Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

DocG1914

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
DC/MD
I went into settings for the SIM card and it's been fully ported over to the new eSIM. At least there aren't any messages to the other effect, and we got the notification from T-Mobile that it was ported over successfully. Either that, or I just don't know what I am looking at.

Is there a way to trigger an application-specific restore of all messages on iOS? Specifically: I want MESSAGES to restore the past 5+ years of texts. I know they're there, because they are backed up onto a Windows PC laptop and they're on my mom's other iPhone. So how do I get 5+ years worth of texts over to the new iPhone 15 Pro Max? A 45 day limit for all messages is not going to work for us.

It did it on my new phone without issue, got all my texts and photos, and both phone's settings are the same and have been for years.

We need them back. NOW.
If you haven’t erased the old phone yet. Make sure it’s updated (Both phones). Then factory reset the new phone. DO NOT erase the eSIM but erase everything else. This will make the set up for the new phone like new when you first opened it. Then do the phone to phone transfer. Everything from the old phone will be there will be on the new and it will still work with your current account and number.

I had to do this yesterday because iCloud is glitched for me and the iTunes backup process was glitched as well. My 15PM has everything the old one did. Hope this helps.

Reactions: StudioMacs

TurboCoder2022

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2022
If you haven’t erased the old phone yet. Make sure it’s updated (Both phones). Then factory reset the new phone. DO NOT erase the eSIM but erase everything else. This will make the set up for the new phone like new when you first opened it. Then do the phone to phone transfer. Everything from the old phone will be there will be on the new and it will still work with your current account and number.

I had to do this yesterday because iCloud is glitched for me and the iTunes backup process was glitched as well. My 15PM has everything the old one did. Hope this helps.
I have not erased the old phone yet. But I did not update the old phone before transferring the esim, because I was planning on using the iCloud transfer which, in previous years, had worked for all phones we have had no problem.

I wasn't planning on doing something like this for my mom's phone.

Am I screwed by not updating the old phone to iOS 17 before transfer?

supercoffee1025

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2023
Just wanted to check in and see if we can pinpoint who’s got the latest initial delivery date that has had things move to preparing to ship/shipped?

My delivery date still says Oct 17 and nothing’s moved but I’m sort of delusionally thinking this will go faster than expected.

Reactions: Alexrat1996

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Just wanted to check in and see if we can pinpoint who’s got the latest initial delivery date that has had things move to preparing to ship/shipped?

My delivery date still says Oct 17 and nothing’s moved but I’m sort of delusionally thinking this will go faster than expected.
If Apple stepped up their game most likely your order will go faster but I’m gonna place a brand new order after returning my phone so my delivery date won’t be till the end of October and I’m hoping to get it faster

Last edited:

DocG1914

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
DC/MD
I have not erased the old phone yet. But I did not update the old phone before transferring the esim, because I was planning on using the iCloud transfer which, in previous years, had worked for all phones we have had no problem.

I wasn't planning on doing something like this for my mom's phone.

Am I screwed by not updating the old phone to iOS 17 before transfer?
I don’t think you’re screwed but there are a few articles out there saying both phones need to have the most recent update before transferring. The iCloud didn’t work for me so I’m giving you another option.

Like I said factory reset the new phone. Update the old one then proceed with the setup like it’s a new phone and do transfer to transfer. Make sure you do t delete the eSIM when factory resetting the new phone.

Reactions: TurboCoder2022

TurboCoder2022

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2022
I don’t think you’re screwed but there are a few articles out there saying both phones need to have the most recent update before transferring. The iCloud didn’t work for me so I’m giving you another option.

Like I said factory reset the new phone. Update the old one then proceed with the setup like it’s a new phone and do transfer to transfer. Make sure you do t delete the eSIM when factory resetting the new phone.
Thank you for all your help! Will try this a bit later today.

