Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jweinraub

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Sol III
This is actually a good thing. However, people will still be mad.
Why? The finger print sensor doesn't store the fingerprint data as it is on another chip encrypted and it is just a numerical representation that is not possible to actually get the actual fingerprint. This is a load of rubbish on Apples part and this is only tip of iceberg.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Why can't the fingerprint authentication just be disabled on the software side and allow the user to proceed with their pass code instead? Bricking it entirely seems a bit excessive?

Although apple does hate third parties touching their hardware and seem to go out of their way to prevent it, even when it has nothing to do with security, like ram

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Actually, that's a good sign of how deep Apple's security focus is. I never thought about it, but if you replace the screen you can theoretically see everything on the screen. By making sure the screen is "authorized" Apple is preventing third parties (hello intelligence agencies) from theoretically doing a MTM on the hardware.

Reactions: centauratlas

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Why can't the fingerprint authentication just be disabled on the software side and allow the user to proceed with their pass code instead? Bricking it entirely seems a bit excessive?
They can't separate the functions. would you want to use a phone where the phone can send your info to somebody else just because you used a cheap knock offs part

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
...but how about just disabling Touch ID instead of bricking the whole phone, forcing people to buy a new one? Why can't Apple just replace Touch ID again to make the existing phone work?

Because Apple doesn't know what every situation is. They'd rather play it safe than sorry, and I can't blame them. How do they know it's a phone being sent in for 3rd party repairs vs a phone that was stolen and is being tampered with? This is to prevent ID theft and a whole host of other thefts. So unless it's done correctly, the phone is bricked.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
My 6 Plus went Error 53 in January as I tried to upgrade to IOS 9.2.1 from, I guess, 9.2.0. The upgrade failed, then it said I needed to do a factory reset which I did, but that resulted in Error 53.

I had never done any work on the phone - no touch ID (or any other) repairs.

Are you in a position where someone may have compromised your phone for some reason? Have you visited any foreign countries or are doing anything that anyone may be interested in?

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
#Repairgate

Ooh please. Been waiting for someone to get mine fixed :p

5977593928_81e39220f4_b.jpg

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
My 6 Plus went Error 53 in January as I tried to upgrade to IOS 9.2.1 from, I guess, 9.2.0. The upgrade failed, then it said I needed to do a factory reset which I did, but that resulted in Error 53.

I had never done any work on the phone - no touch ID (or any other) repairs.

At the Apple Store I said "error 53" and they said "ok, let's verify that". They got the same result & said "you need a new phone". Since I didn't have AppleCare, they sold me a new phone for $329.

Thanks for that, always nice to get a first hand experience vs. shooting from the lip.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Well if I replace the door locking system on my car, and get it done at a non-honda garage, it doesn't stop the car from being usable..... so No, you're not :rolleyes:
i didnt know ur car saves ready to use digital information on ur email, biometrics, frequent places, credit card, finger prints etc. you must be using the next generation honda-tesla (or samsungs copy of tesla) :p

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I'd expect insurance premiums for iPhones to go through the roof now, as the 3rd party refurbished iPhone market (which insurance companies rely on to remain profitable) will be destroyed by moves like this.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
i didnt know ur car saves ready to use digital information on ur email, biometrics, frequent places, credit card, finger prints etc. you must be using the next generation tesla (or samsungs copy of tesla) :p

Whats that got to do with it?

The principle of unlocking something with your key, or your thumb are exactly the same, regardless of what the different things actually do. ;)

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Why?

If my iPhone is out of warranty, then I should be able to have it repaired by who ever I want.

I can see why it might be a good thing to avoid circumventing the security on stolen phones, but from a user standpoint who wants a repair, apple repairs aren't exactly the cheapest, or in the UK and other countries where apple stores are only in big cities, its a pain in the rear not being able to take it to a local phone shop.

You can always leave your finger with whoever repairs your phone.

Just thinking outside the box!

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany

The principle of unlocking something with your key, or your thumb are exactly the same, regardless of what the different things actually do. ;)
lol... the trouble is, it contains much more valuable info and one break-n in touch id will destroy the entire apple pay and security system. i dont blame apple on this. but they should simply have disabled the touch id and wipe off any sensitive data. instead of disabling the entire phone.

Reactions: vmistery

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
They have the functions separated otherwise ios9 would not work on non touchid devices
Not really. All they have to do is have separate code for iPhone 6 and below and only update the iOS with the release for the actual device. In other words you iPhone 6 might not have software that even recognizes a IPhon 5s it's how IOS 9 works. They will not prove

every dambed thing. Unless you are happy with a third party sending every single thing on your phone including every single credit card, your fingerprint and all your info to them so they can spend all of your money, steal your identity and do what every they want to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.