Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
The new iPads don't come with a 20W USB-C charger any more. They still do in the US, but not the UK or EU countries.

Look at the "What's in the box" section of the Tech Specs page.

varun14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
When you say no charger, you mean no charging brick right? Surely it will come with a USB-C cable?

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Ordered an 11 Pro for my wife as a birthday present, replacing a 10.5 Pro that she previously had. She’s not a power-user by any stretch but the OLED display will be really useful for her as she likes to sit in the garden on nice days using the device, so that extra screen brightness will be useful. Ordered an ESR case as an interim until Etsy cranks into gear and starts making arty cases like she prefers. :)

The new machines look really tempting to me, too, but with an M1 12.9 I can’t quite rationalise upgrading mine this year.

Last edited:

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
Went for the 11 256 in silver. My wife is currently using a 9.7 pro, but isn’t fussed about having the newest, so I’ll have the M4 and she’ll get my 1st Gen 11 inch Pro. Nice upgrades all around. Quite happy that we get around 6/7 years out of these. Went silver this time as the other 11 is space grey and will be easier not to confuse them.

dtuck90

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
Nothing on 3rd party sites yet it seems. I need curry’s to list them. Thankfully it doesn’t look like the iPads will sell out on launch day

Im wondering if they won’t have preorder and just show up on the website on launch day

Reactions: Joseph C

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
What delivery dates are people seeing for the Pro models now?

I went onto the Apple UK web site a few minutes after the presentation ended and had a very smooth experience ordering a space black 256GB WiFi-only 11" iPad Pro for 15th May delivery which I think is the first day they ship to customers (although I actually selected a 15th May pickup from my nearest Apple Store).

One of the rumours prior to launch, repeated quite a few times in the month running up to yesterday, was that particularly the 11" Pro was initially going to be in very short supply due to production/yield issues with the 11" OLED screen. I'm curious as to whether that rumour was total and utter nonsense or whether I got lucky by getting in slightly early because a lot of people got slightly blindsided by how quickly the store went live with the latest models.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Anyone heard if the UK versions are eSim only as well or is that just US like the phones
That's certainly what the Apple UK web site says for the Pro models...

"SIM Card
  • eSIM8
  • iPad Pro uses eSIM technology and is not compatible with physical SIM cards."
[ Source: https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-pro/specs/ ]

I assume the other iPads have a similarly complete specification pages on the Apple UK web site that will say in the "SIM Card" section of their specification pages whether they have physical SIM card slots or nor.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
What delivery dates are people seeing for the Pro models now?

I went onto the Apple UK web site a few minutes after the presentation ended and had a very smooth experience ordering a space black 256GB WiFi-only 11" iPad Pro for 15th May delivery which I think is the first day they ship to customers (although I actually selected a 15th May pickup from my nearest Apple Store).

One of the rumours prior to launch, repeated quite a few times in the month running up to yesterday, was that particularly the 11" Pro was initially going to be in very short supply due to production/yield issues with the 11" OLED screen. I'm curious as to whether that rumour was total and utter nonsense or whether I got lucky by getting in slightly early because a lot of people got slightly blindsided by how quickly the store went live with the latest models.
Just checked the 11 wifi only 256GB and it's still saying 15th for delivery.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010

"SIM Card
  • eSIM8

I assume the other iPads have a similarly complete specification pages on the Apple UK web site that will say in the "SIM Card" section of their specification pages whether they have physical SIM card slots or nor.
Isn't it true that for iSIM you have to go with a contract? In my iPad mini I had a pre loaded sim that lasted up to 2 years (with 3)?

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester

"SIM Card
  • eSIM8

Cheers better order a eSim from EE

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Ordered a 13” 2TB SB Cellular Standard screen and Magic Keyboard, collecting next Thursday.

I’ve been dilly dallying over night regarding the matte screen. I do appreciate the etched glass on my OLED Steam Deck as I use it a lot at work, really does make a difference where I cannot control the lighting. This new iPad will be used entirely at home where I can control lighting, so figured I may as well as go standard. It’s never been a problem with my current iPad.

Feels like a double upgrade in a way - my trusty 11” 2018 1TB LTE (with poor 83% battery that Apple would likely rate at 90%, pfft!) that I use for work/travel (with matte screen protector) is going to a happy family member. My 12.9” M1 2TB Cellular 2021 will become my travel iPad. It will be nice to finally take advantage of 5G, and this is why I always buy cellular as I know eventually it will get used extensively. Just need to get a matte screen protector for the 2021 M1 now.

