Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pooh

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
Question about the custom icons - Is it a problem if they're encountered in subfolders of shares, or just in the share folder itself?
So far only when the share itself has a custom icon. Even when, for instance, sharing a single folder using Get Info to enable sharing. As soon as you give that folder a custom icon, you can't connect to it anymore (client machine eventually hangs). Remove the icon and it works again.

My shares themselves have plenty of folders with custom icons, so far that does not seem to cause problems.

ZubaZ

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Crazy! I spent time yesterday and downgraded my mac mini used as file server to Monterey.
Even if I have removed the custom icon, there were sudden interruptions and timeouts. They were not always permanent but was not good for my sanity. Now I am happy again!

FIY: I am using file sharing (smb) via a thunderbolt bridge with usb-c to usb-c cable between a Mac Mini M1 and Macbook Pro 16 (intel) which is running Monterey.

skc176

macrumors member
May 14, 2019
try getting both Macs on the same version of macOS.
monterey is the go … 

M1 Air, 2017 iMac both on 13.2.1 Cannot SMB from M1 to iMac, but otherway around fine. No external drives connected to M1. Lots of external drives connected to iMac. The work around of deleting custom icons doesn't work for me.

The Macmini is a 2012 on catalina. Cannot be upgraded further. That cannot connect to iMac. Haven't tried connecting to M1.

We should not have to jump through hoops to do what was woking very well before 13.2

raecom

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
I have been backing up my M1 MacBook Air to a shared SSD with a sparse bundle on my 2017 MacBook Pro for several months without any problems however with the current releases of Ventura (13.2 and 13.2.1) and the problems with file sharing this is no longer possible. My question is can I eject the SSD with the sparse bundle from the MacBook Pro and connect it directly to my M1 MacBook Air and continue the daily backups to the sparse bundle until Apple gets this issue solved, then at that time connect it back to my MacBook Pro and resume the backups as before via file sharing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

raecom

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
M1 Air, 2017 iMac both on 13.2.1 Cannot SMB from M1 to iMac, but otherway around fine. No external drives connected to M1. Lots of external drives connected to iMac. The work around of deleting custom icons doesn't work for me.

The Macmini is a 2012 on catalina. Cannot be upgraded further. That cannot connect to iMac. Haven't tried connecting to M1.

We should not have to jump through hoops to do what was woking very well before 13.2
I agree however I have a similar setup and could not backup to my sparse bundle with 13.2. See my latest post above.

I can connect from the Pro to the M1 without any problems.

The custom icon thing did not work for me either. I have contacted apple and they are painfully aware of the issues. Hopefully they will get it corrected soon.

Last edited:

halledise

macrumors 68020

just a suggestion - for a wet weekend.
backup your home folders on each mac that you own, noting the apps on each - for installing later.
then full erase each mac and download the latest macOS available for that device.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/mchlp1599/mac

once setup on each is to your satisfaction, try syncing betwixt each device.
it should work now.
then add in data files, movies, photos, books, etc.
trust this is good advice for your issue 🙏

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I called Apple again yesterday just to put more pressure on them. At this point it sounds like they need more data. I suggest everyone call and bug them until they fix it.

Reactions: osplo

skc176

macrumors member
May 14, 2019
just a suggestion - for a wet weekend.
backup your home folders on each mac that you own, noting the apps on each - for installing later.
then full erase each mac and download the latest macOS available for that device.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/mchlp1599/mac

once setup on each is to your satisfaction, try syncing betwixt each device.
it should work now.
then add in data files, movies, photos, books, etc.
trust this is good advice for your issue 🙏
Thanks. Done for a number of previous macOS releases. Not doing it this time. It worked in 13.1, and now doesn't in 13.2. Apple broke something. They need to fix it. As they wrote the software, their responsibility.

I've been using macOS since system 6 (1989) and generally for it's been fine. I've had to do full system reinstalls over the years, I think Big Sur was the last full system restore on the iMac - so not that long ago. I've been a software engineer for 40 years, so what we are having to do to get this SMB working is not a solution. It needs to be fixed by Apple.

Reactions: DRDR and gnuKindy

ddhawk

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2016
Sechelt, BC, Canada
I’m angry soon as I upgraded all my company Macs to Ventura 13.2 I cannot get then to connect to our shared Folder we use constantly daily. Spoke to a senior advisor to no avail. What the heck??? Tried everything myself to nothing. Won’t connect yer with 13.1 no issues. Anyone have this experience? Thanks

Greg
I have been working with Apple on this issue using Feedback Assistant since Feb 4th. No resolution yet, including 13.2.1.

