Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

platinumestates

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2024
Simple outcome, I think I am gonna end up with the Hynix
So far, have tested 3 SSD's cause of a scorched earth policy, Don't ask.

Summary, mid 2015 MBP A1398 15 inch with these stats. Basically my Apple SSD was KAPUT, so I only loaded Monterey straight from Internet recovery onto my SSD's using an enclosure after formatting them. No need to have load the OS onto the firmware before changing the SSD internally, in fact I even removed the internal SSD when doing the OS loading so, as long as you have the same computer I do have no fear. Otherwise eh.
View attachment 2369056

Crucial P3 with Long Sintech Adapter
View attachment 2369046
Had the lowest temperature running so far.....will Test P3+ Tomorrow

WD SN750 SE works ONLY with Long Sintech adapter linked above
View attachment 2369051

And the Sabrent I connected with the Short sintech https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08QF7MFB2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details, ran the hottest from the loading in the SSD enclosure to internal.
View attachment 2369052

I will be testing the Crucial P3+ and Hynix Gold P31 tomorrow and will settle on a card based on power draw and read write speed. From the look at the moment, it might be the Crucial p3+ but we shall see

Crucial P3+
IMG_2610.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

And the surprise winner (for me at this point) is the Hynix
IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

2600 mb read and write at 2300? I was expecting Hynix to be more or less the same thing as the others but on top of that, with the lowest power draw of all, makes it a no brainer for me.

Reactions: dogen

_SGA_

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2024
Solution to Windows 11 Crash

Hey guys, I just replaced the SSD of my MacBook Air 2014 with NVME ssd using an adapter, than I installed Windows 11 using a bootcamp. Sadly it was booting only in safe mode and every time I try to load Windows normally it were giving me an error "BOOT DISK UNACCESSIBLE".

Sadly there is no information on the internet for this, but I have found the solution.

Solution
Start the Windows in a safe mode. In Power Options go to Edit Plan Settings -> Change advanced power settings -> PCI Express -> Link State Power Managment. Set this to Off and this fixes the problem. Now you can restart the computer in normal mode.

camt_spel

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2024
Wanted to post a SSD that worked in case anyone was wondering: Samsung 990 EVO. MBPR 15" mid 2014
Can confirm, I also just replaced the stock SSD from my mid 2014 15' MBPR with a Samsung 990 EVO 1TB.

Here are the differences in specs attached - Before and After. A 187% improvement in Write speeds and a 212% improvement in read speeds (maybe?) Not sure if this is 100% accurate, I'm just going off of the pictures of the read and write disk tests below.

I wonder how the power consumption plays into the switch. Anyone have any information on the 990 EVO?

Always, I am super happy going from a 250gb storage to a 1TB storage and a little faster speeds.

Attachments

• Disk Speed Test.jpg
    Disk Speed Test.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Disk Speed Test After.jpg
    Disk Speed Test After.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 24

Sarako

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2024
hello, i've been reading a lot this forum and i cant find good options to buy a WD SSD, can't find the 550 where i'm from, there's the 770 and i think its at a good price but haven't seen being recommended here, i have a MBA (mid 2013) with the latest update for her (big sur 11.7.10) i just want to make sure it's gonna work cause i see WD get recommended but idk if the model would make a change.
also im kinda confused, big sur got rid of the hibernation/issues with Nvme ssd's?

stevenshine

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2024
So, I have read nearly 400 pages of this upgrade guide and all are helpful. But SSD model suggestions are old and not available in my region.

Currently I've ordered this sintech adaptor and for nvme drive ....
Should I go for

1 TB SSD WD BLUE SN570 - PCIe 3/NVMe M.2 2280 (WDS100T3B0C) * which in the sintech adaptor page it said not work but I understand can be okey with newer batch and SSD firmware update.
or
WD BLUE SN580 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 2280 (WDS100T3B0E) SSD ( anyone tried with this ? ).

Any last suggest ? MacBook Pro Mid 2015 15 inch ( A1398 ) model. Gonna be Okey ?

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
So, I have read nearly 400 pages of this upgrade guide and all are helpful. But SSD model suggestions are old and not available in my region.

Should I go for

1 TB SSD WD BLUE SN570 - PCIe 3/NVMe M.2 2280 (WDS100T3B0C) * which in the sintech adaptor page it said not work but I understand can be okey with newer batch and SSD firmware update.
or
WD BLUE SN580 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 2280 (WDS100T3B0E) SSD ( anyone tried with this ? ).

Any last suggest ? MacBook Pro Mid 2015 15 inch ( A1398 ) model. Gonna be Okey ?

The Sabrent I have in my 2015 MBP is delicious; the SK Hynix P31's I have in my other units are sublime.

Reactions: stevenshine

natus.w

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2021

Should I go for

or

Got an SN580 here in an 11” MacBook Air, running fine with no issues (1400MBs up and down; with a similar PCIE setup you should see similar results to me)

Reactions: stevenshine

mr25

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2024
Just bought a 970 Evo Plus and installed Catalina from my MBP early 2015 to the SSD using an external enclosure. The install went fine but when I inserted the SSD within the MAC it wasn't detected. I used the following adapter: Qnine Adapter from Amazon.de I'd presume the adapter is not compatible with the 970 Evo Plus (which is actually stated in the description but there are conflictings posts within the Amazon Q&A saying it is compatible).

