Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Why is this even a story? Apple should not be held responsible for any bad thing that happens to your iPhone if you installed a non-genuine Apple component. It's a risk you take if you went to a third party who uses third party parts.

RedWing512

macrumors regular
May 14, 2014
They probably do but it also shows that Google has no concern for security.

Maybe. But that's just speculation on your part. It's always possible that they may have it set up where it still secures your info despite using a 3rd-party replacement.

Remember, Google's services had two-factor ID WAY BEFORE iCloud.

Reactions: SusanK

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
I understand the paranoia, but I think the emphasis here is misplaced. If someone wanted to inject malicious firmware-level code into your phone, they would do so through one of those public USB charging stations, or a cheap USB AC-adapter. A lot more can be done though USB. I don't mean to deflect just for the sake of deflecting, the idea of a compromised touch-id unit is just so silly - it's like worrying about the possibility of someone pushing in poison gas through your dryer-vent while you leave the front door wide open for anyone to talk in.

I can't imagine anyone selling compromised touch-id sensors for this purpose for a number of reasons. First, the touch-id assembly is tiny, there is really not much room on there for additional ICs. Second, the interface is totally proprietary and unknown.

If you're worried about security, I would suggest being paranoid about USB chargers and public charging stations, where it has already been demonstrated that those can inject malicious code into iOS devices.

I was thinking along the line of the government(who currently wants apple to add a back door) having a system where they could have someones fingerprint digitally, plugging in a computer and sending the finger print signal to the phone through the existing fingerprint scanner port. It is currently possible to make a fake fingerprint made
. but it takes a while and the system locks out after 24 hours. The government could make a system that would allow them to plug in their system, send the emulated signal. and unlock it quickly. I know this sound like paranoia, and its not something I would worry about, but it is something that Apple should worry about, and stay ahead of the curve.

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
Its more than just getting an Apple Authorized replacement fingerprint scanner. There is most likely a process that the new part will need to be registered with the phone, and I am sure that even if you could get your hands on a legit part the process of authorizing it would be under Apple's control only.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Maybe you should try and understand how the touch ID technology works before you make asinine comments like this... The Touch ID sensor is paired with the main board in the phone. It's all about security. I am glad knowing that my home button cannot be replaced by a 3rd party component, That home button is tied to my Apple Pay account, used to verify when I purchase apps, books, music, etc. Imagine a 3rd party touch sensor that "skims" your ID and gives a malicious user full access to credit cards, etc. Apple, as of right now is one of the only consumer technology companies that gives a **** about privacy and security.

I don't give a crap about how Apple think about security. It is my phone and if the home button gives, I will choose who fix my phone. I ain't let Apple rip me off by charging 100 or more for a crappy home button.

Second, there is no reason to assume that third party will put hacked home button to my phone. And I don't need Apple to baby my security. There is no reason for brick the entire freaking phone just because I replaced the crappy home button. Fine, if you think TouchID is important for security issue, then just disable the stupid TouchID and Apple Pay. As least let user do most basic things.

If Apple can brick my phone by software updates because I replaced the home button by myself. Apple can brick my phone if I change the battery by myself. If I changed the screen by myself. Apple can have 1000 reasons to do that and Apple has the incentive to do so.

I am avoid get into Apple's ecosystem too deeply and I ain't paying any apps if I do not need, just because I ain't going to lock myself into Apple's ecosystem and play along with Apple's rule.

For starters I have NEVER had the home button of any iPhone fail. 3G, 4S and now 6S Plus
Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I would NEVER think of having my Apple home button be repaired by anybody but Apple (genius bar or mail it in)

You are barking up the wrong tree with this assumption.

Apple is doing exactly what it should do here. Protecting the iPhones security feature.

You don't have home button broken on you does not mean it won't happen. I had iPhone 4S and iPad 3 home button fails. It is physical button, it will break sometime. When it happens, Apple will charge you crap load of money.

I ain't paying Apple for that. This is why I am using Android, if something break, I will fix myself or let someone else fix. Not paying Apple single dime.