WORK AROUND SOLUTION FOR MAC SERVERS: Remove extended attributes for the shared folder on the server computer. In Terminal, use:
xattr -c /Volumes/NameOfSharedFolder

Reactions: osplo

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I have been working with Apple on this issue using Feedback Assistant since Feb 4th. No resolution yet, including 13.2.1.

WORK AROUND SOLUTION FOR MAC SERVERS: Remove extended attributes for the shared folder on the server computer. In Terminal, use:

But extended attributes could be encountered at any folder below the share. The hang happens for me when I descend into subfolders. So, you'd have to descend down and eliminate all such attributes. The "find" command could easily do it, but I'd hesitate to recommend that since extended attributes might serve other important functions.

Reactions: DrKarl

ddhawk

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2016
Sechelt, BC, Canada
But extended attributes could be encountered at any folder below the share. The hang happens for me when I descend into subfolders. So, you'd have to descend down and eliminate all such attributes. The "find" command could easily do it, but I'd hesitate to recommend that since extended attributes might serve other important functions.
Yes I agree, however this work around worked for me, and may work for others. Still not a solution.

gnuKindy

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2023
I'm not good at English, so I'll translate Japanese into English with Deepl and post it.

About the SMB sharing problem

I was sharing two folders
Let's say folder A and folder B for convenience
Both A and B have more than 3 levels of subdirectories.

I can connect to folder A by SMB without any problem
But when I double click on folder B, everything freezes.

I guessed that folder B contained some kind of problem, so I looked for a custom icon and deleted it, but that didn't solve it.

In the course of my research, I learned that Macs have something called "extended attributes".

When I ran the "ls -l@" command in the terminal app for folder A and B respectively, I found that folder B had a lot of "@" indicating the extended attribute.

In a comment a while ago, "ddhawk" introduced the following command

I decided to add -r to it to handle folder B all the way down to the subdirectories

xattr -c -r /Volumes/FolderB

Then I restarted my Mac and turned on file sharing

To my surprise, the results are very good so far and the contents of folder B are quickly displayed!

It has been 2 hours since then and so far no problems!
However, I still don't know what the result of removing all the extended attributes will be, but I don't regret it!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Last edited:
Reactions: AlumaMac and osplo

gnuKindy

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2023
I didn't mention that I was working on another one.

In addition to the above command process, I used terminal commands based on the Apple website

URL I used as a reference

The command I executed was the following three lines
I executed one line at a time

echo "[default]" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf

echo "mc_on=no" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf

echo "mc_prefer_wired=yes" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I didn't mention that I was working on another one.

In addition to the above command process, I used terminal commands based on the Apple website

URL I used as a reference

The command I executed was the following three lines
I executed one line at a time

echo "[default]" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf

echo "mc_on=no" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf

echo "mc_prefer_wired=yes" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf

Nice, I'd never heard of multichannel, that's great info. Do you have more than one network interface?

Unfortunately, I have the problem when ethernet is unplugged and only one interface (the WiFi one) is up. And during my testing with ethernet, I tested with my WiFi disabled and had the same problem.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I decided to add -r to it to handle folder B all the way down to the subdirectories

xattr -c -r /Volumes/FolderB

That scares the bejeebus out of me. I ran xattr -r on a directory and tons of files had different kinds of extended attributes. Maybe if the problematic share was only used remotely, as a share, then I might consider it. But I also use the computer with the share directly. I have no idea of the consequence of removing the attributes on all the files under a share.

For example, I do share my home directory. I see "iCloud" attributes on some files and I do keep my Desktop and Documents in iCloud. The files in my Dropbox folder have a few com.dropbox.* attributes on them; I see, for example, "com.dropbox.attrs", "com.dropbox.internal", "com.dropbox.ignored", "com.dropbox.internal_flags" all in the top level directory. And of course, that Dropbox folder would be one of the folders encountered under the share of my home directory. There's a good chance those attributes are required to keep Dropbox functioning.

I also have a feeling that people who back up to Backblaze and have had problems do have extended attributes on files that Backblaze maintains to track backed-up state. That's really just a guess.

gnuKindy

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2023
Nice, I'd never heard of multichannel, that's great info. Do you have more than one network interface?

Unfortunately, I have the problem when ethernet is unplugged and only one interface (the WiFi one) is up. And during my testing with ethernet, I tested with my WiFi disabled and had the same problem.
In my environment, I use both Ethernet and WiFi networks

I have tried turning off Wifi and using only Ethernet, or turning off Ethernet and using only WiFi, and in both cases I can access the shared folders without any problems.

gnuKindy

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2023
That scares the bejeebus out of me. I ran xattr -r on a directory and tons of files had different kinds of extended attributes. Maybe if the problematic share was only used remotely, as a share, then I might consider it. But I also use the computer with the share directly. I have no idea of the consequence of removing the attributes on all the files under a share.

