Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
I'm still very curious how much space the spatial videos are going to take up. I'm gonna throw out ~600MB per minute if they're 60fps. If they're 30 then ~490MB.

Also if they’re square like shown in some of the renders I’m guessing 2160x2160.

I just looked at the 15 Pro keynote again and it records widescreen spatial videos. At WWDC, they were square… that’s weird?

What I am more curious about is how they are using two different cameras to capture in 3D.

The ultra wide camera is not going to have the same resolution/quality as the main camera - especially when the ultra wide is going to require an additional crop to match the main cameras recording area.

Are they going to use the ultra wide to create a depth map of the area as a work around?

Bananasaurus

Suspended
Aug 16, 2023
It looks like it’s been removed? Good job. You saved the night.
giphy.gif

You should become a Mod.
200w.gif

My iPhone arrives on Friday.
My iPhone can't arrive soon enough!

Bananasaurus

Suspended
Aug 16, 2023
One last fun post for the night...going through the archives since we talked about fav phones. Easily the white 4s was my fav phone and style.

With these killer bumper cases

U0NPmcw.png

And these old school snap in cases lol ...some of the best cases ever

KZdQkHm.png

Tomorrow wave 1 begins! Night!
I think I still have my white 4S lying around somewhere (it was my first iPhone).

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
Seattle, Washington
What I am more curious about is how they are using two different cameras to capture in 3D.

The ultra wide camera is not going to have the same resolution/quality as the main camera - especially when the ultra wide is going to require an additional crop to match the main cameras recording area.

Are they going to use the ultra wide to create a depth map of the area as a work around?
Don’t forget LIDAR is kicking around. The quality problem is probably just going to cause one eye to be a little more fuzzy than the other, but the Nintendo 3DS took relatively convincing 3D video with a similar distance between its two cameras. It probably won’t look as good as a video recorded with a Vision Pro. Kind of like how a DSLR beats an iPhone at photos.

Tuche

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2017
West Texas
Before the pre order i was deciding rather to do delivery or in store pick up. Im glad I went with in store pick up this time around. I thought of having it delivered to work but then i would miss the tracking.
Unfortunately for me, the closest Apple Store is roughly 5 hours from me! In store pick up is not an option for me since I will be working on Friday, so I am having my phone sent to my work. I don’t think I can use UPS MC for commercial addresses, so pretty sure I am going to miss out on the tracking for my 15P 1TB Blue Titanium!

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
Don’t forget LIDAR is kicking around. The quality problem is probably just going to cause one eye to be a little more fuzzy than the other, but the 3DS took relatively convincing 3D video with a similar distance between its two cameras. It probably won’t look as good as a video recorded with a Vision Pro. Kind of like how a DSLR beats an iPhone at photos.
True. But they specially said it would utilize both the ultra wide and the main cameras for spacial videos. Maybe they meant individually and not combined. 🤷‍♂️

I still own the RED Hydrogen One and the stereo cameras on the back are not spaced out correctly for proper 3D capture. So they tried to fix it via software. The results were mixed but mostly bad.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm still very curious how much space the spatial videos are going to take up. I'm gonna throw out ~600MB per minute if they're 60fps. If they're 30 then ~490MB.

Also if they’re square like shown in some of the renders I’m guessing 2160x2160.
I’m curious about that, too. I am downsizing from a 1TB 14 Pro Max (though actually currently daily driving a 256 GB 12 Pro Max with no regrets) to a 512 GB 15 Pro Max. I don’t anticipate making very many spatial videos of consequence this year. This is going to be the year I get a feel for what my needs going forward will be.

But I am curious, because I think iPhone 16 is going to be when I will want to invest in storage upgrades again. And I believe we will know more about the potential long term appeal of spatial video and the vision pro ecosystem by then.

Bananasaurus

Suspended
Aug 16, 2023
Unfortunately for me, the closest Apple Store is roughly 5 hours from me!
200w.gif

In store pick up is not an option for me since I will be working on Friday, so I am having my phone sent to my work. I don’t think I can use UPS MC for commercial addresses, so pretty sure I am going to miss out on the tracking for my 15P 1TB Blue Titanium!
Join the Annoying-Reasons-I-Can't-Track-My-iPhone Club!

I have an attachment to VR that most people don't have.

I bought a Virtual Boy on Day 1 when it released in 1995.

My ex and I had started a VR business back in 2015 with a focus on filming wedding and other events in Stereo 360 VR utilizing 14 GoPro cameras at one time.

That venture turned out to be a little too soon for the market and eventually folded and took my relationship with her down with it.

After that I took a break from VR for awhile and only recently came back to it. I currently own the PS VR 1 and the Quest 2.

I'm interested in the Vision Pro BUT I'm not willing to drop $3500 for one. If I can get a good deal on one I will most likely buy it then.
I am also curious about the new spacial video that will be coming to both iPhone 15 PM and the AVP.

I am a sucker for stereo/3D video.

I graduated with a degree in Media Arts and Animation and made my graduation reel in stereo 3D with the Red and Blue glasses - this was back in 2004 before 3D TVs were even a thing. The 3D Glasses were a great idea to me because I put my contact info on them and they acted like business cards.

So I am very much interested in the idea of spacial video and hope it looks great in the AVP. I'm also hoping they will start selling 3D movies in the Apple TV store.

Dang! Pretty impressive credential. I'm impressed.

What are your thoughts if Apple Vision Pro can run Windows XP?

1688054001514-jpeg.2225293

• Haha
Reactions: rjjacobson

ksujoel

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2015
Kansas
I tried finding a tracking number with a reference number but it only shows the last 4 of what I assume is the tracking number. Any way to find the full thing?
You might consider creating a UPS my choice account, which is free and when you input your address, it will find packages that are set to be shipped to that address.

fryfrkhlly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
One last fun post for the night...going through the archives since we talked about fav phones. Easily the white 4s was my fav phone and style.

With these killer bumper cases

U0NPmcw.png

And these old school snap in cases lol ...some of the best cases ever

KZdQkHm.png

Tomorrow wave 1 begins! Night!
I wanted one of these phones so bad... lol those bumpers were my favorite.

repillows

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2023
Houston, TX
You might consider creating a UPS my choice account, which is free and when you input your address, it will find packages that are set to be shipped to that address.
UPS is giving me issues with that. I have a UPS login but when I try to enroll with MyChoice, it shows my name/email/home address is already enrolled? UPS customer service is useless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.