My Samsung Evo Plus was manufactured in Thailand in 2023/08. The PN Number is MZVLB1T0HBLR (old Phoenix controller) and model is MZ-V7S1T0. Firmware version is 2B2QEXM7

Wondering if anyone has had any success with this particular SSD model and if yes what adapter was used?

Last edited:

macpro_mid2014

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Just bought a 970 Evo Plus and installed Catalina from my MBP early 2015 to the SSD using an external enclosure. The install went fine but when I inserted the SSD within the MAC it wasn't detected. I used the following adapter: Qnine Adapter from Amazon.de I'd presume the adapter is not compatible with the 970 Evo Plus (which is actually stated in the description but there are conflictings posts within the Amazon Q&A saying it is compatible).

My Samsung Evo Plus was manufactured in Thailand in 2023/08. The PN Number is MZVLB1T0HBLR (old Phoenix controller) and model is MZ-V7S1T0. Firmware version is 2B2QEXM7

Wondering if anyone has had any success with this particular SSD model and if yes what adapter was used?
Is the MBP firmware updated to the latest version?
If so, I remember reading somewhere in this thread that the model of SSD you bought has some incompatibilities. You can solve that by upgrading the SSD's firmware by using the proprietary software provided by Samsung.

mr25

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2024
Is the MBP firmware updated to the latest version?
If so, I remember reading somewhere in this thread that the model of SSD you bought has some incompatibilities. You can solve that by upgrading the SSD's firmware by using the proprietary software provided by Samsung.
Indeed, I have also read that upgrading the SSD's firmware on the the EVO Plus might solve the incompatibility issues but the posts are a tad old and I suspect that these were referring to the current firmware I have on my SSD; 2B2QEXM7. I'm not risking upgrading to the very latest version currently available on the Samsung website which is version 4B2QEXM7. It would be hard to downgrade, if possible at all, should the issues persist and I have not met any success stories specifically mentioning the latter firmware version.

In any case I'm curious what adapter - firmware combination was used on these Samsung 970 Evo Plus for anyone who has had their upgrade successful.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Indeed, I have also read that upgrading the SSD's firmware on the the EVO Plus might solve the incompatibility issues but the posts are a tad old and I suspect that these were referring to the current firmware I have on my SSD; 2B2QEXM7. I'm not risking upgrading to the very latest version currently available on the Samsung website which is version 4B2QEXM7. It would be hard to downgrade, if possible at all, should the issues persist and I have not met any success stories specifically mentioning the latter firmware version.

In any case I'm curious what adapter - firmware combination was used on these Samsung 970 Evo Plus for anyone who has had their upgrade successful.

Samsung changed the controller for the 970 EVO Plus when a new revision was released back in 2021, the first revision have the original Phoenix controller and these have firmwares that start with the prefix 2B.

For new revision of the 970 EVO Plus, Samsung changed to a newer controller, the Elpis one, and these use the firmwares that start with the prefix 4B.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/pmvc9k

You can't use a firmware from one to the other, is not even possible to cross-flash it.

Interestingly enough, Samsung still made later production runs after 2021 with the original Phoenix controller, I have a 2TB made in 2023 with the Phoenix controller.

Reactions: macpro_mid2014

mr25

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2024
Samsung changed the controller for the 970 EVO Plus when a new revision was released back in 2021, the first revision have the original Phoenix controller and these have firmwares that start with the prefix 2B.

For new revision of the 970 EVO Plus, Samsung changed to a newer controller, the Elpis one, and these use the firmwares that start with the prefix 4B.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/pmvc9k

You can't use a firmware from one to the other, is not even possible to cross-flash it.

Interestingly enough, Samsung still made later production runs after 2021 with the original Phoenix controller, I have a 2TB made in 2023 with the Phoenix controller.
Thanks for the link.

As in your case, my SSD manufactured in 2023 also uses the Phoenix controller and hence the 2B prefix of the firmware version.

Now that I confirm I have the latest firmware installed and that I managed to install Catalina on the SSD attached to an enclosure, it must definitely be the adapter which is somehow incompatible (unless I am missing something else which might not be that obvious)

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012

Crucial P3+
View attachment 2369365
View attachment 2369366

And the surprise winner (for me at this point) is the Hynix
View attachment 2369367
View attachment 2369368
2600 mb read and write at 2300? I was expecting Hynix to be more or less the same thing as the others but on top of that, with the lowest power draw of all, makes it a no brainer for me.
I returned my 2TB Hynix P31 Gold module as performance was inferior to WD Blue SN570 & SN580. It was also running hotter (50C vs 40C).

natus.w

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2021
Thanks for the link.

As in your case, my SSD manufactured in 2023 also uses the Phoenix controller and hence the 2B prefix of the firmware version.

Now that I confirm I have the latest firmware installed and that I managed to install Catalina on the SSD attached to an enclosure, it must definitely be the adapter which is somehow incompatible (unless I am missing something else which might not be that obvious)
You mostly seem to have answered your own question.

Is it not enough ask to buy another adapter? (they’re cheap enough (10-13EUR, maybe less; we cannot account for all of the Chinese factories configuring and producing these so quality will vary wildly..)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.