Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I told myself if they had what I was considering in stock today I'd go for it and can always return it if I don't like it (I really like my 13 mini and when I've tried larger in the past I've always gone pack to old smaller models). They did (15 Pro/Natural/256GB/Unlocked) so I did, pickup 11:45am local here in Arizona.

Ok, so I have a question to y'all.

With the software update bug and all that is going around, I think I"m going to set up my iPhone as NEW, make any software updates that are needed and THEN restore from iCloud backup. Is this correct? Could I still use Quickstart, if I wanted at that point?

Also, I will be helping my girlfriend with her iPhone setup, but hers might be a little more complicated. She is coming from an iPhone 11 and I know she has not updated to iOS 17 yet. So, when I set hers up, should I set hers up as new, update the software and then restore from iCloud backup?

Any other recommendations would be welcome.
- I prefer setting the new iPhone as brand new. Freshly installed!
- Apply the new update (Under settings)
- Turn iCloud on everything sync over (Make sure it's the latest back up)

Use a 5W Apple Charging Adapter and plug in your iPhone so it doesn't overheat and syncs properly.

Good luck!!!

Last edited:

LLL1424

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2005
Washington, D.C.
IMG_3421.jpeg

Yay!!!

dcrumbaugh

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
So for probably the first (and last) time ever in my life I was the first person in my area (Buffalo, NY) to officially buy the new iPhone.

Had an 8am pickup reservation for the 15 Pro Max at the Walden Galleria Apple Store, which was the earliest time possible. Got there at 7:30 and there was already a huge line (snaked way beyond what you see in the pic), but only a half dozen (including some guy who camped out, had a pillow and the requisite scruffy “don’t think I actually slept” look about him) of us in the separate 8am appointment line. At 7:50am the Apple Store staff let us appointments in, cheering and whooping at us. I get assigned to my own Apple Store dude who pulls up my order and my physical phone, but it won’t let him check me out. Then someone realizes it’s too early and their POS system locks out any before-8am transactions, so we all just stand around waiting and fondling the new display models (spoiler: they’re really nice).

About 7:59am, my guy starts mashing the button on his iPhone POS thing - clearly an iPhone launch day expert. At exactly 8am the manager yells “WE’RE LIVE!!!” and at the exact same time my guy’s POS transaction goes through. I’m not doing any setup in store, and had already done the iPhone Upgrade Program payment setup stuff at preorder time, so at 8:00.01 I’ve already got the phone in my hand and at 8:00.10 I’m walking out of the store, the very first one, with folks in line ogling. For my first-ever in-store launch day experience, it was awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_4856.jpeg
    IMG_4856.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4851.jpeg
    IMG_4851.jpeg
    485 KB · Views: 79

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
So for probably the first (and last) time ever in my life I was the first person in my area (Buffalo, NY) to officially buy the new iPhone.

Had an 8am pickup reservation for the 15 Pro Max at the Walden Galleria Apple Store, which was the earliest time possible. Got there at 7:30 and there was already a huge line (snaked way beyond what you see in the pic), but only a half dozen (including some guy who camped out, had a pillow and the requisite scruffy “don’t think I actually slept” look about him) of us in the separate 8am appointment line. At 7:50am the Apple Store staff let us appointments in, cheering and whooping at us. I get assigned to my own Apple Store dude who pulls up my order and my physical phone, but it won’t let him check me out. Then someone realizes it’s too early and their POS system locks out any before-8am transactions, so we all just stand around waiting and fondling the new display models (spoiler: they’re really nice).

About 7:59am, my guy starts mashing the button on his iPhone POS thing - clearly an iPhone launch day expert. At exactly 8am the manager yells “WE’RE LIVE!!!” and at the exact same time my guy’s POS transaction goes through. I’m not doing any setup in store, and had already done the iPhone Upgrade Program payment setup stuff at preorder time, so at 8:00.01 I’ve already got the phone in my hand and at 8:00.10 I’m walking out of the store, the very first one, with folks in line ogling. For my first-ever in-store launch day experience, it was awesome.
The in store pickup experience is always so much fun. I love it. 2 more minutes to go for me

dsmill

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
How does the taupe case feel to you? I canceled mine from all the negative reviews and the hideous colors. But originally I wanted taupe.
Same. I received the Taupe Fine Woven case and did not like it. I am glad I sent it back and went with the Clay Silicone case. The Taupe was 2 tone and it did not feel premium a all.

SpecB

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2021
Jamaica
I'm not sure I buy into the whole idea that restoring will cause issues from your old phone to pop up in your new phone. I absolutely HATE setting up as new so I always restore and I've never had any issues.
It won't cause issues but may take a hit in performance. It's the nature of filesystems etc. If you don't have the patience to reload & reconfig all your applications, then a restore is fine.

LeahJoFoxtrot

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2016
For a minute I was starting to get mad that my phone isn't on the truck yet but they have all day to deliver it and if they are doing all the iPhones together then I just might be lower on the list and they haven't gotten to mine yet. Hope it's on it's way before too long though.

I'm supposed to be working but I've been updating the "Did you get a new phone?" Confluence page for when members of our team get new phones. I guess its work because it's work related but its not the microservice endpoint I should be working on right now lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.