Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
There's plenty of talk on the Verizon forum of people getting throttled to a crawl after 10GB. I'm not giving up my grandfather unlimited anytime soon.
No real crawling for us so far, maybe an occasional 10-15 second slow down or two; the great thing is we aren't tied to any contract; if it doesn't work we can pick another plan.

For us it has worked for 2 months using 100GB plus without ATT DSL, or ATT Hughes Sat - our only other home internet choices available. The biggest advantage is it's so portable - home, or traveling RV. It would have to be pretty bad for us to go back to ATT DSL.

It isn't a Religion it's just an option, but unlike anything grandfathered - it's available to anyone who wants to try it. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: burgman

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
There's plenty of talk on the Verizon forum of people getting throttled to a crawl after 10GB. I'm not giving up my grandfather unlimited anytime soon.
On being throttled at 10gb of tethering which you have 0 gbs on tethering on your old data plan. People are only throttled after 22gb per line in a congested area. And I'm sorry to tell you if your in a congested area even with your old unlimited plan your gonna get throttled. If the tower can't hold everyone, then people are obviously gonna be throttled regardless. The old plan sucks anyways you have no tethering at all.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007

Me either. I have never been throttled down. I am keeping mine.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Would you guys mind sharing this too? What does the page look like for y'all? Because I've used the hell out of my hotspot, definitely over 10GB but it shows nothing

too funny, not sure if this is some glitch or they really think I haven't used my hotspot

IMG_3350.jpg

Last edited:

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I checked Howardforums.com and found plenty of posts from people who got throttled hard by Verizon after exceeding the cap. Most of them seemed to be on the east coast where apparently towers are shorter on capacity, thus deprioritization kicks in more often and harder. AT&T users on their new unlimited plans generally aren't experiencing much throttling yet, though they just rolled out the plans and may not have put enforcement in place yet, and of course it really depends on the tower load in your area.

Those who were deprioritized by Verizon described the internet as essentially unusable. One guy said he had to borrow his wife's phone (same brand phone on same family plan but had not yet hit its cap) to do a price comparison in a store.

I considered switching from my half-price 30GB/Mo AT&T Mobile Share Value Plan to Unlimited Plus, but decided against it. Even though many are reporting using gobs of data with no impact, the fine print is quite clear and that could change drastically with no warning.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I checked Howardforums.com and found plenty of posts from people who got throttled hard by Verizon after exceeding the cap. Most of them seemed to be on the east coast where apparently towers are shorter on capacity, thus deprioritization kicks in more often and harder. AT&T users on their new unlimited plans generally aren't experiencing much throttling yet, though they just rolled out the plans and may not have put enforcement in place yet, and of course it really depends on the tower load in your area.

Those who were deprioritized by Verizon described the internet as essentially unusable. One guy said he had to borrow his wife's phone (same brand phone on same family plan but had not yet hit its cap) to do a price comparison in a store.

I considered switching from my half-price 30GB/Mo AT&T Mobile Share Value Plan to Unlimited Plus, but decided against it. Even though many are reporting using gobs of data with no impact, the fine print is quite clear and that could change drastically with no warning.
Just depends
I can still get pretty good speeds

For some reason my house out in the middle of nowhere get's half the speeds as before so I have to borrow my mum's phone,
But in populated places I do just fine

Virginia near Richmond & Williamsburg

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Even though many are reporting using gobs of data with no impact, the fine print is quite clear and that could change drastically with no warning.
I still don't see the problem, if it drastically changes with no warning, you are free to drastically change or end your plan with no warning (no contract) - it's quite clear in the LARGE print.

Don't need unlimited? Choose a size that works for you below.

If my gobs of data are ever impacted I can choose a small data plan and almost instantly turn DSL broadband back on.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I still don't see the problem, if it drastically changes with no warning, you are free to drastically change or end your plan with no warning (no contract) - it's quite clear in the LARGE print.

Don't need unlimited? Choose a size that works for you below.

If my gobs of data are ever impacted I can choose a small data plan and almost instantly turn DSL broadband back on.
You are saying after you go over and get throttled in some fashion you could switch to a smaller sized plan and get unthrottled data back right away?

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
You are saying after you go over and get throttled in some fashion you could switch to a smaller sized plan and get unthrottled data back right away?
Yep; with a pro-rated new data limit depending on how many days are left on your billing period. That's the answer I got when I asked Verizon; but I haven't had to test it yet it with 2 months of over 100gb "usable" usage each month.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yep; with a pro-rated new data limit depending on how many days are left on your billing period. That's the answer I got when I asked Verizon; but I haven't had to test it yet it with 2 months of over 100gb "usable" usage each month.
I would think that the actual data you used during your unlimited period of the cycle would also rollover as actual used data in that case and you would be hit with overages. Kind of like if you had a limited plan and didn't use as much data and decided to save some money by switching to a lower plan closer to the end of the cycle, the data you used on the higher plan would still be counted and get rolled over. But, perhaps they are treating unlimited differently somehow in that respect.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Kind of like if you had a limited plan and didn't use as much data and decided to save some money by switching to a lower plan closer to the end of the cycle, the data you used on the higher plan would still be counted and get rolled over. But, perhaps they are treating unlimited differently somehow in that respect.

Nope, your bill and data use are always prorated for both the previous period and the remaining period. You can switch to a lower plan and your bill for the previous portion will be prorated at the unlimited rate with only the remaining period's data prorated (1/2 of unlimited is still unlimited).

At 2 week into your billing period you make the change: you will owe two weeks at the unlimited rate and 2 weeks at the reduced, say 4gb, rate with your new data limit 1/2'd.

