Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
reinstalling the operating system is pointless (with Ventura and subsequent) as it read only and can never be corrupted.

A full disk wipe and reinstall will also wipe system ephemeral files such as caches, as well as any user installed extensions, drivers, launch daemons, etc. There is more to the system than just the OS executables which, indeed, are not modifiable.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Can't even send text from an email via iMessage today !!!!

It's official ; Ventura is UTTER crap

I'm starting to believe they've got windows programmers infiltrating the mac to screw it up , seems that way lately

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: fisherking

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Can't even send text from an email via iMessage today !!!!

It's official ; Ventura is UTTER crap

I'm starting to believe they've got windows programmers infiltrating the mac to screw it up , seems that way lately
can you give us more info on what's happening? you're cutting & pasting text from an email into messages? (works here). ventura is "UTTER crap" because you have that issue? 🙄

anyway, details always help...

Reactions: osplo

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
On my Intel MBP 2020, I have the option to allow booting off USB drives if I go into Recovery, then go into the Startup Security utility. I believe this also applies to M1/M2 Macs.
Also if you put in "csrutil disable" in the recoveryOS Terminal, you can disable all boot restrictions. But, you lose the ablity to launch iOS apps. (don't ask me why) You can just pick one of the normal security options in recoveryOS to reenable it.

Last edited:

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
it's this way with every OS release; people complaining how 'apple has fallen off', 'worst OS ever'... a lot of the sky is falling posts. my theory is... with the next OS, people who hated ventura will be remembering how good it was... 🤣
There is the chance that it's because each OS version is worse than the last. "Better" is often remembered as "good". The last release would always be the worst ever.

Depending on how one uses the OS, they'll notice varying degrees of degradation. It just depends on the the kind of bugs you trip over. (They might instead notice improvement, if bugs important to them are fixed.) I don't recall much degradation during the transition between previous OS versions. But this time around, it's startling how drastic it is. I would be tempted to say that this is the worst MacOS ever in terms of bugs and general reliability.

The thing about bugs, if someone doesn't encounter them, they might think they don't exist. For example, if most of the time is spent using non-Apple software, the OS can seem pretty bug free.

Consider the recent bug I reported on this thread - that restore in TimeMachine doesn't work correctly. That outrageous bug is evidence that a post like "Ventura is fine; I'm not having any issues" needs to be reconsidered. Saying everything is fine, without adding ones voice and expressing dismay at such a bug, is a disservice. The bar only goes as low as people let it go. People who report bugs and complain about them are helping. People who complain about people complaining are hurting.

Consider another bug. Imagine someone on an earlier release of Ventura who set stealth on in System Settings because they were connecting to an untrusted network. They were just hit with a major bug and never knew it - stealth didn't turn on. Such a person reporting everything was fine in the OS back then meant that they failed badly in their responsibility of due diligence. It's kind of user feedback malpractice.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
There is the chance that it's because each OS version is worse than the last. "Better" is often remembered as "good". The last release would always be the worst ever.

Depending on how one uses the OS, they'll notice varying degrees of degradation. It just depends on the the kind of bugs you trip over. (They might instead notice improvement, if bugs important to them are fixed.) I don't recall much degradation during the transition between previous OS versions. But this time around, it's startling how drastic it is. I would be tempted to say that this is the worst MacOS ever in terms of bugs and general reliability.

The thing about bugs, if someone doesn't encounter them, they might think they don't exist. For example, if most of the time is spent using non-Apple software, the OS can seem pretty bug free.

Consider the recent bug I reported on this thread - that restore in TimeMachine doesn't work correctly. That outrageous bug is evidence that a post like "Ventura is fine; I'm not having any issues" needs to be reconsidered. Saying everything is fine, without adding ones voice and expressing dismay at such a bug, is a disservice. The bar only goes as low as people let it go. People who report bugs and complain about them are helping. People who complain about people complaining are hurting.

Consider another bug. Imagine someone on an earlier release of Ventura who set stealth on in System Settings because they were connecting to an untrusted network. They were just hit with a major bug and never knew it - stealth didn't turn on. Such a person reporting everything was fine in the OS back then meant that they failed badly in their responsibility of due diligence. It's kind of user feedback malpractice.
every version of every OS has bugs. i've been thru quite a lot of them. but in the present moment, everything is working beautifully here, and some of the issues i experienced on earlier betas have been resolved.

this does not in any way fix things for those who have issues. it is, like your own posts, my singular observations and thoughts; nothing more or less. but i think it's absurd to think that mac OS development is a simple downhill slope, and not a road filled with peaks and dips. and, either way, nothing changes the moment i am enjoying on my macs, in ventura, right now.

