Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Deleted every single custom disk icon on my server and things are working fine right now.

Sigh. Such a dumb regression. It worked fine for years.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
On a side note, how many did fresh installs (when installing Ventura?)

I did a fresh install on both my machines for Ventura.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
But who can blame Apple for not testing shared files with metadata, right?

skc176

macrumors member
May 14, 2019
Deleted every single custom disk icon on my server and things are working fine right now.

Sigh. Such a dumb regression. It worked fine for years.
That's great. But for me ... I don't have any custom icons for my drives and it still doesn't work.

Like you said: "Such a dumb regression. It worked fine for years."

itsmesteven

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
That’s a lot of work with numerous computers at a business.
Try Owlfiles - File Explorer on App Store and see if it helps.
It fixed my issue I had with file transfer. I can now copy files to my Windows external usb drive with no issue, full speed.

macOS 13.2

colinwil

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Reading, UK
I’m glad I found this thread. since updating Ventura to the latest version last week I’ve been unable to access the shared volumes on my Mac Mini from my other Macs.

I’ll try some of the suggetions here - removing custom icons, extended attributes etc.

colinwil

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Reading, UK
I’m glad I found this thread. since updating Ventura to the latest version last week I’ve been unable to access the shared volumes on my Mac Mini from my other Macs.

I’ll try some of the suggetions here - removing custom icons, extended attributes etc.
Removing the custom icon for one of my shared drives did the trick :)

I have an old G-Technologies 8TB external hard disk connected via USB to my Mac Mini, and shared via file sharing.

I clicked on the drive in Finder, selected 'Get Info', and instead of the regular icon, it showed a custom G-Technologies one. I right-clicked the icon at the top of the Get Info pane, and selected Delete - and the icon changed to the regular orange external drive one.

I turned off file sharing in settings, rebooted. the Mac Mini, and turned file sharing back on.

Voila! I can now access it from my other Macs as usual.

What a ridiculous bug.

Reactions: osplo and macrlz9

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Yeah, I'm having that same issue as well. I hope this gets fixed with Ventura 13.3 or something. After all, I remember when Monterey had that bug where FireWire video capture wouldn't work in version 12.3, and that was fixed in 12.4.

Last edited:

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Removing the custom icon for one of my shared drives did the trick :)

I have an old G-Technologies 8TB external hard disk connected via USB to my Mac Mini, and shared via file sharing.

I clicked on the drive in Finder, selected 'Get Info', and instead of the regular icon, it showed a custom G-Technologies one. I right-clicked the icon at the top of the Get Info pane, and selected Delete - and the icon changed to the regular orange external drive one.

I turned off file sharing in settings, rebooted. the Mac Mini, and turned file sharing back on.

Voila! I can now access it from my other Macs as usual.

What a ridiculous bug.
Yep I can confirm that file sharing is borked with a G-Tech external RAID drive with custom icon mounted. Way to go Apple. Tip top beta testing.

Reactions: skc176

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
What makes this disappointing is that it's a regression - something that used to work, but now doesn't.

For years I've wondered about the quality of Apple's regression testing as this is hardly the first time things that worked got broken. In some ways, I get it - being a regression tester in a company is generally not a great job and they may have been leaning on the public betas just a tad too much to find these things.

But clearly code was touched here and that needs to trigger a regression testing plan/suite and either that wasn't done, wasn't done well enough, or when a bug was reported internally, it didn't get the priority to get fixed because someone deemed this a lower priority issue.

For a company as rich as Apple, this is a (small) fail. They can afford to do much better. I pay a premium for their product, and do so purposefully so it meets my requirements out of the box, and they've failed me (and others) here.

I do have a developer account and I have submitted bugs that get to "radar" status right away and I've even worked with them on a near-real-time basis for some really interesting iPhone bugs in the day, so I know they can do better here.

Edited to add: Regression testing can be a huge cost that usually doesn't pay off in a financial sense. If you think about all the test cases that need to be run to find bugs such as this one, you can go nuts. So leaning on the public is understandable, effective even. But you cannot completely run from regression testing, you *will* run into quality issues like this one. So yes, I'm a tad concerned that leadership has not given testing the money/budget/HC it needs to do the best job it can.

