Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I saw a post in a hackintosh reddit that says they solved their problem by recreating the share. They actually created a new folder, moved the content, deleted the old share, and shared the new folder.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Are you sharing between Macs? What kind of system is the shared folder on?

(File sharing seems to work fine for me to other Macs, and Windows 10, either direction)

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Some discussion here as well https://eclecticlight.co/2023/01/23/what-has-changed-in-macos-ventura-13-2/.

Some hoakley advice there and one person's analysis and solution to his specific case.

I had the problem of file sharing (SMB) in 13.2 from a Mac server causing Mac clients to hang. I switched off file sharing on the server, killed/rebooted all the clients, tried again, they all would still hang.

That thread mentioned custom icons. My drives had custom icons, so I thought "Why not try?" and deleted the custom icons. Now file sharing is working. I wouldn't have believed that myself but it may be there's some secondary effect at work there (updating drive attributes / metadata). Anyway I have file sharing back, for now...

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
I had the problem of file sharing (SMB) in 13.2 from a Mac server causing Mac clients to hang. I switched off file sharing on the server, killed/rebooted all the clients, tried again, they all would still hang.

That thread mentioned custom icons. My drives had custom icons, so I thought "Why not try?" and deleted the custom icons. Now file sharing is working. I wouldn't have believed that myself but it may be there's some secondary effect at work there (updating drive attributes / metadata). Anyway I have file sharing back, for now...
INTERESTING... I DO have many custom folder icons. Specifically, the 1 folder and 1 drive that I have shared both have custom icons.

I tried removing the shared folders from File Sharing settings and adding a Test folder without a custom icon. Issue still happens.

I do have many folders on the server with custom icons but aren't included in the "Test" folder I created... Not really prepared to go through decades of folders and remove every custom icon on the computer.

@RubberPants Do your shared folders have custom icons?

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
RESOLVED!

So I found out there is a Backblaze update (8.5.0.652). After installing the latest update, I am able to connect and copy files to/from a blank Test folder!

My custom icon folder & custom icon drive are still not accessible, however... Until I deleted the custom icon and then voila! Everything is working properly.

Seems to be 2 separate but potentially related issues.

Reactions: osplo and svenmany

m_LA

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2018
same here

m1 mac mini -> upgraded to 13.2 broke all shares.

i DO have a custom icon on one of the shares, and that share does not work at all, while the other one without the custom icon will actually list directories before hanging Finder completely

Just tried removing the custom icon but still having issues... will try re-creating the shares again

this is really irritating as one of the reasons i upgraded so quickly to 13.2 was hoping the broken alias icons issue would be fixed...

EDIT: re-created the shares and everything works fine again!

i noticed that the old custom icon was still in the shares menu even after i removed it in finder. maybe thats why it didnt work the first time.

thanks everyone for posting!

Last edited:

StrongTequila

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2021
Israel
I had the same problem, custom icon. I had to temporarily copy files through screen sharing. Now I replaced the folder with a new one without an icon, shared it again and it all worked. The problem arose on iMac late 2013 which does not officially support ventura, ventura is installed using an "open core patch" to last version. I thought this was the problem until I came across this thread

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Interesting how custom icons seem to be causing problems. I have none. 🤔

RubberPants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2023
Canada
No and I am not having any issues sharing between Macs or PCs on my network.
Nothing worked for me tried changing icons plain folder etc. To no avail 😏 Just had to do something else so used a shared Dropbox folder. A bit different for staff to get used to but I’m sure will work out.

DRDR

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
I had the same problems and can confirm that deleting the custom icons, disabling file sharing and reenabling it again solves the problem. Nothing else worked for me to solve the problem.

Solution:

1. right click onto drive icon, choose information, klick onto the icon and delete it, it then becomes the standard icon
  2. go to settings, type in "share" and disable file sharing
  3. reenable file sharing

Reactions: osplo

RubberPants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2023
Canada
I had the same problems and can confirm that deleting the custom icons, disabling file sharing and reenabling it again solves the problem. Nothing else worked for me to solve the problem.

Solution:

1. right click onto drive icon, choose information, klick onto the icon and delete it, it then becomes the standard icon
  2. go to settings, type in "share" and disable file sharing
  3. reenable file sharing
Worked for a few minutes then spinning beach ball. Using Dropbox for now.

brian163

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Worked for a few minutes then spinning beach ball. Using Dropbox for now.
It works until the Finder crosses paths with a custom icon file (VolumeIcon or “Icon?” File if your looking at hidden files in the filesystem). See the reddit post and my comments

Reactions: m_LA

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Are these Mac units on the domain, or connected via Jamf or something like that?
I ask this, as we have a few users on Ventura, and no one has complained about accessing file shares. I however, have not upgraded yet, still on Monterey.

I do want to upgrade, but, reading posts like this, makes me rethink that idea...

RubberPants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2023
Canada
Are these Mac units on the domain, or connected via Jamf or something like that?
I ask this, as we have a few users on Ventura, and no one has complained about accessing file shares. I however, have not upgraded yet, still on Monterey.

I do want to upgrade, but, reading posts like this, makes me rethink that idea...
Well I would wait for a bit. Till next upgrades as there is obviously a problem. 👍

brian163

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008

To potentially help clarify:
1) This issue is specific to 13.2
2) If your referring to Windows AD (domain) file shares, it is not related. If your sharing Mac to Mac via File Sharing, which also utilizes SMB (AppleShare died long ago), the problem will likely occur unless your effectively sharing small or essentially empty folders with no possibility of custom icon files. Any volume based share is most certainly going to reveal the problem as many apps (Google Drive, DropBox, etc.) utilize custom icon files.

At this point I would advise weighing not having the security patches included in 13.2 against how important sharing is to you. Here's a short summary:

Threat Intelligence
Apple is aware of CVE-2022-42856 being actively exploited in the wild.

System Affected
  • Safari versions prior to 16.3 for macOS Big Sur and macOS Monterey
  • iOS versions prior to 12.5.7 for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, and iPod touch (6th generation)
  • iOS versions prior to 15.7.3, for iPadOS 15.7.3, for iPhone 6s (all models), iPhone 7 (all models), iPhone SE (1st generation), iPad Air 2, iPad mini (4th generation), and iPod touch (7th generation)
  • iOS versions prior to 16.3 , for iPadOS 16.3 for iPhone 8 and later, iPad Pro (all models), iPad Air 3rd generation and later, iPad 5th generation and later, and iPad mini 5th generation and later
  • macOS Monterey versions prior to 12.6.3
  • macOS Big Sur versions prior to 11.7.3
  • macOS Ventura versions prior to 13.2
  • watchOS versions prior to 9.3
Risk
Government:

- Large and medium government entities: High
- Small government entities: High
Businesses:
- Large and medium business entities: High
- Small business entities: High

Reactions: m_LA and circatee

m_LA

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2018
good post @brian163

to clarify, from my own experience:

as soon as the server (mac mini) was updated to 13.2, everything broke.

before that, i had clients on mixed versions of macOS including 13.2, and everything worked fine

sillydg

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2023
Fileshare problem started with update to 13.2. I don't have any custom icons, nor am I running Backblaze.

itsmesteven

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
I have problems copying files to my PC external HDD (EXfat/smb) from my Mac mini M1.
The preparation of the file takes a very long time depending on the file size. Once it sends the file, it may fail and the process aborts.
Have no problems copying to PC internal ssd (NTFS).
So frustrating that I was forced to reinstall to Monterey again.
I have never had this issue before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.