Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Does this network access issue also affect Macs connected to a NAS - network storage device like Drobo or Synology?

Not with my Synology NAS. I'm navigating around now in a clone of my laptop. I can't trigger the problem. It's hard not to trigger the problem when I try the same when connecting to my Intel Ventura laptop.

Finbarr Cnaipe

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2019
North America
For what its worth... I have no issue with my NETGEAR ReadyNAS(s) to/from any macOS Ventura device. I am using that as a "work-around" way-point for copying files between my six Ventura devices.

Also, CCC backup tasks (remote mac/rsync) work just fine as prior to 13.2.1.

For me issue is limited to mounting remote Ventura shares (from Ventura), and trying to navigate them via Finder. I only have ONE non-Ventura Mac right now (Wifey 2016 MBP, on Monterey), and she has no normal daily need for smb to the rest of the network anyway.

I'm good working with NAS as a way point until Apple can fix this major kludge... As long my CCC tasks work, I can work around it I guess. It is still annoying, but I think we all miss Steve Jobs for a whole lot of stuff that wouldn't be happening if he was still with us....

Finny

Reactions: osplo

marstan

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
I have two machines on Ventura - an M2 Air and M2 mini Pro. I have no issues with these machines file sharing with each other or to a NAS. Only issue I have had involves screen sharing between them: screen sharing only works when you turn it (and file sharing) off, then reboot and turn it back on. If you then restart, it won't work unless you go back through the prior process. Am I understanding the issue correctly?

Last edited:

pooh

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
After playing around a bit with extended attributes, I can conclude that they are indeed what is causing the issue with SMB sharing from Ventura. I could not even connect to my home directory from another computer but after clearing the extended attributes using xattr -c I could connect again. The extended attribute that was in the way in my case was "com.apple.FinderInfo" which was present even though I had no custom icon. Could be a relic from the past as I have been migrating and upgrading since the first version of Mac OS X.

As soon as there are extended attributes present however it stops working.

After adding "Comments" using "Get info" the extended attribute "com.apple.metadata:kMDItemFinderComment" and the connecting machine can connect but hangs after a while. The hangup can be triggered by trying to "Get info" on the mounted share.

After adding a Tag using "Get info" the extended attribute "com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags: is added. Now I can no longer connect, the share is listed but the connecting machine hangs trying to connect. On the machine serving the share I can not even turn off File Sharing, the Sharing preference does not even load. I could load it again after force killing smbd using sudo kill -9.

After adding a custom icon the extended attribute "com.apple.FinderInfo" appears and kills File Sharing in much the same way.

After clearing all extended attributes sharing works again.

First and foremost, I think what ever happens on a network it should never ever deadlock the file system of any machine ever. Filesystem lockups should never happen. Ever. This is a huge bug imho, regardless of the bug in the Ventura machine serving the share. For your info, macOS 13.3 beta does not fix the issue.

Secondly, I do hope that Apple is aware of this issue. But since 13.3 beta does not fix it my hopes are not high for a quick solution. And no, a workaround is not a solution.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
After playing around a bit with extended attributes, I can conclude that they are indeed what is causing the issue with SMB sharing from Ventura. I could not even connect to my home directory from another computer but after clearing the extended attributes using xattr -c I could connect again. The extended attribute that was in the way in my case was "com.apple.FinderInfo" which was present even though I had no custom icon. Could be a relic from the past as I have been migrating and upgrading since the first version of Mac OS X.

As soon as there are extended attributes present however it stops working.

After adding "Comments" using "Get info" the extended attribute "com.apple.metadata:kMDItemFinderComment" and the connecting machine can connect but hangs after a while. The hangup can be triggered by trying to "Get info" on the mounted share.

After adding a Tag using "Get info" the extended attribute "com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags: is added. Now I can no longer connect, the share is listed but the connecting machine hangs trying to connect. On the machine serving the share I can not even turn off File Sharing, the Sharing preference does not even load. I could load it again after force killing smbd using sudo kill -9.

After adding a custom icon the extended attribute "com.apple.FinderInfo" appears and kills File Sharing in much the same way.

After clearing all extended attributes sharing works again.

First and foremost, I think what ever happens on a network it should never ever deadlock the file system of any machine ever. Filesystem lockups should never happen. Ever. This is a huge bug imho, regardless of the bug in the Ventura machine serving the share. For your info, macOS 13.3 beta does not fix the issue.