Last edited:

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I have a follow up call with Apple today. I want to give them as much data as possible-since I can’t downgrade the OS the more info they have the better. The person I spoke with said their engineering team is aware of the issue.

Of course a fix could be Tuesday or in 4 months.

Tilbert

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
I have a follow up call with Apple today. I want to give them as much data as possible-since I can’t downgrade the OS the more info they have the better. The person I spoke with said their engineering team is aware of the issue.

The problem seems to occur when moderate amounts of data are transferred. I have a screensaver that pulls pictures from the server. It only takes a few MB every 10 seconds or so and it can run for hours and never lock up. If I try to load a folder in finder that's when it breaks as it's trying to display the list of files.

I vote for Tuesday. ;):D

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009

Just send them the link to this thread...

H_D

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2021
Reminds me of the period when they introduced APFS and borked the OS for weeks and months until it more or less worked. Tuesday would be good, Monday even better. ;-)

Reactions: dandeco

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
The problem seems to occur when moderate amounts of data are transferred. I have a screensaver that pulls pictures from the server. It only takes a few MB every 10 seconds or so and it can run for hours and never lock up. If I try to load a folder in finder that's when it breaks as it's trying to display the list of files.

I vote for Tuesday. ;):D

Tuesday is now gone :-(

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
Why not try moving your shared information to a different hard drive that is NOT associated with Time Machine at all. Apple may have changed security for time machine disks.

jpWaller

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023
On the miniMac, I have one SSD dedicated to Time Machine. I have media and docs on another, separate SSD. They both have problems. They both had custom icons, which I deleted. Reboot... and all the rest: the problems remain.

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
A more basic question to all serial upgraders. Why upgrade to Ventura? Is there anything I am missing using OS 12.6?

I have always expected that my Mac to be transformed by every OS upgrade. All I have gotten is puzzles and problems.

• Haha
Reactions: osplo

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
On the miniMac, I have one SSD dedicated to Time Machine. I have media and docs on another, separate SSD. They both have problems. They both had custom icons, which I deleted. Reboot... and all the rest: the problems remain.
Did you check the get info on the drives? My external time machine HD does not have options like ignore ownership but my external general data drive does. You may have unlock and add custom access for others. You may have to ask Apple and report back.

jpWaller

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023
Yes, on my media SSD, ownership is completely open. And as you say, on the TM SSD, no ownership appears in the info pane. In any event, yesterday I erased my miniMac and downgraded to Monterey, the default installation. After a backup recovery from TM, all SMB connectivity issues are resolved. I would add that my 2 other macBooks and 1 iMac are running Ventura 13.2. They no longer have any connectivity issues with the miniMac server.

I had even looked at the ALC of the SSD drives, but I could not see any issues that seemed suspicious. I therefore do not believe that the Ventura 13.2's broken SMB connectivity is an issue of permissions.

Last edited:

jpWaller

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023
I have neglected to mention that, under Ventura 13.2, the miniMac had no problem sharing "media" files. These, of course, are defined by "macOS Music" and "macOS TV". These files were on my SSD with other files to be shared, but not with TM. I could not access this SSD properly from my macBook using SMB. But the media files connected perfectly well to my AppleTV device. I am not sure what protocol is used in this case. All I observed is that it worked perfectly well, as it did under Ventura 13.1, but only for media files. In another time, I would have said "iTunes" files.

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
I prefer my time machine on an external drive so that I can disconnect and move or store safely. That said a ssd is formatted as APFS by default. My cheap TM hard drive is Mac OS Extended. That may be an issue.
If it’s now working Move On and be happy. May OS 13.5 will be the one for us all.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
So far my Time Machine disk seems to work fine with my M1 MacBook Air, and my 2015 Retina 15" MacBook Pro running Ventura via OCLP. It's just sharing files in-between the two computers. Sometimes I can maybe transfer one or two small files before Finder locks up and I have to reboot. Right now, my workaround is to boot the 2015 MacBook Pro into Target Disk Mode and transfer the files via Thunderbolt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.