Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm hoping for incremental QA improvements given a couple of the problems that I've read about. I am in no hurry to upgrade to a 16. I'd like one but can't justify one.

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
will be Interesting to see when upgrading the 13/14" MBP to 32gb ram and 512 ssd will it be more or less the same price of the similar specs 16" (which is very likely if we start at 8gb ram and 256 ssd)

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
its never worth it... when was the last time waiting was worth it?

If they use the 10nm chips on the 13” and give 32GB option and the crazy improved iGPU, definitely worth it.

Actually, the keyboard/escape key change alone makes it worth it.

macnmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2017
Apple Park
If they use the 10nm chips on the 13” and give 32GB option and the crazy improved iGPU, definitely worth it.

the keyboard is nice, the esc key i dont get... whats the big deal about that...

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
If they made something in-between the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro, then the decision would be a lot easier. I'd just offload CPU intensive stuff and screen share in. That would mean that I would need less in a laptop.

awesomedeluxe

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009

Yeah I agree. Let's not undersell the conservative estimate for what the new 13" will bring:

• Vastly improved keyboard
  • Around 33% more execute units in the GPU
  • LPDDR4 RAM finally
  • +15% IPC on the CPU
Yes, it would be awesome to see a larger Mini LED display. I'll also be a little disappointed when, inevitably, all we get from this new model is Apple fixing the keyboard they broke themselves and Intel bringing us the technology they promised us four years ago, but this is still a huge improvement on all fronts.

carlos700

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2004
Omaha, NE
4 years is a bit stretching it. Now they did promise a 10nm shrink (Cannon Lake) in 2017. But Ice Lake was generally expected in 2018/2019. So really only 1 year off. Now 10nm desktop delays is a whole different story. With all of that said, my guess is in 2014-2017 Intel was not expecting AMD to come out with Zen, Zen+, Zen2, so they probably had no reason to speed things up. Which is why they kept stretching out 14nm.

Reactions: ModusOperandi

jercompton

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016
Yeah I agree. Let's not undersell the conservative estimate for what the new 13" will bring:

• Vastly improved keyboard
  • Around 33% more execute units in the GPU
  • LPDDR4 RAM finally
  • +15% IPC on the CPU
Yes, it would be awesome to see a larger Mini LED display. I'll also be a little disappointed when, inevitably, all we get from this new model is Apple fixing the keyboard they broke themselves and Intel bringing us the technology they promised us four years ago, but this is still a huge improvement on all fronts.
Are you going to get the 13" if it comes out next month? Or going to wait till they release the 14" mini LED display? I'm so lost of which one to pick out of.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
4 years is a bit stretching it. Now they did promise a 10nm shrink (Cannon Lake) in 2017. But Ice Lake was generally expected in 2018/2019. So really only 1 year off. Now 10nm desktop delays is a whole different story. With all of that said, my guess is in 2014-2017 Intel was not expecting AMD to come out with Zen, Zen+, Zen2, so they probably had no reason to speed things up. Which is why they kept stretching out 14nm.
Nominally, they're a solid 2 years behind their original schedule, ICL would have been available en masse early 2018 by their original plan. But as this is the first real round of 10nm chips, it would be better to compare this to the early 2017 release of Cannon Lake they originally had planned - so that's 3 years behind. But also the chips they've actually got out still aren't what they originally wanted for 10nm. Not only have yield issues prevented 10nm H parts, but the transistor density and performance isn't exactly what they wanted either. By this time next year when we hopefully see 10nm H that's going to be 4 years behind their original plan for 10nm in early 2017.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I'm so lost of which one to pick out of.
Difference will not be major but minor. If you are in the market right now for new laptop, no point in waiting next upgrade with mini LED, since every time something around the corner.
This coming upgrade will be huge, since 10nm Intel gives 3x of iGPU performance to MBP 13. Since it has no dGPU, then this is considered as a big upgrade.
No big change will be there for next 2 years. So you can buy when released, enjoy 2 years and see no difference with newer models.
If you have something to work with, and not so urgent to upgrade, then you can wait.
Otherwise if you are interested in laptop displays, then 4k from Lenovo X1 and Dell XPS 15 beats the display of all MBPs, even MBP 16".

