Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
XPS is good only for windows users. If you never had an iphone and mac, and you use in daily life something like samsung s series, then definitely dell xps is a good laptop.
But i am comparing my 2011 dell xps with 2012 MBP - and mbp looks like new and worked through without a problem. Now it has 5 hour battery life(7-8 hours new). My Dell after 5 years holding now 2 hours instead of previous 7.30.
Dell has a lot of minor problems, so if you love digging in repairs, it will give you nearly perfect experience. Except design estate, since it scratches easily.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
but this makes sense doesn't it?

I thought the rumour was both a 13" and 14" model this year

13" MBP update internals (Ice Lake) with scissor keys in June at WWDC

14" thinner bezel display with micro LED display in late fall alongside 16" refresh (Tiger Lake)

To me this lines up
I doubt any MacBook will get tiger lake this year and maybe ever. If the rumours are true I think they’ll get ice/comet lake and then switch to ARM. Maybe the Pros will continue to receive intel but I thought ARM was going to come in fairly quickly from next year

Reactions: Falhófnir

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
but this makes sense doesn't it?

I thought the rumour was both a 13" and 14" model this year

13" MBP update internals (Ice Lake) with scissor keys in June at WWDC

14" thinner bezel display with micro LED display in late fall alongside 16" refresh (Tiger Lake)

To me this lines up
No, it doesn't make any sense. Why even waste resources on a 13-inch when a 14-inch will be released a few months after? Apple's logic seems to have gone out the window.

Reactions: SvenLorenz1975

rbfinch2

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
The way he worded it seemed like a possibility of the 14...I hope Apple does this and releases the refresh. I've been waiting forever lol.

dapa0s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2019
The XPS 13 does have a bigger screen (16:9 13.3" to 16:10 13.4") and a smaller body...

Hate to be that guy, but I love using this site.

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 00.26.29.png

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
The way he worded it seemed like a possibility of the 14...I hope Apple does this and releases the refresh. I've been waiting forever lol.
I’d be gutted if it wasn’t a 14”. If that happened I’d be wanting the 14” Mini Led Model to be released in September. I do think if the MacBook Pro gets a mention at WWDC Mini Led could be a factor because there’s no point in featuring a MacBook Pro that has only received a processor bump

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium

This is probably just a photo of the current 13" but I would really like it if they split off the escape and power/touchid keys from the touchbar. It's a gigantic leap in ergonomics. If they don't, that + Windows laptops getting the AMD 4900HS are a serious reason for me to look outside the mac offering. But I'm hopeful and I have time. Looking to see what the situation will be in summer. Even if the new machines are announced only at wwdc, I will have seen reviews before I order.

stlow

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2020
My current machine is the unibody MBP Late 2011 that I upgraded to 16GB RAM and an SSD. I am so hyped to buy a new one this year. And I keep looking into this thread like once an hour, I‘m just so excited for the (hopefully) 14‘‘ MBP to drop.
Have a nice Sunday everyone!

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
This is probably just a photo of the current 13" but I would really like it if they split off the escape and power/touchid keys from the touchbar. It's a gigantic leap in ergonomics. If they don't, that + Windows laptops getting the AMD 4900HS are a serious reason for me to look outside the mac offering. But I'm hopeful and I have time. Looking to see what the situation will be in summer. Even if the new machines are announced only at wwdc, I will have seen reviews before I order.
It would be strange if they didn't given that's how the new KB is designed on the 16", it should be more or less exactly the same as that.

Reactions: PeterJP

thimplicity

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
Holy **** did you get access to an internal build of the site or something?!

Get this to Reddit and the rumor sites STAT!

pretty much, it is also an ad for the systemwide integration of handwriting recognition Coming in iOS 14.

I really should work in marketing ?

