Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
Both my wife and I have missed a few texts since setting up the phones on Friday. I figure itā€™s just a carrier bug and would work itā€™s way out.

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
fyi ...trade at the store, even though I had a box sent, gave immediate rwefund on my credit card.
I think in-store trades always give an instant refund. Because they check the phone before they send it in or something like that.

Just traded my 13 Pro in to Gamestop! I got $100 extra credit over Apple but it was a hassle because I had to go to 2 stores, and the 2nd store's computer kept saying my phone wasn't eligible for trade because it couldn't be activated..I mean of course it won't activate when there's no SIM card in there! Then it knocked $60 off the trade value even though the store guys told me it was in perfect condition, after some discussion with them they were able to give me the full value. Turns out $580 is not so bad because mint condition 13 Pros are on Swappa for $630-640 which would give less than $580 just when you factor in Swappa's fee and sales tax, and that's before deducting for shipping and PayPal's fees.

Reactions: alexcue

i505

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2016
New Mexico, USA
View attachment 2279392 I want to warn people about using an Anker USB-A to USB-C cable for CarPlay. It worked, but it kept disconnecting every time the cable moved. I used my Google cable and didnā€™t have the same issues. When I took a closer look at the USB-A side, the data pins on the Anker were recessed compared to the Google cable, resulting in easier disconnects! Google is the white cable with blue plastic. You can see how the 2 pins in the middle arenā€™t visible in the black cable because theyā€™re recessed.
I haven't had any issues with my Anker cable yet with CarPlay but thank you for the heads-up!

Bo15

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Georgia
Anyone see their return kit shipping for delivery today "Sunday" from FedEx? My iPhone came via UPS on Friday just fine but then this FedEx order popes up and originally had a delivery date of yesterday "Saturday".

Dave
Yes arriving Monday

zuckuss00

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
I was just about to ask the same question about the Trade in kit. I was hoping I could just walk in the trade to AT&T like I did for the 12 Pro trade up.

jamie j.

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
update to my music update post: half of my album covers were wrong. had to delete all my music and sync it again. while the usb cable is faster than lightening cable, i was hoping it would be faster than it actually is. still a slow process. oh well. all in the name of music! (you have to understand, i'm a huge music nerd and vinyl fan. a lot of my music i recorded hi def from vinyl.)

Wxchaser

macrumors P6
Oct 28, 2017
IMG_4996.png

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Both my wife and I have missed a few texts since setting up the phones on Friday. I figure itā€™s just a carrier bug and would work itā€™s way out.
No cellular carriers have nothing to do with missing messages once they have been delivered to your device(s). Do you have iCloud back set for Messages?

Settings > top link with your Name > iCloud link > Under Apps using iCloud click >Show All to see the Message and other apps that are not in the short list.

Have you wiped your old iPhones yet?

Dave

Reactions: Surf Monkey

laffnvegas

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
Desert South West
I am waiting for my trade in box, last two years they actually arrived prior to getting the phone. In previous years the trade in box came via FedEx and the label was for UPS. My Apple account shows a generated label for UPS and my UPS shows the same but I believe it is my return label. My FedEx account does not show anything being sent to me. Sure hope it arrives soon. Would like to get this return processed.
I do not believe my Apple store will take trade-ins if I already received my phone.

Reactions: alexcue

jamie j.

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Well also the QuickStart failed or I was impatient so I did the restore from backup on macbook eventually. But someone posted this the most helpful explanation of the nuances/issues of the QuickStart method and what happens with needing the 17.02 update first on your new 15. Its not long about 15 minutes worth watching he explains it much better in fact watching it I realized it was working for me when I got back from the 17.02 update it gave me a choice of doing but I did not know it was thought the process was hung when it said connecting and the various images of my data files were shown on that spinning image I got impatient LOL

Hope this helps

ha ha. wish i would have know about this update. it took me 2 tries and then the 15 finally asked me about updating. after that, no problems. kinda feel like the iPhone should have said "update me before you start transfer." thanks, apple. i love you but...

alexcue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I am waiting for my trade in box, last two years they actually arrived prior to getting the phone. In previous years the trade in box came via FedEx and the label was for UPS. My Apple account shows a generated label for UPS and my UPS shows the same but I believe it is my return label. My FedEx account does not show anything being sent to me. Sure hope it arrives soon. Would like to get this return processed.
I do not believe my Apple store will take trade-ins if I already received my phone.
For me it was the other way around. UPS always shipped the trade in box with a Fedex Label..

now my watch trade in came by FedEx and has a FedEx return label.

UPS says Iā€™m receiving the trade n box for this years trade in tomorrow and Iā€™m sure it will have the FedEx label going back.

