Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
Check this one Ventura bugs: 35 pages
Beta Bugs interesting........

I used Ventura as a Parallel Install in the Beta Phase and Productive since first Public with no Problems on my MBA M2 and on the Hackintosh ( well i have a Sonoma Beta on the Hacky now for sure ).

Most Problems are 30cm in Front of the Mac........
And i do not use Fancy Tools that mess up the underlying Unix BSD.

As with all Major MacOS Updates there are some Softwares that do not keep up or having you Pay for a working Update with a new MacOS Release. But thats a different Story.

ldjpy

macrumors member
May 3, 2023
How many of these bugs are resolved as of Aug. 4, 2023?

I have not seen a bug tracking sheet.

For my 2018 Intel MacMini, the most significant bug was the sudden problem with ultra-wide Dell 49" U4919DW monitor (ref link https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/U4919DW-macOS-Ventura-not-working/m-p/8325989#M145213). It turns out the external display bug affected many monitor models, and from many Mac models (including silicon). The work around 'worked', but it was needed at each boot (annoying) and the suspicion remained when it will stop working. And it depended upon connection method, initially USB-C -to- HDMI [MacMini -to- Display] worked well with Monterey, Ventura update hit that bug, the work around only worked with USB-C -to- DisplayPort.

Taking a chance on 13.5 update was a gamble that worked, I don't have the kalaidescope display problems anymore and the proper resolution default is supported again.

For my 2017 Intel MacBook 12" Retina, the observed issues were mainly inconsistent network interface stability (network did not appear to be communicating - lost sync with iCloud, unable to connect to other Macs), very slow Safari performance, and a sluggishness of the operating system. But the significant issue came from the Rapid Security Response updates.

What issues are you facing and have you updated to Ventura 13.5 to see if those issues are resolved ?

MYZ

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2021
Canada
I have not seen a bug tracking sheet.

For my 2018 Intel MacMini, the most significant bug was the sudden problem with ultra-wide Dell 49" U4919DW monitor (ref link https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/U4919DW-macOS-Ventura-not-working/m-p/8325989#M145213). It turns out the external display bug affected many monitor models, and from many Mac models (including silicon). The work around 'worked', but it was needed at each boot (annoying) and the suspicion remained when it will stop working. And it depended upon connection method, initially USB-C -to- HDMI [MacMini -to- Display] worked well with Monterey, Ventura update hit that bug, the work around only worked with USB-C -to- DisplayPort.

Taking a chance on 13.5 update was a gamble that worked, I don't have the kalaidescope display problems anymore and the proper resolution default is supported again.

For my 2017 Intel MacBook 12" Retina, the observed issues were mainly inconsistent network interface stability (network did not appear to be communicating - lost sync with iCloud, unable to connect to other Macs), very slow Safari performance, and a sluggishness of the operating system. But the significant issue came from the Rapid Security Response updates.

What issues are you facing and have you updated to Ventura 13.5 to see if those issues are resolved ?
Oh I'm not using Ventura, I'm just curious if most of the issues have been resolved or not by now, since it's a over year after the last beta.

Schnauzer World

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2018
Not a huge bug, but Reminders is bugged too, click Scheduled, the plus sign is missing and you have a circle of dots instead. Monterey shows a plus sign. Reminders in iOS is the same, circle of dots.

Reactions: vjl323 and MYZ

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Not a huge bug, but Reminders is bugged too, click Scheduled, the plus sign is missing and you have a circle of dots instead. Monterey shows a plus sign. Reminders in iOS is the same, circle of dots.
And this is how bugs end up not getting fixed, because they aren't consistent. Neither of those things happen on my devices: Mac M1 Studio Max running 13.5 and an iPhone 13 running 16.5.1. This is one of the vagaries of Android and Windows that the Apple ecosystem supposedly eliminates, because Apple makes the hardware and the firmware so the quantity of different permutations is a precise known for them.