awesomedeluxe

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
Are you going to get the 13" if it comes out next month? Or going to wait till they release the 14" mini LED display? I'm so lost of which one to pick out of.
Well, I would absolutely recommend you wait for the 13" to upgrade to Ice Lake. Not only should it happen soon, it will come with all the upsides in my previous post.

Waiting for a 14" Mini LED Mac is a totally different game. We don't know if it's going to happen at all really. If you need a machine soon, I wouldn't hold out for this with everything that's going on right now. But better tech is always on the way if you're in no hurry.

Oh man. No, this is not true at all. Here's a good read on it, but if you'd rather just look at old slides:

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 5.28.35 PM.png

10nm in 2015.

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 5.29.08 PM.png

The Cannon Lake above was honestly supposed to be better in many respects than the Ice Lake we are getting now. Like Falhófnir said, the "Cannon Lake" we got was a borderline fake product, and Ice Lake is the actual first-gen 10nm part.

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 5.28.49 PM.png

Another slide where Intel promises 10nm in 2016, and also tries to dunk on other fabs for delivering 10nm as late as 2017.

One thing I feel like I should add for context. Back then, Intel's Tick Tock was relentless and, it seemed, infallible. When they said 10nm was coming in 2015 or 2016, we really, really believed that because Intel had always delivered. These have been a special few years where Intel went from delivering nonstop improvements to architecture and process to delivering basically nothing at all.

Last edited:

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
Sorry not following this very closely, is it correct to say :

1) The next update for the 13 will almost surely be a 14.1 around May/June (from March 3th Ming-Chi Kuo leak)
2) This will be quite an upgrade for the iGPU but not so much regarding CPU
3) The release after this one should be quite a big jump for the CPU

I'm on a late 2016 TB 13 right now, for which I had to change the battery twice due to it getting swollen (one time under warranty), will probably go through the next update, but if 3) above effectively true, might also wait for the next after next.

stlow

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2020
Sorry not following this very closely, is it correct to say :

1) The next update for the 13 will almost surely be a 14.1 around May/June (from March 3th Ming-Chi Kuo leak)
2) This will be quite an upgrade for the iGPU but not so much regarding CPU
3) The release after this one should be quite a big jump for the CPU

I'm on a late 2016 TB 13 right now, for which I had to change the battery twice due to it getting swollen (one time under warranty), will probably go through the next update, but if 3) above effectively true, might also wait for the next after next.

Kuo said Apple will release a MBP 14.1” with mini LED this year. The consensus seems to be that mini LED displays aren’t ready for a June release, so there is speculating that the May/June refresh will keep the 13.3” display for now and the 14.1” mini LED display follows in the fall.
The way I see it, mini LED or not, releasing a 13,3” display after the 16” would be weird regarding the thinner bezel design. So I’m hoping for the 14.1” in June, and the mini LED upgrade in the fall.

Reactions: Arthur75

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Kuo said Apple will release a MBP 14.1” with mini LED this year. The consensus seems to be that mini LED displays aren’t ready for a June release, so there is speculating that the May/June refresh will keep the 13.3” display for now and the 14.1” mini LED display follows in the fall.
The way I see it, mini LED or not, releasing a 13,3” display after the 16” would be weird regarding the thinner bezel design. So I’m hoping for the 14.1” in June, and the mini LED upgrade in the fall.
Yeah i think that’s best case scenario 14.1 regular display in May/June with Mini-Led in September/October

Reactions: stlow

stuffx

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2020
Amazon accidentally leaked iPad pro keyboard availability on May 30. I bet the 13/14” MBP will be the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.