Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dad0118

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
JOD is a loss leader for them in this age of insanely expensive hardware. I wonder when they’ll get rid of the program. They have definitely been more aggressive in pushing the EIP route. I’d also not be surprised to see them
starting to tack on an interest charge to those plans at some point.

This is how they’ll get rid of the program. Increasing down payments each year making it less attractive for people to use it...

md1801

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
St. Louis, MO
I think it would be hard for them to get rid of JOD, from what I remember they were gonna make changes a few years ago and we got an email about it even and they aborted those changes. Too many customers would complain, so by doing what they are instead by forcing high downpayment, it's a way to weed out customers and discourage from program. If they were to just get rid of it, what would you do with those customers on it, you can't exactly just switch them to EIP or force them to pay off their device.

I think you’re on the right track here. While they can’t contractually change things for existing JOD folks, they can absolutely do what you’re suggesting which is make it increasingly unpalatable for us to use JOD, achieving their desired result without the bad PR of shutting down the program. Then, when enough people have made the change, it won’t be as big a deal to axe a program that isn’t being used—-even if that’s only the case because they changed it from how it used to be.

nateatlarge

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Washington State
JOD is a loss leader for them in this age of insanely expensive hardware. I wonder when they’ll get rid of the program. They have definitely been more aggressive in pushing the EIP route. I’d also not be surprised to see them
starting to tack on an interest charge to those plans at some point.

I have thought that as well. They already started adding taxes on. Just a matter of time

md1801

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
St. Louis, MO
I have thought that as well. They already started adding taxes on. Just a matter of time

The tax thing is one thing they have no control over. That’s a state by state and city by city deal. Taxes are assessed in most jurisdictions on lease payments (and some in advance on the leased amount or even the full retail price) for just about anything. That’s not new or different. If there’s a problem there, you’ll have to take it up with your assigned congresscritters.

formerpc

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
Called T-Mobile at 5:15, got right through to a rep and ordered my Green 256GB 11 Pro Max in less than 10 minutes. Seriously the easiest iPhone pre-order I’ve ever had. I love Jump On Demand, too. :D

Should have it on Friday. :)

0neinam1llie

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2019
Mars
Called T-Mobile at 5:15, got right through to a rep and ordered my Green 256GB 11 Pro Max in less than 10 minutes. Seriously the easiest iPhone pre-order I’ve ever had.

Should have it on Friday. :)

what date does it shows on your order that it will ship

AppleChic76

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
C9AB299F-B325-4335-973A-CE27EF45F4BE.jpeg
18F53607-CF57-4319-9B2A-E59B063E7E4A.jpeg
Two things:

Here I am complaining about price when I’m not paying that much more than I did last year. Lol.

Shipping, though. Last year I got my phone on launch day but I note last year’s shipping was “Overnight” and this year is “Express.” I didn’t pay for either and I certainly won’t die if I don’t get my phone on launch day, but weird that I just got whatever was standard and free both times but this time it’s not Overnight.

John90976

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2015
SoCal
Got in at 4:55. Have good credit, 6yr standing with T-mo and got the ultimate experience ordering the X back in 2017: Call em up, tell em what I want, sign some online docs, paid nothing, and got my phone. This experience was similar but they only allowed $0 down for the 11 64gb or 11 128gb. The 11 Pro still required the $118 + tax even if you are well qualified, which is a bit sucky because it just feels like we're back at in the old contract days of a $199 starting price to get into the new, best iPhone. Not too excited this year but wanted to give my X to a family member so I settled for a 128GB Black 11 until next years redesign, paid nothing, not even taxes. Then bought a Series 5 aluminum and that was only $62 down. Pretty cheap morning for getting some of the nicest stuff available.
[doublepost=1568383749][/doublepost]addendum: I see some saying "Why care about a hefty down, it reduces your monthly cost?" It's easier to pay a few dollars more a month than $200 down all at once. It's also just more pleasurable to order what you want and not have to worry about payment until bill time. Perhaps it sounds irresponsible. I think poor and rich alike should have a smooth iPhone buying process, whether you're buying all at once or over a year or two. Apple gets that, if your credit is good enough.