For example, I do share my home directory. I see "iCloud" attributes on some files and I do keep my Desktop and Documents in iCloud. The files in my Dropbox folder have a few com.dropbox.* attributes on them; I see, for example, "com.dropbox.attrs", "com.dropbox.internal", "com.dropbox.ignored", "com.dropbox.internal_flags" all in the top level directory. And of course, that Dropbox folder would be one of the folders encountered under the share of my home directory. There's a good chance those attributes are required to keep Dropbox functioning.

I also have a feeling that people who back up to Backblaze and have had problems do have extended attributes on files that Backblaze maintains to track backed-up state. That's really just a guess.
The folders I share via SMB do not include folders such as Dropbox or BackBlaze.

Only directories shared within the local LAN.

Since it does not contain folders such as Dropbox, I thought there was little chance of a glitch when I ran the xattr command to remove the extended attributes

If the shared folders included Dropbox, etc., I would not use the xattr command to remove the extended attributes, because I would be worried about any problems that might occur.

raecom

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
We should not have to try work arounds to solve a problem of this magnitude. Apple should publicly admit that there is a problem and that they are working on it. I opened a case was advised that they are aware of the problem. Now PLEASE fix it. Obviously file sharing was not tested with using M1 or M2 to Intel or each other. Funny I have no problem file sharing going from Intel to M1 and they are aware of that also.

Reactions: osplo and dandeco

terryzb

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2023
Has anyone had smb connection issues when there are emojis in file or folder names? Like "💚 Good takes" or "👍 Synced multicams" for example. We've been having intermittent, random disconnect issues since Catalina with (QNAP) NAS units connected via smb over 10GbE. Currently a Mac Studio Ultra running 13.1 will randomly disconnect the NAS that's mounted, causing Final Cut Pro to crash or sometimes gracefully quit. It's also happens with an iMac running 12.6.3 Monterey.

I've recently noticed that when hiding FCP to do something in the Finder, the NAS icon has changed position. I'd seen this before but it never really registered. Now I'm wondering if the the NAS is disconnecting and then quickly being reconnected, and the icon ends up in a different position. Normally FCP is full screen so it would obscure this happening on the desktop.

This discussion about custom folder icons causing problems got me thinking about emojis in file and folder names and wondering if anyone has discovered if they are also causes for smb instability.

Kristin Zhivago

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2017
I’m angry soon as I upgraded all my company Macs to Ventura 13.2 I cannot get then to connect to our shared Folder we use constantly daily. Spoke to a senior advisor to no avail. What the heck??? Tried everything myself to nothing. Won’t connect yer with 13.1 no issues. Anyone have this experience? Thanks

Greg
Greg - and all others here - thanks for all your tips. As soon as I upgraded to Ventura 13.2.1 on my Mac mini, I could no longer access files on my Mac laptop from my Mac mini. I was having to go into every file on my laptop and use "info" and then "sharing" and set it up so that my Mac mini could access that specific file. Given the number of files I would need to access over time, this was not an acceptable long-term solution. Read most of the posts here, tried them, nothing. Went to Apple support, nothing.

However, I just found this and tried the second option. ...and it worked.
https://www.stratospherix.com/articles/fb141019.php#:~:text=Re-enable File Sharing,again to re-enable it.

The fix involved going into System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Full Disk Access on my Mac mini, then turning off smbd (did need to give the pw for my Mac mini), then re-enabled smbd. I then accessed files on the laptop from the Mac mini that I had not yet set up to be specifically accessed, and all files opened with no problems at all. It appears I have access to all the files on the laptop once again.

Good luck!

Last edited:

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Greg - and all others here - thanks for all your tips. As soon as I upgraded to Ventura 13.2.1 on my Mac mini, I could no longer access files on my Mac laptop from my Mac mini. I was having to go into every file on my laptop and use "info" and then "sharing" and set it up so that my Mac mini could access that specific file. Given the number of files I would need to access over time, this was not an acceptable long-term solution. Read most of the posts here, tried them, nothing. Went to Apple support, nothing.

However, I just found this and tried the second option. ...and it worked.
https://www.stratospherix.com/articles/fb141019.php#:~:text=Re-enable File Sharing,again to re-enable it.

The fix involved going into System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Full Disk Access on my Mac mini, then turning off smbd (did need to give the pw for my Mac mini), then re-enabled smbd. I then accessed files on the laptop from the Mac mini that I had not yet set up to be specifically accessed, and all files opened with no problems at all. It appears I have access to all the files on the laptop once again.

Good luck!
I was hopeful but sadly this did not resolve the issue for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.