Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
the keyboard is nice, the esc key i dont get... whats the big deal about that...

If you don't need to use the escape key a lot in your workflow then its probably a non-issue. For coders and some others its a huge pain to rely on a virtual key. There is inconsistent behaviour of being able to use the left edge to the ESC (it works in some scenarios and not others). There is the issue of it being non-responsive at times but worst of all, muscle memory of feeling for the top left physical key results in me pressing the key above TAB instead of the ESC key.

Reactions: oldtime and AFPBoy

KowalskiFUT

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
EU
I have 10 years old MBP 15" which I am about to replace. I have Mac Pro in office for serious work, so my old trusty rag was decent for a long time for home usage. I hope for new MBP 14" with 6-core i7, 32 gigs of RAM, and dedicated graphics (Radeon Pro 5300M would be enough).

• Haha
Reactions: pneves1975

Tony01

macrumors member
May 25, 2019
Do you think that one of the base version you can find in stores and online will come with 16 gigs of ram?

jercompton

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016
The rumored for the new updated Macbook Pro 13" that is supposedly going to be released next month. Could it be a possibility that apple will make it a 14" display just not a mini LED. Like they did with the 16"?

jercompton

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016
Questions everyone, if the new MacBook gets released next month. How will you Spec it out? I am a Cyber Security Analyst, so I work with VM (Virtual Machines) etc. I know that 8gb of RAM is not enough for me. So i'm either considering 16gb or 32gb of RAM, what do you think?

Should i get an i5 or i7 processor?

How i want to spec my macbook pro is at least 16gb RAM, i5 or i7 processor, and 1TB of SSD.
Recommendations?

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Questions everyone, if the new MacBook gets released next month. How will you Spec it out? I am a Cyber Security Analyst, so I work with VM (Virtual Machines) etc. I know that 8gb of RAM is not enough for me. So i'm either considering 16gb or 32gb of RAM, what do you think?

How i want to spec my macbook pro is at least 16gb RAM, i5 or i7 processor, and 1TB of SSD.
Recommendations?
As there will likely be a 28W i5 I’d wait and see if upgrading to the i7 is worth it before choosing it

Reactions: jercompton

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
Kuo said Apple will release a MBP 14.1” with mini LED this year. The consensus seems to be that mini LED displays aren’t ready for a June release, so there is speculating that the May/June refresh will keep the 13.3” display for now and the 14.1” mini LED display follows in the fall.
The way I see it, mini LED or not, releasing a 13,3” display after the 16” would be weird regarding the thinner bezel design. So I’m hoping for the 14.1” in June, and the mini LED upgrade in the fall.

Thanks, these two releases with exactly the same CPU GPU RAM ?
Such a thing already happened ?

carlos700

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2004
Omaha, NE
Nominally, they're a solid 2 years behind their original schedule, ICL would have been available en masse early 2018 by their original plan. But as this is the first real round of 10nm chips, it would be better to compare this to the early 2017 release of Cannon Lake they originally had planned - so that's 3 years behind. But also the chips they've actually got out still aren't what they originally wanted for 10nm. Not only have yield issues prevented 10nm H parts, but the transistor density and performance isn't exactly what they wanted either. By this time next year when we hopefully see 10nm H that's going to be 4 years behind their original plan for 10nm in early 2017.

Oh yes. If we are counting H series or even S, then yes 4 years behind. Perhaps more when is all said and done. It's interesting that Tiger Lake will likely also cap at 4-cores for mobile and that we will have to continue 14nm for 6+ cores. It sounds like they are back porting Sunny Cove to 14nm for desktops so who knows.

RegularGuy09

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2015
Do you guys think Apple will discontinue the base 13" MBP with TB ports and simplify the lineup more?

Having both the Air and base 13" Pro being so similar is such bad lineup strategy lol.

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2020
Do you guys think Apple will discontinue the base 13" MBP with TB ports and simplify the lineup more?

Having both the Air and base 13" Pro being so similar is such bad lineup strategy lol.
Maybe use a custom TDP part to differentiate? Also keep in mind the MBA is thermally limited, the MBP has more headroom b/c it uses a heatsink.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009

They recently found identifiers in the 10.15.5 beta for 15 watt Ice Lake CPUs, those would go in the lower end 13" MBP model. So it's probably being refreshed as well.

Reactions: jgorman

jgorman

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
Last edited:

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
worst of all, muscle memory of feeling for the top left physical key results in me pressing the key above TAB instead of the ESC key.

That's why I already remapped that key to ESC. As a long term vi user (since 1988), I need ESC. I actually learned vi on machines that had esc right there in the main key block because it reduces the distance you need to travel.

For VMs, you should go for 1) more cores because the VMs will use them and 2) more memory because when e.g. the RAM requirement grows, you have to multiply it by how many machines run. I'm in a similar situation and I would go for 32gb/1tb (VMs also take lots of storage).

As for cores, with the 16" I would go for 8. If the 13-14" only gets quadcores max, that's for me a reason to look at PCs with a 4900HS. I would probably manage fine with 4, but it's kind of silly to invest in that when you know there's a mobile processor in town that kicks dust in the face of desktop processors for multicore.