Reactions: gerinho

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
but i think it's absurd to think that mac OS development is a simple downhill slope
It's not absurd; it's plausible.

When software increases in complexity, the number of bugs usually goes up. Handling that increase requires quite a bit of discipline. The obvious bugs that Apple misses tell me that its developers don't have that discipline (not even close).

Apple saw things getting out of hand and stepped back with Snow Leopard. I don't think they've done that since then and the technical debt in their codebase is probably quite large by now.

There will be peaks and valleys, but the general slope is probably downwards. I would love to see Apple turn it around and repeat what they did with Snow Leopard - provide a full OS release dedicated to addressing bugs.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
It's not absurd; it's plausible.

When software increases in complexity, the number of bugs usually goes up. Handling that increase requires quite a bit of discipline. The obvious bugs that Apple misses tell me that its developers don't have that discipline (not even close).

Apple saw things getting out of hand and stepped back with Snow Leopard. I don't think they've done that since then and the technical debt in their codebase is probably quite large by now.

There will be peaks and valleys, but the general slope is probably downwards. I would love to see Apple turn it around and repeat what they did with Snow Leopard - provide a full OS release dedicated to addressing bugs.
i hear your opinions, and respect your right to them. but, just opinions (like my own... which i also stand by...)

Reactions: svenmany

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
And yet another bug in System Settings. I hit the little minus sign to delete a DNS entry on my wireless interface. The popup crashed and closed. Then the "Details..." button became disabled. Right at the moment I'm annoyed, so in the heat of passion I'll say "This stuff is absolute crap. Apple should be embarrassed for releasing alpha-level software. It's not just a pile of poo; it's a steaming mountain." In an hour, once I'm over it, I'll regret the hyperbole.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
And yet another bug in System Settings. I hit the little minus sign to delete a DNS entry on my wireless interface. The popup crashed and closed. Then the "Details..." button became disabled. Right at the moment I'm annoyed, so in the heat of passion I'll say "This stuff is absolute crap. Apple should be embarrassed for releasing alpha-level software. It's not just a pile of poo; it's a steaming mountain." In an hour, once I'm over it, I'll regret the hyperbole.
another bug? so there's 2 bugs..? 🤣 does it crash if you try again? (ie, is it a bug, or just a buggy moment...).

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
another bug? so there's 2 bugs..? 🤣 does it crash if you try again? (ie, is it a bug, or just a buggy moment...).
LOL - oops. I've fallen into the trap of thinking that people have read other posts I've made reporting bugs about the System Preferences. I've found a bunch. I'm not as mad now since I've had a nice cool drink since then.

But yeah, maybe just a buggy moment. That's a more annoying kind of bug since it might happen only now and again. That kind of bug is hard to reproduce on a call with Apple support.

But that "Details" button and its popup on the Wi-Fi entry in the Network section is trouble; three bugs there that I can remember. Disable/reenable Wi-Fi causes the button to stop working. You can enter crap for a DNS server - potentially crashing your machine. And now this new issue.

johnsawyercjs

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2007
AI will come to the rescue. I'm sure of it!

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015

every version of every OS has bugs. i've been thru quite a lot of them. but in the present moment, everything is working beautifully here, and some of the issues i experienced on earlier betas have been resolved.

this does not in any way fix things for those who have issues. it is, like your own posts, my singular observations and thoughts; nothing more or less. but i think it's absurd to think that mac OS development is a simple downhill slope, and not a road filled with peaks and dips. and, either way, nothing changes the moment i am enjoying on my macs, in ventura, right now.
My own thoughts: I believe a big reason people think the new OS is worse than the previous one is that they're moving from X.6 or X.7 to (X+1).1, i.e., going from one that has been fully in the wild for a year and gone through a slew of bug fixes to one that's just been released from beta. Yes, sometimes a later version of an OS can introduce a bug, and sometimes there's a bug that's unfixable in X that is fixed in X+1. But, on average, the bugs do get cleaned up, such that the last version is a big improvement over the first--so much so that the last version of X is generally cleaner than the first version of X+1.

That's why I don't generally upgrade until later in the cycle--and even then only after testing the new OS on a separate partition.

ldjpy

macrumors member
May 3, 2023
Well, my guess is that preparations for Vision Pro at WWDC this past week, in particular getting visionOS ready, siphoned a lot of MacOS talent away from Ventura development and maintenance for these many past months.

Now I hope Apple will let them get back and make MacOS 13.5 a reliable release for the remaining life of many Intel Macs that will not be supported by MacOS 14 Sonoma. The awesome Intel 12" MacBook deserves an equivalent final MacOS version.

