Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
No no, it doesn't work that way. If the Touch ID is replaced, the phone will continue working and the button continues to function like a Home button. The user can still use the phone and unlock using the pin code. Fingerprint scan is disabled tho.

Only after a firmware update does the system prompt an error 53. Which doesn't make sense if the phone is still usable prior to updating after the repair.
So before the update:
Replace button still works
After update:
Button doesn't work

Looks like they added something in the update to break it. Which means they did it on purpose. To stop tampering.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Dropping phone, discharging battery, liquid damage is outside of Apple's control. Intentional bricking with iOS update is not.
Again, did you read my second paragraph? While it may stink I can understand why Apple does this as it sounds like they are in a no-win situation from unauthorized modifications according to the article.

dark_knight177

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
This is not about making iPhone more secure, this is just a BLATANT money grab by Apple to milk the customers even more by making them use authorized repairs.

The reason this is NOT about security is because the iPhones CONTINUE To work after the unauthorized modification, but only stop working after the update. If it was about the security, Apple would brick the device immediately following the unauthorized repair, not after the fact.

It's like installing a huge metal vault in the bank after the robbery took place, what's the point? The damage has already been done.

If any person maliciously modified the touch ID and tried to hack it, he would have stolen the data by now, long before the update which bricked it.

ederh

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2016
My 6 Plus went Error 53 in January as I tried to upgrade to IOS 9.2.1 from, I guess, 9.2.0. The upgrade failed, then it said I needed to do a factory reset which I did, but that resulted in Error 53.

I had never done any work on the phone - no touch ID (or any other) repairs.

At the Apple Store I said "error 53" and they said "ok, let's verify that". They got the same result & said "you need a new phone". Since I didn't have AppleCare, they sold me a new phone for $329.

View attachment 614417
MAN!!! this is just crazy, what happened to you, happened to me exactly the same!! i live in cancun, but hell no im going to pay for something that they screwed up, this sounds like a bad move from apple, in a way that they say,
"oops! sorry friend, its our mistake but as you don't have warranty we cannot help you, but HEY!! here´s a new one for half a price!!"
**** THAT ****!!! I've been an apple boy since always but this seems like some ****ed up play by apple!
Anywhore, lets see up to where this scales.

Reactions: sososowhat

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Apparently not. His phone was working after the repair. Apple chose to brick it after an update. Was the owner made aware of those consequences prior to the repair?

It is up to the repair shop to make you aware of this. After reading this story I called the 3rd party repair shop that fixed the screen on an iPhone 5s. I assumed that the screen and the button are changed together. He told me that had he changed the home button he would have told me that I will get the error 53 message. He tells all his customers that and leaves it up to them to decide whether to go with his services or Apples'.

There are many third party repair shops that should not touch an iPhone and there are many good ones that know what they are doing. I went to a good one who even offered me a 60 day warranty on the repair.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
If you really believe a thief is going to:
1 - steal your phone,
2 - replace the home button with his own special button with some kind of trojan piece of unheard-of-software and then,
3- return the phone to you and then somehow get your data later or something...
if you believe that, I have a bridge for sale, real cheap....

Apple will be forced to back down on this one, because it affects consumer rights.

Remember the iCloud photos celebrity hacking scandal?

Now imagine even with all the extra security those celebs were supposed to use in the first place (like having a password stronger than password, etc) JLaw or any other celebrity lost her iPhone. Imagine a hack following her around and now with unfet access to her phone can take it somewhere and actually have it broken open by a dodgy Touch ID replacing contact. Imagine how much THOSE photos would be worth.

In fact it wouldn't just be photos. It would be text messages. Emails. That persons entire private life.

Or imagine the state could do the same thing and break into your supposedly secure phone. Where's your right to privacy gone? Human rights trumps consumer rights.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Makes perfect sense

Apple should brick it.... it was done by an non-Apple repairer at an Apple store, since the third party should of told the user about the validating of Touch ID for securiy.....could not be done... and Apple could not know. I guess Apple thinks that "how can we force the user in the store" "lets brick the phone when such issue happens with an update if Touch ID was not validated"

Kind of restricts you them to repair only at an Apple store with Touch ID being an issue, but that's how it is... Apple's not gonna give this pairing method to third parties.. who knows what they will do with it and our security as we know will be lost.

Reactions: nj1266

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This is not about making iPhone more secure, this is just a BLATANT money grab by Apple to milk the customers even more by making them use authorized repairs.

The reason this is NOT about security is because the iPhones CONTINUE To work after the unauthorized modification, but only stop working after the update. If it was about the security, Apple would brick the device immediately following the unauthorized repair, not after the fact.

It's like installing a huge metal vault in the bank after the robbery took place, what's the point? The damage has already been done.

If any person maliciously modified the touch ID and tried to hack it, he would have stolen the data by now, long before the update which bricked it.
Like other updates this one is part of iOS 9. Apple made this assessment based on information you clearly don't have.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
So before the update:
Replace button still works
After update:
Button doesn't work

Looks like they added something in the update to break it. Which means they did it on purpose. To stop tampering.

If you read into the story, it's been reported back to ios 8.3. So they didn't "add anything" in this update that wasn't already in the last... 5 or 6 is it?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
The way see it, if modification was done, how can Apple know about it if it wasn't done by them.... to protect the customer they brick the phone if they try to update iOS.