Secondly, I do hope that Apple is aware of this issue. But since 13.3 beta does not fix it my hopes are not high for a quick solution. And no, a workaround is not a solution.

Thanks for the detailed report. With all this information Apple should be able to fix it, have you reported your findings to them?

fivenotrump

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Central England
I have three Macs (two M1s running 13.2.1, one old Intel machine running Big Sur) and a Synology NAS. All four share files between themselves, the Macs back up to NAS with Time Machine. All shares have extended attributes all the way down the directory hierarchies. Performance is great over wifi and ethernet. No Finder problems. I only use SMBv3.

pooh

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
Thanks for the detailed report. With all this information Apple should be able to fix it, have you reported your findings to them?
If there is an "official" method of reporting this to Apple I would like to know. The "feedback" page does not seem to be the correct place.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Yep, you are shockingly right... well, I think that calling is the best option.

drbill

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2020
I have three Macs (two M1s running 13.2.1, one old Intel machine running Big Sur) and a Synology NAS. All four share files between themselves, the Macs back up to NAS with Time Machine. All shares have extended attributes all the way down the directory hierarchies. Performance is great over wifi and ethernet. No Finder problems. I only use SMBv3.
Have others found that limiting SMB to v3 is a workaround for this issue?

marstan

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
Similar experience here except for one issue.

I have been experimenting with a homegrown NAS using Unraid server and an old pc. When I tried to do a Time Machine backup to the NAS on a SMBv3 share it would complete an initial backup and then stop doing incrementals backups. Any subsequent attempts at even accessing the TM share on the server would crash Finder requiring a machine restart. Even weirder Mac OS wouldn't delete the TM sparse bundle or the .ds file on the NAS. Probably an issue with the NAS server but, still, shouldn't hard lock Mac OS Finder. Accessing/using all other shares on the NAS via SMBv3 works fine. I wonder if it is related to this apparent Mac OS SMB issue.

DRDR

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Obviously file sharing was not tested with using M1 or M2 to Intel or each other. Funny I have no problem file sharing going from Intel to M1 and they are aware of that also.
I have the problems from M2 to M1. I fixed them by removing custom icons.

DRDR

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
This might well be the case but I probably did not have any of them in the share.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
I thought these problems were more than just customs icons but about extended attributes.

Yes. It seems to be more general than just custom icons. This seems to happen with all kinds of extended attributes, of which custom icons are just a subset.

So, someone may remove all custom icons and yet it will not solve the problem, as there might be some (hidden? forced by third party software? forgotten?) extended attributes still lurking around somewhere in the folder or subfolders.

Some posts above you guys will find a terminal command to remove all extended attributes but I wouldn't do it without knowing how that could affect third party (or even Apple's?) apps.

Reactions: dandeco

abromber

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2013
13.2.1 has a known bug that is breaking smb. This primarily affects Apple file sharing and network Time Machine backups, but will affect anything that relies on smb. None of the posted fixes (change icons, restart smb and reboot, use smb2, etc.) work for everyone or for very long. Its serious. Since the MacOS 13.1 installer isn't available anymore, the only fix is to downgrade to Monterey which is unaffected. So far Apple is not acknowledging the problem but they are getting a LOT of complaints.

Ventura 13.2.1 Breaks file sharing

abromber

Reactions: dandeco

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
13.2.1 has a known bug that is breaking smb. This primarily affects Apple file sharing and network Time Machine backups, but will affect anything that relies on smb. None of the posted fixes (change icons, restart smb and reboot, use smb2, etc.) work for everyone or for very long. Its serious. Since the MacOS 13.1 installer isn't available anymore, the only fix is to downgrade to Monterey which is unaffected. So far Apple is not acknowledging the problem but they are getting a LOT of complaints.

abromber
I remember this bug also happening in 13.2 (before 13.2.1).

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008

abromber

For one of the posts there, for one user, changing the computer name apparently solved the problem.

Not a fix, I know, but maybe a workaround for a while.

SKB_1965

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2021
Scotland
Any joy with the third beta of 13.3?
Aye...so it seems...all my external drives are appearing again on both my Mac mini and M1 Max MacBook Pro. I've been able to open various files over the network in Photoshop...Quicktime...and even Davinci Resolve, where I have my footage stored on large external desktop RAID and NAS. Fingers crossed... ;)

• Love
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.