4 lines - 50% of $190 unlimited = $95
4 lines - 50% of $130 (4gb rate) = $65

But for your $160 you'd only have 2 new gb of unrestricted speed data for the rest of the billing period (2 weeks).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Nope, your bill and data use are always prorated for both the previous period and the remaining period. You can switch to a lower plan and your bill for the previous portion will be prorated at the unlimited rate with only the remaining period's data prorated (1/2 of unlimited is still unlimited).

At 2 week into your billing period you make the change: you will owe two weeks at the unlimited rate and 2 weeks at the reduced, say 4gb, rate with your new data limit 1/2'd.

4 lines - 50% of $190 unlimited = $95
4 lines - 50% of $130 (4gb rate) = $65

But for your $160 you'd only have 2 new gb of unrestricted speed data for the rest of the billing period (2 weeks).
I guess it depends on if you might backdate the change or not (assuming that's an option), but then again, you probably wouldn't really want to do it in a situation like that.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I guess it depends on if you might backdate the change or not (assuming that's an option), but then again, you probably wouldn't really want to do it in a situation like that.
One of Verizon's strong points for me has always been customer support. I've always easily gotten a real person on the line who understood my problem, what I was trying to do, and came up with a way to do it.

On the flip side it really wouldn't bother me at all if I had to wait a bit for a price check or my streaming took a few seconds to buffer. Many times in a store I can't make a phone call either but I don't run to Howardforums.com as long as my cell met my needs sooner or later.:cool:

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
IMG_0015.PNG
This morning I may have been reprioritized for a minute or two, but right back to speed.

Black05Hemi

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2015

Yes, as I posted earlier in the thread, plenty of people on Verizon forums getting throttled as well. And, not all in big cities, either. Some rural, like myself, out in the middle of nowhere. Just because someone posts about using 100GB without throttling, does not mean everybody can do that without consequences. And, some people don't seem to understand that. Which is why, again, I am keeping my grandfathered unlimited until they decide to take it from me. It's not worth taking the chance, with no getting it back. I wish it were different. I could use a $50 cheaper bill. Oh well. I don't trust them, never will.

Reactions: redman042

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
... And, some people don't seem to understand that. Which is why, again, I am keeping my grandfathered unlimited until they decide to take it from me. It's not worth taking the chance, with no getting it back. I wish it were different. I could use a $50 cheaper bill. Oh well. I don't trust them, never will.
.... and some people just don't seem to understand off-topic thread hijack :p.

You insist on answering an unasked question. This thread very specifically asks for real experience with currently available VERIZON UNLIMITED, not comparison with a grandfathered plan that no longer exists. No one also has recommended that you change your service and I'm pretty sure EVERYONE understands wireless broadband is very location dependent and service can be inconsistent from one second to the next.

So far my experience, both on the road in an RV and at the house in Tampa, has been Verizon Unlimited has met my needs for Internet Streaming with monthly usages well in excess of 100gb; we agree that that could change at any time or any other location :cool:.

Last edited:
Reactions: blaine07

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Yes, as I posted earlier in the thread, plenty of people on Verizon forums getting throttled as well. And, not all in big cities, either. Some rural, like myself, out in the middle of nowhere. Just because someone posts about using 100GB without throttling, does not mean everybody can do that without consequences. And, some people don't seem to understand that. Which is why, again, I am keeping my grandfathered unlimited until they decide to take it from me. It's not worth taking the chance, with no getting it back. I wish it were different. I could use a $50 cheaper bill. Oh well. I don't trust them, never will.
But you get no tethering at all!

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Third month update: 2/3 into cycle, 11 days left. 132gb used, Tampa area, speeds still very usable as household/ streaming hotspot broadband. Don't really know if occasional slow downs are targeted or across the cell but they are momentary.
IMG_0016.PNG

Reactions: Sketchr

Ninthxas

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2017
I live wayyyyy out in rural country and my 4g signal 2 -3 bars. But speed is about 18 down 8-15 up.. so it's not great to begin with. But we are on unlimited data with two kids... on YouTube and downloading tablet games. We get texted by verizon after 3 days of the new moth that speed has reach 10gb and will now be throttled for the rest of the month. Now with our already weak reception we get 1-5 down and .3-.8 up and nothing loads anymore.

And its 290$ a month! We are so fed up! And have no other choice for internet.

We are about to turn Amish and go back to not having internet...

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
I live wayyyyy out in rural country and my 4g signal 2 -3 bars. But speed is about 18 down 8-15 up.. so it's not great to begin with. But we are on unlimited data with two kids... on YouTube and downloading tablet games. We get texted by verizon after 3 days of the new moth that speed has reach 10gb and will now be throttled for the rest of the month. Now with our already weak reception we get 1-5 down and .3-.8 up and nothing loads anymore.

And its 290$ a month! We are so fed up! And have no other choice for internet.

We are about to turn Amish and go back to not having internet...
18 Mbps download is a good speed rate. Not bad. I understand your frustration. The thing you can do now is to control internet usage monthly.

Ninthxas

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2017
18 Mbps download is a good speed rate. Not bad. I understand your frustration. The thing you can do now is to control internet usage monthly.
Yeah but if I drive Into places with full bars its like 30+ for speed,

And I'm on a family line with my cousins.. 90$ for 20 high speed with a cellphone so I don't get why verizon is so expensive for a home line and give so little.

2 adults that watch YouTube do mail and minor games and two kids who do it a lot on their free time.. 10gb is not manageable. If that family plan had a bigger line I'd personally pay the upgrade and just tether, but then the kids would kill my cousins data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.