Why would u wanna sacrifice something a third party who is not Apple ? For all u know they could have done something else.... them user would complain, some app got my fingerprint after this "repair which was not Apple"

It IS about security because the phone got bricked after the update..... Solution: either contact Apple, or don't upgrade your iphone. can't get easier than that. User may not be running latest iOS, and have issues with apps/development etc or whatever, but at least he has a phone that still works

Not Apple's fault.. They are protecting themselves because they don't know what's been done to impact security with an repair by third party.

Reactions: citysnaps

Muzzakus

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Seems to me under this circumstance Apple should clear the fingerprint data and request user to reauthenticate. Touch ID is an optional feature, and not the other way around.

Reactions: Demo Kit

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Well, considering the error code and lock out happens when a third party screen is fitted, I call utter BS on this being ANYTHING to do with security and everything to do with increasing Apples ever bloated bottom line.

And tell me, IS this in the license agreement for iOS9?
Sure you can block device, but they should should not then simply state tough s*** you have now lost all your date and your phone is permanently locked and we will not unlock it so buy a new one!
That is utterly unacceptable. They should have in place a method to reverse the lock.

Not force you to buy a new phone:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/20...e-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

They carried on using the phone, but when they tried to install iOS 9 in November “error 53” popped up. “The error hasn’t occurred because I broke my phone (it was working fine for 10 months). I lost all my data because of this error. I don’t want Apple to fix my screen or anything! I just want them to fix the ‘error 53’ so I can use my phone, but they won’t!”

Stop saying changing the screen causes this. That is a blatant distortion. Changing the Touch ID causes this to happen when the iOS is updated because the Touch ID has to resync with the secure enclave on the iPhone. This is when a difference between the non-oem Touch ID and the secure enclave is noted and the error 53 is triggered.

Go back and read the story at the first page and not the quote by some random user who does not know what was changed. I assumed that both are changed together but that is not the case. I was corrected by the repair shop that fixed an iPhone 5s screen for me.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Seems to me under this circumstance Apple should clear the fingerprint data and request user to reauthenticate. Touch ID is an optional feature, and not the other way around.

u'r correct on this... they should, perhaps on power on, but then its probably something Apple can do for "security" reasons. Quite frankly, i dunno how it can be a valid reason IF its a bricked device already... the phone is busted, how can u access it ?

Apple has strange ways of looking at problems.

Last edited:

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
This is Apple telling us not to venture out of their ecosystem. In this case, if you try it your phone will be bricked. Imagine if you had to use genuine GM parts to repair your car or else your care is bricked. This scares the **** out of me.
Precisely

When one buys into Apple's locked down restricted world they own us.

It's as simple as that, they get all the money and all the control.

Reactions: Demo Kit

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
You would then need prove Apple intetionally lock customer in their repaire service. Which is very hard to do. All Apple need to do is counter your argument by saying it is to protect user's privacy.

Not if it was being done on mass though. As I said if replacing the screen causes the lock out as has been claimed and that's without changing the Touch ID sensor.

Stop saying changing the screen causes this. That is a blatant distortion. Changing the Touch ID causes this to happen when the iOS is updated because the Touch ID has to resync with the secure enclave on the iPhone. This is when a difference between the non-oem Touch ID and the secure enclave is noted and the error 53 is triggered.

Go back and read the story at the first page and not the quote by some random user who does not know what was changed. I assumed that both are changed together but that is not the case. I was corrected by the repair shop that fixed an iPhone 5s screen for me.

No distortion at all, you need to carefully read what I posted, you need to read what ifixit and the original story state, even the quote by Apple included in this story states the screen being replaced. I'll go by what they have stated as the newspaper story has been made based on them and their experiences and thus this entire thread and article are also based on 'some random user'.

Reactions: Dave.UK

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Again, did you read my second paragraph? While it may stink I can understand why Apple does this as it sounds like they are in a no-win situation from unauthorized modifications according to the article.

You asked if I read your first paragraph in a prior post? I read the entire post.

Is the device in question sold as iPhone or iBank?

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I am sure if I replace figureprint sensor on Nexus 6P, I will not brick that phone.

Admit it, Apple just want your money

I am Apple just want my money.

I am also sure if you replace your fingerprint señor on 6P, your information is insecure.

Andrei90

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
I used to live in a city in China where there is no Apple Store and no Apple authorized repair dealer. We brought our phone from local carrier or through Taobao or Tianmao.

If TouchID fails, I have to take bus and wasting entire day to nearest authorized retailer in other city. Tell me now, how am I not gonna upset when Apple do this.

Now I am living in Canada, I may not have problems with finding Apple Store in my city, but for people where there is no Apple Store or Apple authorized retailer, how are they going to repair their iPhone?

Don't assume Apple store and Apple authorized reseller are everywhere
Aren't you able to send it via mail???
[doublepost=1454735968][/doublepost]
Honestly this practice by them makes no sense. The secure enclave doesn't transmit your fingerprint back to the scanner. That means it cannot be retrieved by changing the TouchID.

And since you require sending your print to the Secure Enclave through the Touch ID sensor the fingerprint is itself verified as a match inside the Enclave and not on the Touch ID scanner.

So this begs the question why link the two at all? Doesn't really make any sense. The Secure Enclave performs all the security functions the Touch ID is just a basic finger reader. It's akin to a CCTV camera on a building, all the magic happens in the box the CCTV camera is plugged into.
Im gonna go ahead and say Apple knows better than you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.