4sallypat

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
No they didn't!
Guess JOD members don't get charged to call in.
T-Mobile told me yesterday if I called in, I would be charged an extra $20 - because I wanted to use the EIP.
They said to go online and order which is what I did and no surprises - no web errors - just easy 2 minutes to get into a new iPhone 11 with $350 trade in on my old iPhone 7.

Dr99

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
JOD seems great. This regular "promo" they are pushing is pretty sad. Basically, they are giving you a monthly credit for the trade value. The save up to 50% is very misleading.

AppleChic76

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
Guess JOD members don't get charged to call in.
T-Mobile told me yesterday if I called in, I would be charged an extra $20 - because I wanted to use the EIP.
They said to go online and order which is what I did and no surprises - no web errors - just easy 2 minutes to get into a new iPhone 11 with $350 trade in on my old iPhone 7.

If I wasn’t JOD I wouldn’t have to call every year. Lol. I’d much prefer online/app ordering.

SJDG

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
Tmobiles website is the worst

Been trying to get my order in since 8am EST amd the site just keeps crashing when im entering my CC information

Tried 5 different browsers,same result

Tried upgrading through the app and its telling me to contact the primary account holder even though i am the primary account holder

Bout to just say f*ck it and keep my 7+

Carlos22Dayday

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2011
View attachment 858000 View attachment 857999 Two things:

Here I am complaining about price when I’m not paying that much more than I did last year. Lol.

Shipping, though. Last year I got my phone on launch day but I note last year’s shipping was “Overnight” and this year is “Express.” I didn’t pay for either and I certainly won’t die if I don’t get my phone on launch day, but weird that I just got whatever was standard and free both times but this time it’s not Overnight.
I got express shipping as well. I talked to a top executive at T Mobile named Art Lucero. That is the same as 2nd day air and it should arrive by launch day delivery. Depending on inventory of course.

Reactions: AppleChic76

DADDYDC650

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015

Been trying to get my order in since 8am EST amd the site just keeps crashing when im entering my CC information

Tried upgrading through the app and its telling me to contact the primary account holder even though i am the primary account holder

LoL. Pick up a phone bud.

Reactions: md1801

Jaedre

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2018
Providence RI
JOD seems great. This regular "promo" they are pushing is pretty sad. Basically, they are giving you a monthly credit for the trade value. The save up to 50% is very misleading.

How is it misleading if they are giving you 50% of the phone in credits? Phone is 700 you get 350 in credits sounds like 50% to me

Reactions: ohaishawnn

AppleChic76

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
is it possible to roll in the down payment into the monthly payments?
Only if you order through Apple. LOL
[doublepost=1568387240][/doublepost]

You should try calling! Of course it might take a bit longer now, but when I called at 5 PDT, I was off the phone in about 15 minutes. And that was with their computers giving the rep a bit of the blues.
[doublepost=1568387306][/doublepost]
I got express shipping as well. I talked to a top executive at T Mobile named Art Lucero. That is the same as 2nd day air and it should arrive by launch day delivery. Depending on inventory of course.
Oh Art is the real deal! If he said it I believe it. I’ve emailed/talked with him quite a bit in the past. Lol

Reactions: Carlos22Dayday

fatalogic

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016

Maybe try the app too. I tried it at 8 est. and had the phone order complete by 8:02. Shipping by 9/20.

vidjahgamz

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ordered the following:

(1) iPhone 11 128 GB - Purple | $0 Down
(1) iPhone 11 128 GB - (PRODUCT) Red | $0 Down

The Purple was ordered at 8:15 AM EST and the (PRODUCT) Red was ordered at 8:20 AM EST. Both have Express shipping with an estimated ship date of 9/20.

I'm expecting them to be delivered on launch day like they are every year. I did not see the point in paying the extra $20 for overnight shipping as in previous years I got 2-day shipping and they arrived on launch day without issue.

Reactions: haileyscomet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.