch solution is gonna be imperative.
Or I'm back to other PC native monitors that have multiple inputs and can be changed at the push
of a button. Yet, I still have not found one I really like or think looks as good as even these 10 plus
year old Apple monitors.

Anyways, sucks to have this problem, but good to be among others who are trying to figure it out.
Hope something comes along.. or we all chip in to have an electronics expert custom make us something?
This issue will keep me from buying any new Apple monitor as I (or we) shouldn't have to Frankenstein
something to make them work properly in our use case scenario.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I can't really believe that no one else is in this same situation as us. My situation is slightly different,
I don't have a work Mac and a different personal Mac, but jeeshus.. is it a crime to have more than one Mac??
I have a 2020 iMac (intel) and I love it. It just works. Then, not long ago I got a Mac Studio (M1Max) for two editing projects and it also works great. Really great for editing as it scrubs through the timeline pretty dang good. But for other stuff the Intel 2020 iMac still beats it. So much is still not optimized for the M1's.. even after almost two friggin years. So... I'm desiring to use two different Macs and be able to easily switch between them both.

Because of my new Mac Studio purchase I've discovered these killer older apple monitors like the 30" Cinema Display and the 27" thunderbolt. Rather than buy the Studio display, I searched for alternatives. I like the thunderbolt 27 best as it just looks cooler (on the outside) and matches my iMac. So the Thunderbolt 27 Display works with the Mac Studio AND the 2020 iMac. Just using the thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 apple adaptor. BUT, as we've all been learning here.. there's no switch in existence to be able to alternate between 2 Macs. UGH. wtf. How can this be the first time this is an issue? In all the years that these displays have been out, no one has nailed this issue? Even now as folks here who are considering the Studio Display or the Pro XDR it just seems crazy. But that's apple right?? I guess. As fantastic as the monitors are from apple both new and old, I have to say having only ONE input is a major, deal breaking draw back. You can really see the damage from frayed cords on almost all the thunderbolt displays from even the lightest pluging/unpluging. Most of them are trashed at the connections.

But it DID NOT WORK. At least for my purposes and set up. That again was for me trying to use
who might have a Studio Display or a Pro XDR would give it a try? It seems similar to the above mentioned

So yeah I switch back and forth between my two Macs but that's just the tip of the iceberg... I mean, I also have PC's. Once I set up a long render in C4D, I'm off to use a different computer. Blame it on all the stuff that
only works on Nvidia.
So having some kind of switch solution is gonna be imperative.
Or I'm back to other PC native monitors that have multiple inputs and can be changed at the push
of a button. Yet, I still have not found one I really like or think looks as good as even these 10 plus
year old Apple monitors.

Anyways, sucks to have this problem, but good to be among others who are trying to figure it out.
Hope something comes along.. or we all chip in to have an electronics expert custom make us something?
This issue will keep me from buying any new Apple monitor as I (or we) shouldn't have to Frankenstein
something to make them work properly in our use case scenario.
Why not use the magnetic connectors? It's not ideal, but it's certainly flexible, cheap, works with Windows, etc.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Out of curiosity, what type of cables did you try? Reasonably sure this switch won't work at all without active cables plugged into it. I tried and returned it but was able to get it to display a picture, it just wasn't doing Thunderbolt as others had reported.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
I'm in the UK and the magnetic USB C adapters posted here aren't available on our Amazon. Most of the ones I can see are 10Gbps and mention 4k60. Will they still work and transfer 5k? What should I be looking for?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I'm in the UK and the magnetic USB C adapters posted here aren't available on our Amazon. Most of the ones I can see are 10Gbps and mention 4k60. Will they still work and transfer 5k? What should I be looking for?
Look for ones that specifically mention 40Gbps. They'll likely mention 8K as well.

The connectors don't actually know/care about resolution, it's more about them having all 24 pins.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
Look for ones that specifically mention 40Gbps. They'll likely mention 8K as well.

The connectors don't actually know/care about resolution, it's more about them having all 24 pins.
Thanks for that, I can see a couple that match that spec but they're all single connectors (not a 2 pack). How do I go about getting a second magnetic head? It doesn't seem like these are available separately.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Thanks for that, I can see a couple that match that spec but they're all single connectors (not a 2 pack). How do I go about getting a second magnetic head? It doesn't seem like these are available separately.
Keep searching Amazon, as there are (in the US, at least) several vendors that sell the same connectors. I think the only way to get more magnetic ends is to get the two pack, where you'll get 4 in total. More of those ends definitely come in handy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.