Reactions: c0ppo and ctjack

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I would probably manage fine with 4, but it's kind of silly to invest in that when you know there's a mobile processor in town that kicks dust in the face of desktop processors for multicore.
Truly agree. You can't phrase it any better. With ryzen 4900hs coming this year, and zen 3 coming next year, investment in a entry level Mac is just investing in sleek design which is no more backed by top hardware.
Previously there were better laptops in Windows world, but 20-50% performance difference can be tackled by Mac design and weight, price(win laptops cost same or more), optimization. And choice was 50-50.
Now the 50-50 is sliding away, since 4900hs(8core/16threads)/1tb/16gb ram/1.6kg laptops are equipped with 2060 max-q, is beating MBP 16 while costing only $1500. While initially before this ryzen news, buying MBP was well justified.
But now I need 16gb ram upgrade, and MBP 13 with 256gb/16gb ram would cost me $1500. So it survives no comparison.
====================
Everything above is written from money-wise-investment point. If for leisure without counting money and performance per dollar, Macbooks are good any day.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Truly agree. You can't phrase it any better. With ryzen 4900hs coming this year, and zen 3 coming next year, investment in a entry level Mac is just investing in sleek design which is no more backed by top hardware.
Previously there were better laptops in Windows world, but 20-50% performance difference can be tackled by Mac design and weight, price(win laptops cost same or more), optimization. And choice was 50-50.
Now the 50-50 is sliding away, since 4900hs(8core/16threads)/1tb/16gb ram/1.6kg laptops are equipped with 2060 max-q, is beating MBP 16 while costing only $1500. While initially before this ryzen news, buying MBP was well justified.
But now I need 16gb ram upgrade, and MBP 13 with 256gb/16gb ram would cost me $1500. So it survives no comparison.
====================
Everything above is written from money-wise-investment point. If for leisure without counting money and performance per dollar, Macbooks are good any day.
Your comparison is severely lacking if it only involves the CPU and GPU benchmarks and not a more holistic view of the systems in general. There's a lot more to a laptop than that, and it's why spec people keep not understanding why it feels so much better to use Apple systems.

Reactions: souko

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Your comparison is severely lacking if it only involves the CPU and GPU benchmarks and not a more holistic view of the systems in general. There's a lot more to a laptop than that, and it's why spec people keep not understanding why it feels so much better to use Apple systems.
I think I understand the advantages of Apple systems a bit. I've used one the last 6 years (after an initial stint late 1980s) and I can compare quite well with both Linux in plenty of environments (desktop, server, IoT) and Windows (since v3.1). Yes, there's more to it than CPU. But if you would swap in that AMD 4900HS into the rest of what makes Apple great, it would be even greater. That's what makes it infuriating. It's the extra potential. As ctjack says: when the performance is lacking just a bit, you can ignore it. But when you see the 4900HS getting double performance than a chip that uses twice the power, it makes you go: come on, kick out that smokey slow Trabant and throw in the Ferrari already, please!

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I think I understand the advantages of Apple systems a bit. I've used one the last 6 years (after an initial stint late 1980s) and I can compare quite well with both Linux in plenty of environments (desktop, server, IoT) and Windows (since v3.1). Yes, there's more to it than CPU. But if you would swap in that AMD 4900HS into the rest of what makes Apple great, it would be even greater. That's what makes it infuriating. It's the extra potential. As ctjack says: when the performance is lacking just a bit, you can ignore it. But when you see the 4900HS getting double performance than a chip that uses twice the power, it makes you go: come on, kick out that smokey slow Trabant and throw in the Ferrari already, please!
I agree putting that chip in would make a good thing better. But one thing to consider - do we know what's going to happen with Tiger Lake? It could retake the lead when they get 10nm H series CPUs out, then will we ping pong back to wanting Intel again?

I understand they had a misstep, but Apple is playing the long term game here, and there's probably a lot more to it behind the scenes than just one generation of CPUs.

Also the 4900HS doesn't support thunderbolt 3 AFAIK, which is a non-starter for Apple as far as I'm concerned considering their port decisions.

jgorman

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
There also might be a problem with Thunderbolt 3. None of the laptops coming out with the new Ryzen 4000 processors will have Thunderbolt 3 ports, not even lines that usually have them, like the Thinkpad T-series.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Also the 4900HS doesn't support thunderbolt 3 AFAIK, which is a non-starter for Apple as far as I'm concerned considering their port decisions.

Any OEM can use TB3 with AMD CPU if they choose so. It's not a matter of if AMD supports it, it's about if OEM supports it or not.

There also might be a problem with Thunderbolt 3. None of the laptops coming out with the new Ryzen 4000 processors will have Thunderbolt 3 ports, not even lines that usually have them, like the Thinkpad T-series.

All laptops with AMD CPU at this moment aren't premium. Lenovo X and P series isn't using AMD.
I don't expect any premium laptops to support AMD until end of this year.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
As great as AMD does on benchmarks, I hear they have some optimisation issues on certain professional workflows as compared to Intel (eg CAD, certain scientific field programs, some perform better due to compilation used etc). I wonder if this is a consideration as to why Intel is favoured (ideally they programmed would work just as well on all processors but alas...).

Probably not, it’s probably all just down to business reasons, be it contractual obligations, costs to redesign, or brand marketing (Intel is just more known to the general public as the “better CPU”).

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I probably will get a 13“/14” model with 512GB storage and 16G RAM the second it is available for order on the website. I’m passing on the MacBook Air, seems like the upcoming model will be the true successor to my 2015 MacBook Pro. I could see owning that laptop until 2025

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.