Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will the iPhone 8 (and future iOS devices) abandon Lightning in favour of USB C?

• Yes

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 36 78.3%

• Total voters

Koudspeel

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
The dimensions of the USB-C port are much bigger than the lightning port. It won't fit on the current iPhone let alone the new even thinner iPhone 8..

Squirreladd

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2016
I think the lightning port will go in a few years and be replaced with

nothing!
#AllWireless

Not ever going to happen. The lightning port and before that the 30pin had a purpose not many people realized. The wired port allows for debugging and the ability to access the device when it is not responsive. Apple's programing is good but no where close to a level to say that all devices will not have any critical failures.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Not ever going to happen. The lightning port and before that the 30pin had a purpose not many people realized. The wired port allows for debugging and the ability to access the device when it is not responsive. Apple's programing is good but no where close to a level to say that all devices will not have any critical failures.

Hi
Access will be available via sim tray for your examples
IMHO

Squirreladd

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2016
Hi
Access will be available via sim tray for your examples
IMHO
I guess that would work but it kind of defeats the purpose. Still need a wire and they would have to ship it with the device so people can restore at home.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
It when they switch to embedded SIM cards.

Hi
yep I thought the same but I think they will change to a 'hidden port' with embedded sims
just like apple watch-
IMG_0811.JPG

Last edited:

Squirreladd

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2016
Hi
yep I thought the same but I think they will change to a 'hidden port' with embedded sims
just like apple watch-
View attachment 676701

At that point you are creating more work for your engineers for nothing. The phone needs a physical data connection. Why reinvent the wheel when you have lightning or USB C.

Also does anyone else get erie feeling a format war is just over the horizon? USB-c vs Lighting vs Bluetooth for audio? I personally USB-C to win. Apple already supports it.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
At that point you are creating more work for your engineers for nothing. The phone needs a physical data connection. Why reinvent the wheel when you have lightning or USB C.

Also does anyone else get erie feeling a format war is just over the horizon? USB-c vs Lighting vs Bluetooth for audio? I personally USB-C to win. Apple already supports it.

Hi
I really dont think the iPhone will have any ports in 5 years time. But as you say a port is needed so I think it will be hidden.

I hope bluetooth is better by then and bluetooth earphones have a weeks worth of battery with a lower price for excellent quality.

I think the format wars have started already but as I say IMHO the end result will be 100% wireless sans ports by ALL manufacturers.

just my feeling.

wwohl

macrumors regular
May 2, 2013
Look, a USB cable has _two_ ends. One end that plugs in the Mac or the charger, one end that plugs into the phone. Having a USB-C connector on the Mac is no reason whatsoever to have a USB connector on the phone. USB-C on the Mac has certain advantages that USB-C on the iPhone doesn't have.
Part of the design of the USB C connector is that its small enough for mobile devices and capable enough for serious throughput.. Meaning that USB C could live on either end of the cable.

USB C (the theoretical perfect connector) should be connectible whichever end and orientation you apply the cable... Thats the thought anyway..

Is it necessary, no... But thats the idea---the end goal

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Highly unlikely, but I wish. I can't count how many lighting cables I've replaced. At least Apple stores replace the originals for free. Haven't had any issues with USB-C.

Reactions: deany

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Yep, apple really need to look at the very Poor quality control of cables if the lightning FREE in the box for the £700 iPhone is the bench mark
The cable is Poor, with a capitol P
#frays

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I for one am very happy with the Lightning port and hope Apple stays the course.

There is no real benefit to switching and much to lose.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I for one am very happy with the Lightning port and hope Apple stays the course.

There is no real benefit to switching and much to lose.
I think it will be 100% wireless in the near future with a hidden port for de-bugging AKA apple watch.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I think it will be 100% wireless in the near future with a hidden port for de-bugging AKA apple watch.

Wireless charging I know is coming...but to tell you the truth, I may still 'cable up'.

Plenty of times that I use my iPhone while charging so wireless charging may not work best for me.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Wireless charging I know is coming...but to tell you the truth, I may still 'cable up'.

Plenty of times that I use my iPhone while charging so wireless charging may not work best for me.
I'm the same lightning cables in every room, car and backup chargers 'banks' with 7 or 8 charges.

Wireless will hopefully will be available in house, Office and car with maybe a backup wireless charger 'bank' for Camping trips and music festivals etc
I think apple will cover all eventualities, fingers crossed.

scarrab666

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
Sydney
The dimensions of the USB-C port are much bigger than the lightning port. It won't fit on the current iPhone let alone the new even thinner iPhone 8..
This is a good point!
[doublepost=1481678244][/doublepost]Thanks for all the input on this everyone! Looks like the consensus so far is that Lightning is here to stay for a while, but USB C would be more uniform to the wider 'Smart Phone' community, No?

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
This is a good point!
[doublepost=1481678244][/doublepost]Thanks for all the input on this everyone! Looks like the consensus so far is that Lightning is here to stay for a while, but USB C would be more uniform to the wider 'Smart Phone' community, No?
IMHO it will all be wireless with a hidden port for debugging - within a few years.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
There'd better be USB-C on the upcoming iPhone (iPhone 8?), or I will not purchase it. And I think many people are in the same boat as me. We want standard connectors because they make everyone's lives easier. So if there are any Apple employees who read these forums (I know you do!) then please let Tim and everyone else know that USB-C needs to replace Lightning if we're going to move forward with technology at Apple.

Reactions: Kcetech1

DragonPrime120

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
I'm seriously doubting that this post will affect Apple's decision for the connector on the next iPhone for a variety of reasons. First, I doubt any Apple employee that would potentially be reading this post has a direct line to Tim Cook. Second, I don't think Tim personally designs iPhones. Third, I doubt that the connector would be changed a mere 4 months from release. Finally, I don't believe your single purchase has much impact on the decision. It's nice to have a dream, and maybe the next iPhone will feature USB-C, but Lightning is still a relatively new connector to the masses, and the capabilities of USB-C would be limited with current iOS anyway.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There'd better be USB-C on the upcoming iPhone (iPhone 8?), or I will not purchase it. And I think many people are in the same boat as me. We want standard connectors because they make everyone's lives easier. So if there are any Apple employees who read these forums (I know you do!) then please let Tim and everyone else know that USB-C needs to replace Lightning if we're going to move forward with technology at Apple.
I'm thinking that many more people are not in the same boat. I'm also thinking that this year's iPhone design has been in place for at least a little while, so whatever it has at this point is what it will have when it comes out.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I can guarantee you that lightening connector will be used in iPhone 8. Why I know? Beats JUST updated their wireless headphones to change via lightening connectors. There is no ways Apple would do that if the lightening connector is being phased out imminently.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
I highly doubt that it will have a USB-C connector. They will stay with their proprietary Lightning connector. Otherwise the jump to earphones with a Lightning plug in each iPhone package would make absolutely no sense, at least for only one year.

Personally I don't have any USB-C connected devices at the time. Wireless is better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.