Reactions: laffnvegas

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
I was reading all the posts about battery life and wondering if my 15 pro was going to have issues. I was concerned as by the end of Saturday I was out of battery - 13% after 10 hours. My 13 Pro would last all day and have around 45% left. I use my phone moderately heavy with either music or an audible book playing if I am not on a call. I was seriously considering sending it back and going for the 15 Pro max just for the battery life even though I don't really like the larger size.

Today I did my usual as well as using it to monitor a video we were streaming for 2 hours. So far it has been off it's charger for 10 hours now and is showing 81% battery. I did not realize just how much background syncing was going on and how it would draw down the battery. Guess I will be keeping it - at least for a year or two.

EricExtreme

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
North Conway, New Hampshire
update to my music update post: half of my album covers were wrong. had to delete all my music and sync it again. while the usb cable is faster than lightening cable, i was hoping it would be faster than it actually is. still a slow process. oh well. all in the name of music! (you have to understand, i'm a huge music nerd and vinyl fan. a lot of my music i recorded hi def from vinyl.)
The provided USB C cable in the box with the phone is only USB C 2.0 which maxes at 480mb/ second. There are a wide variety of versions of USB C Cables out there. You would want at least a version 3.2 cable to max out the phones capabilities. What also comes into play is the USB port type on the computer. Here is a comparison.
IMG_0005.png

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
The provided USB C cable in the box with the phone is only USB C 2.0 which maxes at 480mb/ second. There are a wide variety of versions of USB C Cables out there. You would want at least a version 3.2 cable to max out the phones capabilities. What also comes into play is the USB port type on the computer. Here is a comparison.
View attachment 2279907
This is true, but in my experience with iPad Pro, sync speeds are not a constant flow but go up and down. Using 10Gb/s cables, the data transfer would sometimes grind to a halt and then go back up. I think these transfers are somewhat CPU dependent or it could be what I call the ā€œsmall file problemā€ where any file system has more trouble moving a large number of small files than a small number of large files of the same total size. I got a bigger capacity phone so trying to switch my library from AAC to lossless and the sync start time was taking forever so I gave up and decided to try again later.

zuckuss00

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
Iā€™m still slightly confused by the trade in process. I ordered through Apple.com with the promise of $830 in trade in credit from AT&T over 36 monthsā€¦

I just got my trade in kit and the box will be sent to Apple. Wouldnā€™t it be sent to AT&T if they are doing the credits?

A1423

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2023
Recently I put together an email to Craig Federighi asking for a feature that would allow us to download/export messages in a way that can be kept and for that very reason -- I have messages from a friend that passed away last year that I am afraid of losing. It would be nice to be able to save them in a format that allows you to read them from time to time.

IMazing is awesome, you can export messages into PDF format.

A1423

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2023
Thank you!! It was an iCloud backup and her 12 pro max settings match the settings that you describe up there: it is set to keep forever.

And all of the messages are on her 12 pro max.

Will check later today because there are thousands of texts. But some older texts, especially those from my stepdad who died in July are gone (this is exactly what we were trying to avoid because we desperately want to keep those memories).

The new one was updated to 17.0.2 before restoring from iCloud.

How do I enable another quickstart on the 15 pro max?

I thought I was commenting on this one when I commented above about iMazing.

Reactions: TurboCoder2022

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Iā€™m still slightly confused by the trade in process. I ordered through Apple.com with the promise of $830 in trade in credit from AT&T over 36 monthsā€¦

I just got my trade in kit and the box will be sent to Apple. Wouldnā€™t it be sent to AT&T if they are doing the credits?
If you order from Apple, your trade in goes to Apple. It doesnā€™t matter if you used a carrier deal or not.

If you purchased the Apple version of the phone at full price with monthly installments, Apple gives you an instant credit for your trade in.

If you purchase it using a carrier deal (AT&T), you need to have an eligible plan and you will receive the $830 back in the form of monthly credits over 3 years (to offset your monthly payments for the phone). The carrierā€˜s incentive is that you will need to keep the eligible plan for 3 years to receive the full credit.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Hello guys, Iā€™m at the iPhone update program. Iā€™m gonna return the iPhone because I want more storage capacity. How does that work because Iā€™m already enrolled in the program I have the 14 Pro max gold 256 GB would just return the phone to the store and then remake the purchase, but I need to have my old phone activated because Iā€™m waiting for important calls?

meetsam23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
Hello guys, Iā€™m at the iPhone update program. Iā€™m gonna return the iPhone because I want more storage capacity. How does that work because Iā€™m already enrolled in the program I have the 14 Pro max gold 256 GB would just return the phone to the store and then remake the purchase, but I need to have my old phone activated because Iā€™m waiting for important calls?
You buy the new device and choose IUP and when you get the new iphone you have 14 days to return the current device and close out the loan ā€¦

If you buy and pickup in store then you have to return the current device in store within 14 days .. if Apple ships you the device then they will also send a return box which you have to use to send back your current device and within 14 days

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.