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Did I miss something? Why is everybody now thinking that the MacBook Pro will start at 1499$? Do people think that apple will abandon the 128 go storage optician and therefore price the MacBook higher than 2019?
Some are thinking that because the Air has been updated with Quad Core options that there is no point in the base model pro and that there should be one model starting at £1499 with 4TB, Dual Fan, 28W design. This would make it cheaper than the current £1799 price but only by £100 if it starts at 256/8.

christcc2

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2020
I'll be happy with the 13" being updated with the new keyboard and 10th gen processors, plus an increase in standard SSD storage. Hopefully the thermal debacle on the 2020 MBA won't be an issue on the updated 13" MBP for 2020.

awesomedeluxe

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
I do think if the 13” is coming soon then it must be the four core 28W Ice Lake part. I would be less bullish about seeing an ARMbook now that the Air is here with Ice Lake parts; the Air was always a much better candidate for an A series processor than the MBP13.

The ARMbook could still happen in 2021 with an A14X. Or maybe Apple will just keep bringing the iPad closer and closer to being their ARMbook.

involuntarheely

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2019
I do think if the 13” is coming soon then it must be the four core 28W Ice Lake part. I would be less bullish about seeing an ARMbook now that the Air is here with Ice Lake parts; the Air was always a much better candidate for an A series processor than the MBP13.

The ARMbook could still happen in 2021 with an A14X. Or maybe Apple will just keep bringing the iPad closer and closer to being their ARMbook.

yeah to be honest it seems to me like macOS development is not as high priority as iOS/ipadOS for Apple. I'm not sure about how much profits macbooks bring to Apple compared to iphones/ipads. so while I agree it would make sense for Apple to use their own ARM chips on new macbooks, it will also require significant investment on the software part. which, given how Catalina is being developed, is not a given.
would you trust a first-generation ARM macbook on a first-generation ARM macOS? Apple can't even fix the bugs in macOS now, I have little confidence they could make the transition very smooth. it would take a year at least.

on the other hand bringing more and more desktop features to ipadOS seems like a clear win. the need for a Macbook Air in the future might just disappear given that ipads will be more and more powerful and feature-rich.
even now, with the bad heating issues, most people recomment the macbook Air for those who mostly want to do web browsing, word processing, simple stuff. but you can already do most of this stuff on an ipad. now imagine ipadOS in 2 years: I'm betting it will be possible to do more and more. and fewer people will actually really need macOS.

if I had $100mil to spend on either development of ipadOS or porting macOS to ARM, I'd definitely spend them on developing ipadOS. intel processors suck? bring AMD to macbooks.

Reactions: awesomedeluxe

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
yeah to be honest it seems to me like macOS development is not as high priority as iOS/ipadOS for Apple. I'm not sure about how much profits macbooks bring to Apple compared to iphones/ipads. so while I agree it would make sense for Apple to use their own ARM chips on new macbooks, it will also require significant investment on the software part. which, given how Catalina is being developed, is not a given.
would you trust a first-generation ARM macbook on a first-generation ARM macOS? Apple can't even fix the bugs in macOS now, I have little confidence they could make the transition very smooth. it would take a year at least.

on the other hand bringing more and more desktop features to ipadOS seems like a clear win. the need for a Macbook Air in the future might just disappear given that ipads will be more and more powerful and feature-rich.
even now, with the bad heating issues, most people recomment the macbook Air for those who mostly want to do web browsing, word processing, simple stuff. but you can already do most of this stuff on an ipad. now imagine ipadOS in 2 years: I'm betting it will be possible to do more and more. and fewer people will actually really need macOS.

if I had $100mil to spend on either development of ipadOS or porting macOS to ARM, I'd definitely spend them on developing ipadOS. intel processors suck? bring AMD to macbooks.
Switching to AMD would still likely be a big chunk of work (both for Apple optimising the OS, and for developers updating apps) if you wanted to maximise the benefits. I think too any people see AMD as an easy drop in replacement, but despite being x86 their chips are still going to be very different to Intel's. Unlike Windows which is designed to try and get on with all platforms as best it can, MacOS is a finely tuned OS which has only had to run on Intel chips for over a decade. Then of course if you put in the effort, you'd be at the mercy of AMD staying ahead of Intel in the future. While AMD absolutely deserve to do well with these 4000 series chips, I don't think they're a good fit for Apple that likes µm precise optimisation of hardware and software interoperation. Nor for that matter are Intel if they're not going to be consistently pushing out the best performing chips going forward.

Reactions: awesomedeluxe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.