Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
What was your first ever iPhone?

Mine: iPhone 3GS - 2008. Been upgrading every single year since then. It’s 2023. 🤯

View attachment 2266359
3GS. I wasn’t interested in the original iphone because I thought “I’d have fingerprint smudges all over the screen…gross!”: then I saw them in public and wished that I’d gotten one. I’ve upgraded every year since the 3GS: selling the old phone and buying the new. Now, I’m on the IUP.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
There was a whole drama with the White iPhone 4. Crazy times!
That plus the whole AntennaGate at the very beginning is why Mark Papermaster left (or was he really fired lol)

https://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/0...ineering-chief-mark-papermaster-leaves-apple/

iPhone 4 had such a troublesome launch. The whole Lost/Stolen iPhone 4 prototype at the bar which led to the Gizmodo article which led to the arrest of the Gizmodo editor.

The delayed White iPhone 4 launch and then AntennaGate causing Apple to give away from bumpers for a period of time.

Oh and we can't forgot Comex bringing up JailbreakMe.com back for a super early iPhone 4 jailbreak. I think that was about 3 weeks after the iPhone 4 launched or something like that.

The iPhone 4 also was the first iPhone to support Verizon when they launched that version like 6 months later with a revised external antenna to correct the AntennaGate issues.

Crazy times indeed!

Wolfs

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2020
That plus the whole AntennaGate at the very beginning is why Mark Papermaster left (or was he really fired lol)

https://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/0...ineering-chief-mark-papermaster-leaves-apple/

iPhone 4 had such a troublesome launch. The whole Lost/Stolen iPhone 4 prototype at the bar which led to the Gizmodo article which led to the arrest of the Gizmodo editor.

The delayed White iPhone 4 launch and then AntennaGate causing Apple to give away from bumpers for a period of time.

Oh and we can't forgot Comex bringing up JailbreakMe.com back for a super early iPhone 4 jailbreak. I think that was about 3 weeks after the iPhone 4 launched or something like that.

The iPhone 4 also was the first iPhone to support Verizon when they launched that version like 6 months later with a revised external antenna to correct the AntennaGate issues.

Crazy times indeed!
Wow, @MrENGLISH I had forgotten all that. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

MrP90

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
Florida
On the 22nd I'll already be checked into my hotel room. I have my iPhone 15 Pro Max 512gb set for In Store pickup , Sept 22nd, 8-8:15am . Once I get the new iPhone back tot he hotel room, which is the fastest way to transfer my data over? The wi-fi isn't the greatest but I was thinking maybe iPhone to iPhone Wi-Fi Direct transfer? I am assuming I'll be back to the hotel about 9am and need to head out again 10:45am ish. Should I bring my MBP and do an encrypted backup to the Mac and restore from there? Lol I need to remember to unpair my watch this time as well lol

Gsxr750

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2022
I know in the past the phones usually go from Zhengzhou to alaska, but I think they will be stopping in hong kong this year. There’s 2 flights scheduled out of Hong Kong to Alaska, both ups flights, one in 12 hours one in 14 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 54

Lex404

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US, JP)
On the 22nd I'll already be checked into my hotel room. I have my iPhone 15 Pro Max 512gb set for In Store pickup , Sept 22nd, 8-8:15am . Once I get the new iPhone back tot he hotel room, which is the fastest way to transfer my data over? The wi-fi isn't the greatest but I was thinking maybe iPhone to iPhone Wi-Fi Direct transfer? I am assuming I'll be back to the hotel about 9am and need to head out again 10:45am ish. Should I bring my MBP and do an encrypted backup to the Mac and restore from there? Lol I need to remember to unpair my watch this time as well lol
Your apps will need to be all downloaded and it will be a hot mess.
All apps will want to download at the same time, you can't really prioritize and it will take a lot.

What I'm doing: cleaning the phone of trash apps that I don't need before the upgrade. deleted the current "backup"(which was 80 GB). Did a new backup, 10 GB

MrP90

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
Florida
Your apps will need to be all downloaded and it will be a hot mess.
All apps will want to download at the same time, you can't really prioritize and it will take a lot.

What I'm doing: cleaning the phone of trash apps that I don't need before the upgrade.
I know the apps will have to download since they are not transferred (just app data) . I'll do the same and try to trim down non used apps.

Lex404

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US, JP)
I remember years ago, I think during 5S era, if you were backing up on Mac/ PC the app files would be backed up.
Unfortunately it's not the case anymore... Last year I had to try restore from backup,, waited 2 hours, it was a mess on Apple Store's wifi, gave up, reset, set as new 🤯

This year I'm going ready

Reactions: POWERPLANTHOMER

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Tried website and app. I try to update my address and it says there is another account associated with the name or other stuff already. Tried to create a new account but it says my name was used already. I looked around to try and delete everything under the addresses but nothing has worked. The only thing that did work it change my username and password.
I’m having the exact same problem! It is possible years ago I created an account I don’t remember and failed to enter into 1Password because something went awry, I don’t know.

I live at an address that has two names that can be used interchangeably for the city. Most of my mail uses one of the names but for some reason on UPS I’ve got the alternate name listed. I can’t edit the address to make it match what I use for my shipping address with Apple. Sigh.

Clingpeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014

Crazy times indeed!
I always jail broke my phones...bought every one since its inception (EXCEPT THE 8) I need slingplayer on there..I used to spend 6 months abroad...how things have changed...the worst thing is that slingbox was discontinued

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
Last edited:

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
If you want to understand how fast your devices are charging you can use cheap USBC testers that will tell you exactly how much power is being passed through .

I use DROK usb tester usb-c which is like 20 bucks on Amazon. if I could bring one thing to an island, I would strongly consider this.

this really isn’t necessary if you’re using Apples newest chargers and cables. If we can’t trust Apple, we’ve got bigger issues. (Though I still test them, and they perform as advertised.)

It’s great if you have existing usbc chargers and want to see how a third party cable behaves with a third party charger and see what will provide the fastest, most consistent power supply.

some people are asking if dual or triple port chargers would spread the load evenly or speed up or down when other devices connect. No need to guess, just plug the cable Into the tester and the tester into your device and it will tell you exactly.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Trading in phones with carriers seems so different than with Apple. What I've experienced when checking into it is they divide out the credit over 2/3 years and only give it to you monthly off your bill instead of all upfront where with Apple, you get it all upfront.
Also, you pay sales tax on the entire price of the phone with carriers, versus Apple where you pay sales tax on the difference between full price and trade in value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.