Reactions: DocG1914

Wxchaser

macrumors P6
Oct 28, 2017
IMG_5007.png
IMG_5006.jpeg

jchiou

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
We haven't heard from @jchiou since this morning. I hope they got the phone worked out
sorry for keeping y'all hanging. it was another very long day for us yesterday and i didn't have the mental capacity to be online anymore. we went to another T-Mobile store and we asked if we could get a PHYSICAL SIM card onto the 11 and then transfer to an eSIM over on the 15.

guess what? that did it.

i'm both relieved and also still so frustrated that this took over 20 hours working with T-Mobile (customer care on the phone, T-Force, and going to two separate stores) and the fact that they kept saying it was the phone that was faulty. I get it - when you can't figure something out, it's easier to just blame something/someone else.

this also goes to show eSIM technology is still not 100% yet in the USA and getting rid of the physical SIM port was a poor decision. i'm sure it could go either way - Apple pushing the technology and forcing our hand at it or cell phone providers not up to snuff with their technology for it.

thank goodness we the 11 had a physical SIM slot...i truly don't even want to think about going eSIM to eSIM in the future b/c that's what started this mess in the first place. maybe we won't upgrade for a while o_O

i want to thank everyone that helped, offered support/suggestions, and mainly commiserated with me. it was nice not feeling alone and having a community that cared. thank you again and i hope everyone is enjoying their new iPhones and for those who haven't gotten it yet, i hope delivery goes smoothly!

agumartinezsosa

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2023
Hi!

Im going to miami from october 22 to october 28, and im planning to buy an iphone 15 pro, cause its much cheaper than in my country. Do you think that it will be available to buy it directly at the store by then?

Sorry for my english, its not my language hehe

TurboCoder2022

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2022
By the way, one more question - is it possible to still update the old phone? I've already completed the conversion to esim on the new one, so no services are assigned. Is being connected to wifi enough?

Reactions: Pipper99

rjjacobson

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2014
That is excellent video about the alternatives for P2P and restoring from backups available and how to do each as well as issues with having latest iOS it seems to cover about everything and most issues and questions. Worth watching everyone

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
By the way, one more question - is it possible to still update the old phone? I've already completed the conversion to esim on the new one, so no services are assigned. Is being connected to wifi enough?
It’s just like a small an iPad now. They update fine without cellular.

It will still receive email and messages over WiFi.

Reactions: Appleseed18

rjjacobson

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2014
sorry for keeping y'all hanging. it was another very long day for us yesterday and i didn't have the mental capacity to be online anymore. we went to another T-Mobile store and we asked if we could get a PHYSICAL SIM card onto the 11 and then transfer to an eSIM over on the 15.

guess what? that did it.

i'm both relieved and also still so frustrated that this took over 20 hours working with T-Mobile (customer care on the phone, T-Force, and going to two separate stores) and the fact that they kept saying it was the phone that was faulty. I get it - when you can't figure something out, it's easier to just blame something/someone else.

this also goes to show eSIM technology is still not 100% yet in the USA and getting rid of the physical SIM port was a poor decision. i'm sure it could go either way - Apple pushing the technology and forcing our hand at it or cell phone providers not up to snuff with their technology for it.

thank goodness we the 11 had a physical SIM slot...i truly don't even want to think about going eSIM to eSIM in the future b/c that's what started this mess in the first place. maybe we won't upgrade for a while o_O

i want to thank everyone that helped, offered support/suggestions, and mainly commiserated with me. it was nice not feeling alone and having a community that cared. thank you again and i hope everyone is enjoying their new iPhones and for those who haven't gotten it yet, i hope delivery goes smoothly!
Thanks @jchiou for letting us know I remember the time of the switch from physcial SIM to eSIM was a problem for many back then with 11 to 12. I did not have problems with AT&T back then and have been on eSIM for couple years now. It does appear most (not all issues) in the SIM and activation are related from the posts I have seen (and I am not an expert by any means on this). Your post may of great help to others here. Glad you got it to work

Xoterin

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
via iPhone 8 Plus

As far as I know, all Oct 2 and Oct 4 - 9 moved up.

mizzourah

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
St. Louis, MO

guess what? that did it.

Really glad you found something that worked - there were a lot of us trying to brainstorm and we were going to check in today - this is good news - glad it worked out.

LongBall14

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2023
My delivery date is November 7 - 14. Based on what I’m seeing, I feel like mine might change to Oct 30 - November 6. A week earlier. I hope Apple over delivers. Like Supercoffee said, no idea what to expect while waiting. This is the first time I’ve ordered an iPhone and actually going to wait for it. Usually I’m hawking the online store and looking for availability at my nearest Apple Store and cancelling my online order.

x86dude

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2017
Aus
Apple does not seem to want my money.

I want to pick up (iPhone 15 Pro) in store rather than risk delivery problems. But the (Apple Store) app wont accept the order due to unavailability. I am happy to wait. Is this usual ? Advice welcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.