It was the new Magic Keyboard that swung it. I’ve wanted function keys forever. The Magic Keyboard is stupidly priced but the old ones have been flawless for me, even the 11” which I’ve took to work every day since it released.

Patchwork

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Near Preston, UK
Waiting for them to go up on John Lewis site, as can collect and only ten mins away from me.
Apple will actually deliver to shops near your home address, so unless you want to support John Lewis, then that might be worth looking into. Only know this as I’m office based on Wednesday’s so went for local delivery.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
Ordered a 13” 2TB SB Cellular Standard screen and Magic Keyboard, collecting next Thursday.

I’ve been dilly dallying over night regarding the matte screen. I do appreciate the etched glass on my OLED Steam Deck as I use it a lot at work, really does make a difference where I cannot control the lighting. This new iPad will be used entirely at home where I can control lighting, so figured I may as well as go standard. It’s never been a problem with my current iPad.

Feels like a double upgrade in a way - my trusty 11” 2018 1TB LTE (with poor 83% battery that Apple would likely rate at 90%, pfft!) that I use for work/travel (with matte screen protector) is going to a happy family member. My 12.9” M1 2TB Cellular 2021 will become my travel iPad. It will be nice to finally take advantage of 5G, and this is why I always buy cellular as I know eventually it will get used extensively. Just need to get a matte screen protector for the 2021 M1 now.

It was the new Magic Keyboard that swung it. I’ve wanted function keys forever. The Magic Keyboard is stupidly priced but the old ones have been flawless for me, even the 11” which I’ve took to work every day since it released.
I could never go Wi-Fi only. Always had a cellular version. I pay £6 a month with EE for 5GB but just transfer 30 - 40GB of data from my mobile plan. With being a contract from pre Brexit both plans get free roaming which is a god send when abroad

Reactions: yegon

ACDeag

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
Edinburgh, UK
Isn't it true that for iSIM you have to go with a contract? In my iPad mini I had a pre loaded sim that lasted up to 2 years (with 3)?
No, the following offer sims without contracts (you may need a physical sim first then ask for it to be swapped).

ID Mobile (PAYG and contract)
Three (PAYG and contract)
Giffgaff*
Spuzu* (have a painful activation process that doesn't work well with iPads so you will need to contact them to activate)
Lycamobile*
Honest Mobile* (bit expensive)

* You can sign up online for eSim

I may have missed some.

You maybe able to convert your physical sim by going online to your account and choosing replace sim and picking esim, they should email you a QR code that you then scan in via the mobile data setup page.

madmads

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2008
UK
Very has ‘coming soon’ on their front page so whether that means pre orders I don’t know

varun14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
Marques Brownlee’s iPad impressions video is out and he has some interesting comments about the nano texture display, so worth watching if you are thinking of that option.

Nano coating is always a big mistake on any screen. Whatever the screen quality is (OLED, QLED, Mini LED etc.), the nano coating will actually add a blur effect to that. OLED is the most noticeable. I learned that when I recently looked to buy the new Samsung S95D. Turns out that their latest flagship OLED TV is worse than the previous year's one, since the new one has a matte coating on top for anti glare, but it therefore means that the colours from the OLED aren't as "inky", defeating the purpose of why you'd buy an OLED TV.

Same applies to the iPad, and even monitors like the Studio Display.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I could never go Wi-Fi only. Always had a cellular version. I pay £6 a month with EE for 5GB but just transfer 30 - 40GB of data from my mobile plan. With being a contract from pre Brexit both plans get free roaming which is a god send when abroad.
Same more or less. A permanent cellular connection transforms these devices if you’re very often away from wifi (as I am).

Free wifi is garbage and insecure, and tethering is a whole process that detracts from the experience massively. Of course none of this matters for people who are constantly near reliable, secure wifi. Yeah yeah I get it, tethering might be fine to use occasionally for specific, lengthy sessions, but always on instant access is priceless.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I was hoping to add one to my EE contract as I prefer the cellular option but they've still not updated the site. They oddly took down the old iPad Air. I'd be tempted by an old Air if they did a deal on them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.