Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
No throttle here either. Used 180GB on my iPhone and over 420GB on my iPad with the Unlimited Plan. All thru tethering to my MacBook Pro. Im just hoping I didn't jinx myself.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I feel like Unlimited Data Plans will be Gone in 2 Years.

They got Rid of 2 Year Carrier subsidy Contracts gone are the days of paying $200 or $300 for a phone.
Now we are stuck with 18 or 24 Month Contracts paying $35.00? A Month and end up paying $850

Reactions: Applejuiced

Bill2650

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2017
I feel like Unlimited Data Plans will be Gone in 2 Years.

They got Rid of 2 Year Carrier subsidy Contracts gone are the days of paying $200 or $300 for a phone.
Now we are stuck with 18 or 24 Month Contracts paying $35.00? A Month and end up paying $850
We got a midi for our rv 4g worked good after 10 you go to 3g speeds it's totally useless I'm stock for a year and a half, sales person never told me it would drop down to 3g

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Move me into the unusable after 25gb or so after 3 good months camp. They must have sucked enough people in to turn off the spigot. At least it won't cost me anything to go back to wired internet and the 2 or 4 GB monthly cell plan.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I just ended my monthly cell cycle with 221 GB. Most of that was hotspot use (iPhone connected to MBP via Bluetooth) and did not experience any throttling. I have yet to experience any throttling since signing with Verizon. However, I do recognize and accept that it can happen at any time.

In my opinion, many people have the mindset, that if the speed isn't LTE it is worthless. In my opinion, that is not the case. I think many people forget that not that long ago, all of us were always on 3G.

Last edited:
Reactions: upandown

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
In my opinion, many people have the mindset, that if the speed isn't LTE it is worthless. In my opinion, that is not the case. I think many people forget that not that long ago, all of us were always on 3G.
.1 mps in my opinion IS worthless. Just because, not that long ago for some of us, 14kps was all we could get, it doesn't make .1mps any more useful today.

For 4 months I saw steady 3+mps 24/7 using in excess of 100GB per month Verizon Unlimited. Turned off my DSL. For the last 3 weeks I get the worthless .1 mps or less from around 8PM to midnight and Verizon says that's due to tower prioritization. Went back to 4GB data plan from Verizon unlimited and turned DSL BACK ON.

Last edited:

D3CAF

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2017
Side question- your hotspot data used counts toward your 22gb priority data, right? It's not separate, correct?

hydrofarmer

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2017
Be carful all. I do not have access to normal internet service where I live so I go way over 15 gb for tethering as I have a second line brdged to a home router as a dedicated internet service at my home for TV watching / streaming, computers, gaming, security system etc. I am on the unlimited plan and am now experiencing throttling for tethering after months of not being throttled to 600kbps. It just randomly started this week. In past months I could go into the hundreds of gb without throttle. I do know there is a some code work floating around on the web that you can apply to a rooted phone so it doesn't tag the data as tether data. I am going to look into that.

54kahuna

Suspended
Sep 27, 2017
I purposefully used way over 10 GB of tether data to see if Verizon had in fact a "hard cap" on the mobile hotspot. So far, I've used about 15GB of tethering and my speeds haven't slowed down a bit. Maybe they put that wording in just to deter people from using the hotspot as their home ISP?
[doublepost=1506516663][/doublepost]I too exceeded 15 gig limit on Verizon hotspot. Not only did it slow down, I can’t get consistent speed. It goes from +-800 to zero kbps. Called Verizon and got runaround. This all started yesterday Sept 26. On Verizon app I get the message that my speed will be “reduced up to 600kbps”. Not happy with Verizon at all.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
[doublepost=1506516663][/doublepost]
I too exceeded 15 gig limit on Verizon hotspot. Not only did it slow down, I can’t get consistent speed. It goes from +-800 to zero kbps. Called Verizon and got runaround. This all started yesterday Sept 26. On Verizon app I get the message that my speed will be “reduced up to 600kbps”. Not happy with Verizon at all.
Why aren't you happy with Verizon? They clearly advertise the hotspot is 15GB at LTE speeds then unlimited at up to 600Kbps...