Last edited:

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
And a replacement key for a car like that is extremely expensive and will not function properly unless it's replace with an OEM part from that particular manufacturer.

Ain't that the truth - I recently bought a van second hand that only came with one key and the additional key I then bought for it was a main dealer part only (see Apple / Authorised Repairers) and cost £46 to be cut.... if I only wanted to use it to open the doors (it's on older van, so manual door locks and not even central locking).

To get it the new key to work in the ignition and disable the immobiliser it required a 90 minute service appointment - again main dealer only, an extra £60 and my other original key in order to program the new key.

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
I was thinking along the line of the government(who currently wants apple to add a back door) having a system where they could have someones fingerprint digitally, plugging in a computer and sending the finger print signal to the phone through the existing fingerprint scanner port. It is currently possible to make a fake fingerprint made
. but it takes a while and the system locks out after 24 hours. The government could make a system that would allow them to plug in their system, send the emulated signal. and unlock it quickly. I know this sound like paranoia, and its not something I would worry about, but it is something that Apple should worry about, and stay ahead of the curve.

Oh, great. Let's get the government involved in the fix. That always works out well and doesn't add any bureaucracy to the mix. What could possibly go wrong. :D

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
They probably do but it also shows that Google has no concern for security.

LOL.. That does not explain Google pushing out monthly security updates. Do Apple do samething or you naturally think iOS is secure with all those security holes left untouched?

LEgregius

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Virginia
I'm confused about how the Apple store couldn't fix the phone of the person in the story. They couldn't replace the touch sensor and re-pair the chips? I mean, they should be able to check his ID and have him log into his apple ID account to see he's the correct owner. I've had apple repair at least 4 devices as under warranty when they probably could have told me, sorry, this really isn't our fault, and they did anyway. 2 of which were after (though not because of) repairs I did my self when I was out of the country.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Oh, great. Let's get the government involved in the fix. That always works out well and doesn't add any bureaucracy to the mix. What could possibly go wrong. :D

I'm not sure if my response wasn't clear or not, but I wasn't suggesting the government be part of the fix, I was saying that the government is the reason Apple is increasing their security.

Studioman

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Why?

If my iPhone is out of warranty, then I should be able to have it repaired by who ever I want.

I can see why it might be a good thing to avoid circumventing the security on stolen phones, but from a user standpoint who wants a repair, apple repairs aren't exactly the cheapest, or in the UK and other countries where apple stores are only in big cities, its a pain in the rear not being able to take it to a local phone shop.
No you shouldn't. Some bozo from who knows where should not be able to tamper with a security feature on my phone that involves my fingerprint and lots of personal data. If I wanted open access I would have bought an android or other type of phone where the maker could care less about security.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Apparently not. His phone was working after the repair. Apple chose to brick it after an update. Was the owner made aware of those consequences prior to the repair?
The timing of events does not matter. Once you do an unauthorized repair, you are risking this. Period.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I think this makes perfect sense. Similarly in OS X, certain components will make your machine ineligible for upgrades and doing so anyway can sometimes make functions of an upgraded operating system behave erratically.

My Mac Pro 1,1 is ineligible for upgrades of OS X beyond Lion and the system does a check for the correct 64-bit EFI before booting into OS X. Since my machine only has a 32-bit EFI, without a custom boot loader, my machine could never run Yosemite/El Capitan the way others' machines do.

What I'm wondering though is whether or not there is a way to jailbreak phones with the "error 53" to allow them to be rebooted or to alter the hardware checker to allow the modified/non-Apple home button to boot the OS.

It still might/might not be secure, but for the people that don't really care about security it could be a solution of sorts.

Dr. Freeman

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
To anyone siding with Apple on this:

Have you considered that Apple could just lock the phone to your iCloud account (like when it gets stolen) or automatically boot it to DFU mode so the phone only works if you restore it? That way all your data is kept safe.

Clearly Apple is tired of people not shelling out money for AppleCare.

JPLC

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Netherlands
So, putting my iPhones home button on another iPhone could be a hardware hack to entry the secured pre iOS9 data? Just asking...