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
And this is how bugs end up not getting fixed, because they aren't consistent. Neither of those things happen on my devices: Mac M1 Studio Max running 13.5 and an iPhone 13 running 16.5.1. This is one of the vagaries of Android and Windows that the Apple ecosystem supposedly eliminates, because Apple makes the hardware and the firmware so the quantity of different permutations is a precise known for them.
For me, macOS 13.5 - the plus is displayed in Scheduled, on my M2 Studio. On my iOS 16.6 13 mini, the three dots appear for scheduled instead. Sigh.

Reactions: MajorFubar

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I have, sigh, Ventura 13.4.1c and I see the + sign in Scheduled and everywhere
In iOS 16 I have the circle of dots everywhere: 🙄 the + sign would be more useful

ldjpy

macrumors member
May 3, 2023
I took a chance, updated my 2018 MacMini to 13.5 and can say that external display to my 49" ultra-wide Dell U4919DW monitor works fine (USB-C to DP cable), and also no issues encountered with the two old 20" wide flat-panel displays on either side of the ultra-wide.

Keeping my fingers crossed it stays working as it is supposed to.

On closer observation, my 2018 MacMini updated to MacOS Ventura 13.5.1 is not "working fine" with my 49" ultra-wide Dell U4919DW monitor; for some bizarre reason Ventura does not recognize the default resolution to be 5120x1440 (it thinks the default resolution is 2560x720).
So that means Ventura is most likely doing some scaling and thus not displaying as optimal natural resolution.

Dell's manual clearly states the U4919DW native resolution is 5120x1440 and Monterey clearly recognized it to be that as well - only Ventura seems to have gone backwards in time to when ultra-wide displays didn't exist yet.

Screenshot-20230818_Dell-U4919DW.png

And . . . I just don't understand why Apple insists to force MacOS to use System Settings that is formatted for the physically much smaller iPhone display size - on the Mac it won't even resize horizontally !
At least the previous System Preferences took advantage of the Mac's much larger physical display size to make it much easier to see all the configurations and navigate efficiently.
This System Settings is just completely unintuitive on the Mac.

MacHeritage

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
And . . . I just don't understand why Apple insists to force MacOS to use System Settings that is formatted for the physically much smaller iPhone display size - on the Mac it won't even resize horizontally !
At least the previous System Preferences took advantage of the Mac's much larger physical display size to make it much easier to see all the configurations and navigate efficiently.
This System Settings is just completely unintuitive on the Mac.
I really, really, really agree with you. I had to help a friend on Ventura today and that was a horrible System Settings experience. System Preferences is 100x better in every way. Makes no sense for the Mac. I sure hope people are leaving a ton of feedback directly to Apple about that!

fivenotrump

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Central England
I really, really, really agree with you. I had to help a friend on Ventura today and that was a horrible System Settings experience. System Preferences is 100x better in every way. Makes no sense for the Mac. I sure hope people are leaving a ton of feedback directly to Apple about that!
I prefer System Settings: not perfect by any means, but an improvement in my view.

Reactions: Ben J.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011

I like the idea of a searchable table of contents on the left and the settings off to the right. But, Apple really failed horribly in execution. There are too many bugs and usability issues.

ldjpy

macrumors member
May 3, 2023
I accidentally opened Safari's Settings instead of MacOS System Settings and saw the older 'System Preferences' layout structure and thought for a brief second that 13.5.2 had enabled that Preference - a momentary relapse of reason.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Man reading all the recent posts I'm really glad I downgraded back to Monterey. The old System Preferences is vastly better it's not even close.

TitusVorenus

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
I'm not a quick upgrader, but I have some time today to upgrade to Ventura from Monterey (12.6.8). Have a 14in 2021 MBP with M1 chip and 32gb ram.

I don't use a lot of the stuff that I saw advertised (music, media, etc), just primarily browsing, file mgmt, Thinkorswim trading software, MS office suite.

Is it worth upgrading, or is it a frustrating experience with no real benefit? Asking because I usually wait long to upgrade, and I find some 3rd party software stops working until I get forced to upgrade 1-2 releases down the line, then it's a huge cluster****.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I'm not a quick upgrader, but I have some time today to upgrade to Ventura from Monterey (12.6.8). Have a 14in 2021 MBP with M1 chip and 32gb ram.

