Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I just received my new M2. Using the M2 to mount shares provided by my 2018 MacBook Pro is unreliable. It works for a while, then invariably starts hanging when just listing directory contents. I have no special icons. There is a chance I've assigned some extended attributes at some point in the past, but I'll have to look where they might be. I've tried WiFi to WiFi, WiFi to the ethernet, and ethernet to ethernet (short runs of cat8 cables to a managed 1 Gb switch).

Using my 2018 MacBook Pro to mount shares provided by my M2 seems to work fine.

Using my M2 to mount shares provided by my Windows 11 machine seems to work fine.

Ventura is poorly written with respect to networking. After the share starts to hang, Finder becomes completely unusable. Trying to restart Finder fails; I'm left without Finder running (but I did fail to check activity monitor). In addition, when trying to take control of things in Terminal, that starting hanging when I navigated into the /Volumes directory. The whole application became unresponsive, even in new windows I managed to launch.

I am able to recover the M2 by turning off file sharing on the 2018 machine. The M2 immediately recognizes the disconnect and all goes back to normal.

An OS should be orders of magnitude more robust when there are issues with external resources. Ventura seems to have been written by amateurs. This kind of behavior is about as bad as it gets with respect to operating systems. I've never seen anything so egregious on Windows 10 or 11.

• Wow
Reactions: osplo

jpWaller

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023
I prefer my time machine on an external drive so that I can disconnect and move or store safely. That said a ssd is formatted as APFS by default. My cheap TM hard drive is Mac OS Extended. That may be an issue.
If it’s now working Move On and be happy. May OS 13.5 will be the one for us all.
MacOs Extended format for TM is not an issue. Neither is APFS. At issue is Ventura 13.2.

Reactions: dandeco and macrlz9

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
I just received my new M2. Using the M2 to mount shares provided by my 2018 MacBook Pro is unreliable.

Thanks for the detailed report on what works and what not. Have you contacted Apple to report the problem?

An OS should be orders of magnitude more robust when there are issues with external resources.

I fully agree. I assume that a KillAll Finder in Terminal is not enough to revert things to normal. Crazy.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around just how bad the networking situation is now. I think file sharing from Ventura to Windows shares is fine; it's been fine all day. But, I accidentally shut off my Windows machine with its share still mounted on Ventura. Finder became completely unresponsive for at least 15 seconds, until it realized the share was gone. This doesn't feel like an smb version or configuration issue; it's broken at a more fundamental level.

• Wow

raecom

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
I just received my new M2. Using the M2 to mount shares provided by my 2018 MacBook Pro is unreliable. It works for a while, then invariably starts hanging when just listing directory contents. I have no special icons. There is a chance I've assigned some extended attributes at some point in the past, but I'll have to look where they might be. I've tried WiFi to WiFi, WiFi to the ethernet, and ethernet to ethernet (short runs of cat8 cables to a managed 1 Gb switch).

Using my 2018 MacBook Pro to mount shares provided by my M2 seems to work fine.

Using my M2 to mount shares provided by my Windows 11 machine seems to work fine.

Ventura is poorly written with respect to networking. After the share starts to hang, Finder becomes completely unusable. Trying to restart Finder fails; I'm left without Finder running (but I did fail to check activity monitor). In addition, when trying to take control of things in Terminal, that starting hanging when I navigated into the /Volumes directory. The whole application became unresponsive, even in new windows I managed to launch.

I am able to recover the M2 by turning off file sharing on the 2018 machine. The M2 immediately recognizes the disconnect and all goes back to normal.

An OS should be orders of magnitude more robust when there are issues with external resources. Ventura seems to have been written by amateurs. This kind of behavior is about as bad as it gets with respect to operating systems. I've never seen anything so egregious on Windows 10 or 11.
I have the same problem with my M1 MacBook Air when accessing shares provided by my 2017 Intel MacBook Pro and I have no problem with the MB Pro accessing shares on the M1 MB Air. I placed a call to Apple Support yesterday and got a call back right away confirming that they are aware of this issue and working on a solution. Hopefully it will be soon.

Just noticed that Screen Sharing still works both ways.

Last edited:

Evil Lair

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2013
Networking issues bringing down the whole OS is nothing new for the Mac, I remember 10 years ago having to solve issues that would hang every app including the Finder and the only thing that would immediately bring everything back was yanking the ethernet cable.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Networking issues bringing down the whole OS is nothing new for the Mac, I remember 10 years ago having to solve issues that would hang every app including the Finder and the only thing that would immediately bring everything back was yanking the ethernet cable.
Oh boy.

I initially thought it was just Finder. But, when the Terminal shell started hanging, I realized it was more.

Finder and System Settings are the two Apple apps where I've encountered many bugs (maybe because I use them so often), but you can work around them. Networking issues like you describe and I saw can be insurmountable. Disconnecting the network might not be possible if, for example, you're in the middle of an important screen sharing session. In my line of work, it's easy to imagine I would be trying to transfer files in the middle of a presentation.