MacGod

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Some people might be missing the point - even if you get a Apple Touch ID (non-aftermarket) from a valid device and place it in yours, it will brick the device. The Touch ID is married to the logic board. If it detects a mismatch, it will brick your device. I can understand the security issues around getting a 3rd party device - but now we are talking about someone who might have a broken Touch ID sensor and purchased a broken iPhone to salvage that part and put in their device and unsuspectingly, bricked their phone.

I understand the security and applaud Apple for being vigilant, but there is no reason why I could not perform my own screen replacement, touch ID sensor swap, etc. etc. if I have the ability... that is until this!

I don't want to pay Apple $150-200 to replace an item that will cost $10-$15 and my time.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
To anyone siding with Apple on this:

Have you considered that Apple could just lock the phone to your iCloud account (like when it gets stolen) or automatically boot it to DFU mode so the phone only works if you restore it? That way all your data is kept safe.

Clearly Apple is tired of people not shelling out money for AppleCare.
Slippery slope and reality aren't necessarily the same thing.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I am sure if I replace figureprint sensor on Nexus 6P, I will not brick that phone.

Admit it, Apple just want your money

There's a reason
I don't give a crap about how Apple think about security. It is my phone and if the home button gives, I will choose who fix my phone. I ain't let Apple rip me off by charging 100 or more for a crappy home button.

Second, there is no reason to assume that third party will put hacked home button to my phone. And I don't need Apple to baby my security. There is no reason for brick the entire freaking phone just because I replaced the crappy home button. Fine, if you think TouchID is important for security issue, then just disable the stupid TouchID and Apple Pay. As least let user do most basic things.

If Apple can brick my phone by software updates because I replaced the home button by myself. Apple can brick my phone if I change the battery by myself. If I changed the screen by myself. Apple can have 1000 reasons to do that and Apple has the incentive to do so.

I am avoid get into Apple's ecosystem too deeply and I ain't paying any apps if I do not need, just because I ain't going to lock myself into Apple's ecosystem and play along with Apple's rule.

You don't have home button broken on you does not mean it won't happen. I had iPhone 4S and iPad 3 home button fails. It is physical button, it will break sometime. When it happens, Apple will charge you crap load of money.

I ain't paying Apple for that. This is why I am using Android, if something break, I will fix myself or let someone else fix. Not paying Apple single dime.
So stick with your Android if you're going to be emotional and irrational with the vitriol. Apple doesn't disable devices with third party screen repairs. Modifying the phone's security is completely unacceptable. If they followed your indifferent ways, what would stop malicious companies and governments from just swapping out the touchid to allow access to the phone? Exactly. Get lost.

Reactions: pianophile

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I am all for fighting to make devices secure but I can't help but feel sorry for those that live in a country that has no Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. I'm very familiar with the issue and it's a very poor experience to have to travel to another country to get service or ask a family member to stop by an Apple Store during their vacation to get your device service. The issue is compounded by the fact that some Apple Stores can be very overwhelming and busy so, wait times in stores can be for hours for a wait list appointment or booked in advance 7 days out. It's just a terrible experience and I wish Apple would at least acknowledge it or do something about it. It's just not fair.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Dynamite_Rave

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
You can store all your banking information in a car, I seen someones banking info in their car about 30 minutes ago.
You can store as much info in a car as in a phone. This is just getting really silly now. lol

Now I'm pretty curious! What make/model/year of the car that does this? I have a 2012 Kia Soul and all mine can do is sync bluetooth audio to the speakers and play calls. Also, why would a car need to store banking information? (not sarcastic, I genuinely want to know what car does this)

Ksprs

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2015
I am sure if I replace figureprint sensor on Nexus 6P, I will not brick that phone.

Admit it, Apple just want your money

So what you are saying is you want an option where if you loose/your phone gets stolen, people who got your phone now can replace home button with finger print scanner and access all of your personal data including your credit card information? Sounds good!!! Damn you evil Apple!!

Reactions: pianophile
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.