I don't use a lot of the stuff that I saw advertised (music, media, etc), just primarily browsing, file mgmt, Thinkorswim trading software, MS office suite.

Is it worth upgrading, or is it a frustrating experience with no real benefit? Asking because I usually wait long to upgrade, and I find some 3rd party software stops working until I get forced to upgrade 1-2 releases down the line, then it's a huge cluster****.
I see you're getting no replies, so I'll give you my input:
If you don't have a specific reason to go from Monterey to Ventura, then no; you're not missing out on anything. Simple as that.

ldjpy

macrumors member
May 3, 2023
Ventura is perfectly fine

Ha?

Screenshot-20230912_Dell-U4919DW_MacOS-13-5-2-DisplaySettingResolutionDefault.png

This Dell U4919DW default resolution is 5120x1440 (see User Guide on left in above image).
  • Monterey had that correctly.
  • Since Ventura 13.2 it did not support that resolution, then only as low resolution, then a lot of tweaking and work-arounds to get it to finally show in native resolution (each reboot required tweaking) . . .
  • But still Ventura 13.5.2 does not recognize 5120x1440 as the default resolution (see System Settings on right side in above image).
  • And this problem is not only for the Dell U4919DW, but also other 49 inch ultra-wide models from Samsung etc also had this problem.
And that is not the only Ventura issue out there. But this is special for me, since I got this 49 inch ultra-wide and never expected that Apple MacOS Ventura would end up unable to support a display that has been around for years and fully supported without even a hiccup in Monterey.

I have been using Mac OS X since it first came out at the beginning of this millennium, being a BSD unix sysadm in the past I preferred OS X versus OS 9 and never looked back. Not once have I had any serious problems with a newly released OS X nor MacOS 11 onwards . . . until Ventura.

From Apple's perspective, Ventura represents a significant OS architecture change, as much of the code to support older hardware has been removed to streamline 'lighten' the system code base. Obviously the code was not as cleanly made as envisioned and some fundamental functionalities got truncated or inadvertently removed that regression testing didn't catch.

MacOS Sonoma will go even further in removing hardware code, and eventually all Intel hardware code will be removed in a few years. At that point hopefully Apple will be able to sort out the serious flaws affecting silicon based hardware as well.

Monterey is probably the last MacOS to comprehensivley support both Intel and silicon, while Ventura is best considered a first-step transitional MacOS distancing Intel hardware.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing Ventura, I am just reacting to the statement 'Ventura is perfectly fine', since it is not, and hoping that it will eventually do what it is supposed to do and do it well.

Sorry for the long irritating post.

Last edited:

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Recently update to Ventura from Monterey (clean wipe new install) as my full time OS. I tested it out when it was first released on a test disk and from there I've always though it was better then Monterey, I don't have any particular way to quantify why, mostly it just felt right. Monterey to me felt like High Sierra, that release where Apple implemented some new stuff but it wasn't quite right (AFPS), and the next release fixed all that, this is what Venture seems to me.

Most things are working well. Finder, volumes, network mounts, all my apps, menu items, and all feels responsive and normal or a bit better then Monterey.

The systems settings are a bit of a hot mess. Not sure what Apple is doing here. The visual interface of it is fine, just how they have organized all the parts doesn't quite make sense. And if anything this is the buggiest part of the OS. I've had to close and open SS because it wouldn't allow you to select anything. Like it half works. Some settings don't stay, upon reboot it forgets stuff. Going back in again solves it apparently or do one setting close, open again.

Other then that it seems good to me, which is why I updated, Monterey just didn't seem right too many pausing, and sluggishness.

Reactions: shafez

greyeyezz

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2017
Other than some Logitech mouse buggyness and external drives being hard to eject at times everything is working fine 3 weeks in.

Don't mind system settings it's no more of a mess than the other thing, I find it actually easier to navigate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.