Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Banking/finance/Health apps, have some justifiable reasons (at least) for taking time...

A complete overhaul of those apps probably has to go thru a bunch of approvals to makes sure they meet all financial and healthcare regulations

Active Trader Pro was written in the 1990s using an ancient tool and it runs via WINE on macOS. They have developed complete iPhone and iPad apps for trading in the past decade. They could have rewritten their desktop program with about the same resources.

Think or Swim is a Java application. Java is portable and there native Apple Silicon distributions. I have a video showing you how to install Apple Silicon Java and running Think or Swim natively and I put out the first version of the video back in 2021.

Reactions: Tagbert

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Logitech Logi Tune is now Apple Silicon-native/Universal as of v3.2.247.

Only issue now is the menu bar icon doesn't transition with dark/light backgrounds as other icons do.

Reactions: Internaut

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
I just got this email regarding Kindle for Mac. From what it says, there is a new app for Mac, which will be able to be downloaded from the App Store starting sometime this month. The current app will be supported until October 2023. It does not mention if the new app will be on Apple Silicon, but seems likely

Attachments

• IMG_2026.jpeg
    IMG_2026.jpeg
    458.6 KB · Views: 66

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I got the same email (well, UK version) but it is still a strange way to deliver an update. The email went out in Sept but before the new app was actually ready and slightly after the old app was removed from the App Store - all with less than a month before the old app stops working. The old app is needed to transfer purchases to the new one; if unable to do so before the diminishing days left in Sept, then what?

There may be a bit of spilt milk for those who do not or cannot do the update dance in the remaining days. It is usually considered wise to have an app actually launch before calling 'time' on the old one!

Support for the current app will be ending by October 2023. The new Kindle for Mac will be available to download from the Mac App Store in September 2023.

So yeah, I guess I could do the update in Sept, but we are 4 days in now and the new app has yet to appear.

☕️

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I thought my post had aged badly in around a minute as 'Kindle For Mac' has just listed on the App Store. Unfortunately it is only the old one again. Still, its reappearance will help some of those with the transition... so there is that I guess.

☕️

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
Are we supposed to download the old one and update it or wait for the new Kindle app to appear?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I thought my post had aged badly in around a minute as 'Kindle For Mac' has just listed on the App Store. Unfortunately it is only the old one again. Still, its reappearance will help some of those with the transition... so there is that I guess.

☕️
Kindle for Mac has been on the App Store for years- release notes go back 9 years and I've had it installed on many older Macs.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
@chrfr
Did I say it didn't exist or imply that I did not have it installed?

No, I said it was pulled and then returned to the App Store in the context that the new one failed to appear even by the start of this month.

I didn't think it would be that hard to understand.

☕️

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
@chrfr
Did I say it didn't exist or imply that I did not have it installed?

No, I said it was pulled and then returned to the App Store in the context that the new one failed to appear even by the start of this month.

I didn't think it would be that hard to understand.

☕️
…but it hadn’t been pulled.

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
AdGuard for Mac has been a Universal binary for quite a while now, since v. 2.6.0 released in 2021. I'll update the wiki.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
…but it hadn’t been pulled.
You sound like the proverbial kid in the playground. In my region it was pulled on the 1st to the 4th. No doubt this was on the assumption that the new one would be live by then. Even now, the new app remains absent, at least in my region.

This is the internet dude; add constructive stuff or just don't type. It is an easy method to avoid looking petty or silly.

☕️

• Haha
Reactions: Killerbob

AstonFox

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2022
WhatsApp finally came out of beta and is available to download. 🥳
The native app has this version number: 23.17.82 (513746600).

The list on the first post can be updated.

App store version 2.2335.9 is still non native.

STOCK411

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2007
and its live

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
and its live
I just downloaded this and it's an Intel app, version 6.85.1.

STOCK411

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2007
of course it is... did we expect competency from Amazon?

Its been how many years since the first M1 chip.... And they finally release a new version thats still Intel...

I just downloaded this and it's an Intel app, version 6.85.1.

VivienM

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2022
Toronto, ON
A team of 8 year olds would have released a native AS kindle app by now.
Isn't the kindle app electron? Or is that only Kobo's?

Basically, in my experience, the only non-AS-native apps left (Authy, I'm looking at you) are electron. And that makes sense, even though electron makes it easy to support AS - if you are suffering from so much brain damage and judgment impairment that you think electron is a half-reasonable way to develop software, then why would you have any concerns about running it in Rosetta 2? And surely you have no concerns about your end-users' resources, otherwise you wouldn't inflict an electron app upon them...

I really, really wish the late Steve Jobs had been around and had been able to do to Electron the same thing he did to Flash. If anything, Electron didn't have an installed base of 10-15 years, so it should have been easier to prevent it from getting entrenched.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.