Be carful all. I do not have access to normal internet service where I live so I go way over 15 gb for tethering as I have a second line brdged to a home router as a dedicated internet service at my home for TV watching / streaming, computers, gaming, security system etc. I am on the unlimited plan and am now experiencing throttling for tethering after months of not being throttled to 600kbps. It just randomly started this week. In past months I could go into the hundreds of gb without throttle. I do know there is a some code work floating around on the web that you can apply to a rooted phone so it doesn't tag the data as tether data. I am going to look into that.
You were just lucky it didn't count at first, you knew when signing up that you were only guaranteed 10GB, which was bumped up to 15GB.

Phillyphil0302

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
NYC
What are y’all speeds of devices being hot spotted? I’m barely averaging around 3 down and 1 up on my 12.9 iPad Pro 2nd gen thru my iPhone 6s

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Why aren't you happy with Verizon? You were just lucky it didn't count at first, you knew when signing up that you were only guaranteed 10GB, which was bumped up to 15GB.

You’re certainly missing the point of the whole discussion. It’s not a matter of not being happy with Verizon, it’s a discussion about one aspect of an offered data limit that can be changed at any time by the customer.

One can select the data program one wants with several different limits at any time and change it back and forth also at any time. Experience will be different over different times and locations, and the limits are still evolving and changing. I’ve personally gone back and forth betweeen unlimited, 8gb, and 2gb several times in the last 6 months depending on our travels.

hydrofarmer

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2017
Why aren't you happy with Verizon? They clearly advertise the hotspot is 15GB at LTE speeds then unlimited at up to 600Kbps...

You were just lucky it didn't count at first, you knew when signing up that you were only guaranteed 10GB, which was bumped up to 15GB.
Jeff - because when the rep told me about all of this when they change my plan from grandfathered. (they basicallyforced me) all they did was tell me it would prioritize. Nothing about tethering being any different. I actually made sure I wasn't crazy and went back to listen to the recorded call.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Jeff - because when the rep told me about all of this when they change my plan from grandfathered. (they basicallyforced me) all they did was tell me it would prioritize. Nothing about tethering being any different. I actually made sure I wasn't crazy and went back to listen to the recorded call.
Ah, that sucks but is a good reminder for you to read the terms yourself and not rely on what a rep says. It's like a car salesman, you can listen to what they say without making sure for yourself.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012

Yes it clearly states 15GB then throttle.

hydrofarmer

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2017
Ah, that sucks but is a good reminder for you to read the terms yourself and not rely on what a rep says. It's like a car salesman, you can listen to what they say without making sure for yourself.
I let Verizon know I had the call of them telling me only prioritization and not throttling and they offered to put me back on the old truly unlimited grandfathered plan but it's like almost another 100 bucks a month. Now there is a work around so screw it lol.

Oh and sorry bout the name misspelling I was using voice text and didn't notice until seeing your reply just now. Geoff...

hydrofarmer

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2017
Not anymore lol...
c8357e0b946b39608ec996056e87aff1.jpg

hydrofarmer

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2017
What are y’all speeds of devices being hot spotted? I’m barely averaging around 3 down and 1 up on my 12.9 iPad Pro 2nd gen thru my iPhone 6s
I could do with some better latency for gaming but for a hotspot bridged to a home router I can't complain.
a5f5b3d0bfa56f3d7e46c3392dff2540.jpg

hydrofarmer

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2017
Recorded call. I was lied too. But i have a free pass back to grandfathered but now don't need it. Like I said there's is a work around on Android. I'm in the country so I can use all I want. Not enough demand prr tower to ever prioritize

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I could do with some better latency for gaming but for a hotspot bridged to a home router I can't complain.
a5f5b3d0bfa56f3d7e46c3392dff2540.jpg
Those speeds are awesome
[doublepost=1506735702][/doublepost]
Recorded call. I was lied too. But i have a free pass back to grandfathered but now don't need it. Like I said there's is a work around on Android. I'm in the country so I can use all I want. Not enough demand prr tower to ever prioritize

Work around on Android? Can you share? I also live in the middle of nowhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.