Another kind of network bug happened to me this morning. I mounted an smb share from my Sinology. Later I ejected it in Disk Utility since I was working on something in that app. The icon remained on the desktop, but there was no content in it when I opened a window on it. I remounted the share and then there were two icons on the desktop, one functioning and one not. I tried to eject the valid share and Finder hung for around 10 seconds. It's not inconceivable that the networking subsystems were involved in the problem.

I just want to scream.

marstan

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
It isn't just file sharing that is affected but also screen sharing. I can fix it by turning off file and screen sharing, rebooting and turning back on. Then, stops working after a while for no apparent reason. I have only had serious hangs in Finder when trying to mount a time machine share on a NAS. Immediate Finder lockup when doing that with only way to recover a force quit and log-off. To add insult to injury Mac OS won't even delete the contents of the TM share which I need to do in order to delete the share on the NAS. I had to go to a Windows machine to delete the TM share files which it did easily. Very embarrassing. In 15 years of Mac OS' I have never had these problems.

[M2 Mac mini, M2 MacBook Air, Ventura 13.2]

• Sad

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
I can also confirm that this problem only happens when trying to share between two Macs running Ventura, officially or not. If using networked file sharing to a Mac running an older OS version, I have no trouble. (I can even share files to my PowerMac G4 MDD running Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11!)

marstan

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
I can also confirm that this problem only happens when trying to share between two Macs running Ventura, officially or not. If using networked file sharing to a Mac running an older OS version, I have no trouble. (I can even share files to my PowerMac G4 MDD running Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11!)
Right. No problem when sharing between my old '08 MBP (El Cap) and MacPro (Mohave) tower. A step back in this regard right now. Networking is a core function of an OS and Mac OS can't do it right now. Time for Federighi to channel Steve Jobs and ask his engineering team why the f#@k can't it do that.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
How did you eject it in Disk Utility? My Synology doesn't show there.
Maybe I'm wrong. I don't see it there now either. I was working with Disk Utility, but maybe I clicked on eject in Finder and am not remembering correctly.

The bug was that eject was triggered from someplace other than the desktop icon and the desktop icon remained. (That's me recasting the problem to save face.)

yoghurtlidlicker

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2023
It doesn't work with Windows (or Linux) shares.

Reactions: dandeco

pooh

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
Last Friday I spent at least an hour trying to figure out why File Sharing didn't work anymore after upgrading my Mac to Ventura 13.2. So glad I hit on this thread. After removing all my drives' custom icons (which were meticulously self made and dear to me) I got File Sharing working again. And indeed the connecting Mac does eventually hang up completely until File Sharing is stopped on the 13.2 Mac, something that should in fact never be possible at all. I/O lock-ups howerer are nothing new, as someone else noticed it is sometimes necessary to yank an Ethernet cable to get a system to work again. I feel (but have no proof) that this network issue started with macOS 10.15.

I am still trying to figure out why it is impossible anymore to share anything with a custom icon. It looks to be a privilege issue (when connecting to the share it seems to actually mount but accessing it causes a lock-up).

Hopefully a solution will come. I want my custom icons back!

skc176

macrumors member
May 14, 2019
Last Friday I spent at least an hour trying to figure out why File Sharing didn't work anymore after upgrading my Mac to Ventura 13.2. So glad I hit on this thread. After removing all my drives' custom icons (which were meticulously self made and dear to me) I got File Sharing working again. And indeed the connecting Mac does eventually hang up completely until File Sharing is stopped on the 13.2 Mac, something that should in fact never be possible at all. I/O lock-ups howerer are nothing new, as someone else noticed it is sometimes necessary to yank an Ethernet cable to get a system to work again. I feel (but have no proof) that this network issue started with macOS 10.15.

I am still trying to figure out why it is impossible anymore to share anything with a custom icon. It looks to be a privilege issue (when connecting to the share it seems to actually mount but accessing it causes a lock-up).

Hopefully a solution will come. I want my custom icons back!
Just updated to 13.2.1

Sad to say SMB still not f*ing fixed

• Sad

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Just updated both. No joy. But doesn't help that my Catalina Mac mini won't connect either to my Ventura 13.2.1 iMac.
I'm seeing the same. My server Mac just came online and issue is still happening. I feel like this update was pushed out due to the security patch. Hopefully the next version includes a fix... I just hope that it is fixed by 13.3 and we don't have to wait beyond that.

Not that it's acceptable, just being realistic/optimistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: yoghurtlidlicker

skc176

macrumors member
May 14, 2019
I'm seeing the same. My server Mac just came online and issue is still happening. I feel like this was pushed out due to the security patch. Hopefully the next version includes a fix... I just hope that it is fixed by 13.3 and we don't have to wait beyond that.

Not that it's acceptable, just being realistic/optimistic.
🤞

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Question about the custom icons - Is it a problem if they're encountered in subfolders of shares, or just in the share folder itself?

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Question about the custom icons - Is it a problem if they're encountered in subfolders of shares, or just in the share folder itself?
The client machine will lock up whenever it comes across a custom icon.

For example, my shared external drives had custom icons and I wouldn’t be able to even open them via file sharing but once the custom icons were deleted, they will mount and I can access files/folders just fine until I encounter another folder with a custom icon.

Turning Wi-Fi off (completely, not via control center) or rebooting the server is the only way to bring it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.