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
every version of every OS has bugs
Because they have to reinvent the wheel every year. And why do they have to reinvent the wheel every year? Why else how do they sell the same damn phone every year? And from that damn phone comes everything else: 3 or 4 generations of the gyroscope from the Watch S4 to S8/Ultra, why then if the useful sensors (glucose in the blood) do not put them? To enter the “in case you overhang with the car the watch saves you”?
Apple has obvious limitations in engineering and programming, but for decades now, not since yesterday. They focus on the product that produces the most receipts and the rest goes to the swamp, they dislodged it precisely to make it compatible with that phone toilet to which every 4 years they change something just to change it: TouchID on several iPads and Macs, FaceID on iPhone X; Notch on Mac, DI on iPhone; OLED screens on Watch and iPhone, LCD on iPad and Mac;On Apple Watch they changed 3 times, 3 times, the function of the button !! But how do you break your HIGs every 3 years?!
Is it possible that as soon as users learn how to use a feature they have to change it to show that they are doing something when in reality they are doing nothing (just damage) other than trying to sell the same product every year?!
They are saved just for Apple Silicon, for now, until systemic bugs come out like for Intel.
So much so that the only hope left is that the toy they showed will become the core business of the company and suddenly cancel everything else, so they can focus on making 1 product, but maybe do it decently. And no, that the competition is worse is not a justification.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Because they have to reinvent the wheel every year. And why do they have to reinvent the wheel every year? Why else how do they sell the same damn phone every year? And from that damn phone comes everything else: 3 or 4 generations of the gyroscope from the Watch S4 to S8/Ultra, why then if the useful sensors (glucose in the blood) do not put them? To enter the “in case you overhang with the car the watch saves you”?
Apple has obvious limitations in engineering and programming, but for decades now, not since yesterday. They focus on the product that produces the most receipts and the rest goes to the swamp, they dislodged it precisely to make it compatible with that phone toilet to which every 4 years they change something just to change it: TouchID on several iPads and Macs, FaceID on iPhone X; Notch on Mac, DI on iPhone; OLED screens on Watch and iPhone, LCD on iPad and Mac;On Apple Watch they changed 3 times, 3 times, the function of the button !! But how do you break your HIGs every 3 years?!
Is it possible that as soon as users learn how to use a feature they have to change it to show that they are doing something when in reality they are doing nothing (just damage) other than trying to sell the same product every year?!
They are saved just for Apple Silicon, for now, until systemic bugs come out like for Intel.
So much so that the only hope left is that the toy they showed will become the core business of the company and suddenly cancel everything else, so they can focus on making 1 product, but maybe do it decently. And no, that the competition is worse is not a justification.
love these ungrounded hysterical rants. 'reinvent the wheel'? they're building on what's come before, it's forward motion, not a re-invention. and you don't have to upgrade your OS just because a new one is out.

'obvious limitations in engineering and programming'? they invent everything, so, literally, it's the opposite of that.

and since this is all new territory, there's no way to know where all the bugs are until people actually use an OS; hence the beta program. remember, there are millions of macs out there, with different configurations, processors; different apps, settings, customizations.

anyway, i have moved on to the sonoma forum, but it's still fun to read these things (or sad... or both).

• Love
Reactions: PlayUltimate

MYZ

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2021
Canada
Is there a compilation list of all known bugs in Ventura? And/or a list of what has been confirmed to be fixed in the patches since release?

ldjpy

macrumors member
May 3, 2023
Is there a compilation list of all known bugs in Ventura? And/or a list of what has been confirmed to be fixed in the patches since release?
If there is, I would definitely like to see it too !

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
If there is, I would definitely like to see it too !

One thing that I liked about working in the open source world was that everything was public. The entire world could see the bug list. And, if you really wanted to, you could work on the bug yourself in case nobody else wanted to (or had the time) to work on it.

ldjpy

macrumors member
May 3, 2023
One thing that I liked about working in the open source world was that everything was public. The entire world could see the bug list. And, if you really wanted to, you could work on the bug yourself in case nobody else wanted to (or had the time) to work on it.

Maybe some Darwin forums might have revealing bug fix lists.

ldjpy

macrumors member
May 3, 2023
I took a chance, updated my 2018 MacMini to 13.5 and can say that external display to my 49" ultra-wide Dell U4919DW monitor works fine (USB-C to DP cable), and also no issues encountered with the two old 20" wide flat-panel displays on either side of the ultra-wide.

Keeping my fingers crossed it stays working as it is supposed to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.